FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: One man Canoe or Kayak(Pros and Cons)?  (Read 23644 times)

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
Re: One man Canoe or Kayak(Pros and Cons)?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 24, 2006, 07:44 PM »
Kayaks are going to much faster hands down.

a canoe is going to be stedier. and will hold more of your junk.

~Neal
  i dont know about more steady my kayak is 30" across n the center of gravity is much lower than a canoe
OR      [IMG]

crazycrawler

« Reply #16 on: Apr 24, 2006, 09:36 PM »
I've had something called a maxi pokeboat for seven years now. Google poke boat to see them. Only 32 pounds for my version and they have a kevlar one even lighter. It is incredibly stable compared to my wide oldtown canoe. Got caught out in whitecaps a few times and got back near shore without trouble. And tough. I've beat the *#+! out of it draging it around duck hunting as well as going over rocky rapids when fishing. Even blew off the rack during a high wind storm and down the hill on our property once. I made a home made electric motor mount that works pretty well. It has drawbacks like any boat. No keel so it doesn't track as well as my canoe, you sit low which gives it the stability but makes it like getting into a kayak, and the worst thing to me, quite expensive. They deliver to your house (for a fee). I expect it to last for years if not a lifetime but will bite the bullet if the time comes to replace it.

Eye Hunter

« Reply #17 on: Apr 24, 2006, 09:57 PM »
I would like to ad that Sportspal makes a nice rig. I have a 14' with seats and motor board. I hook an elec trollin motor to it and run all day on a charge, or drag it into the ponds with one of the bicycle style carriers. I believe it weighs 43 lbs and it has taken one heck of a beating on small streams. I got it at Havelick snow shoe co in Mayfield NY. Also I think they make a 12' that weighs 29 lbs. Just a bit cheaper than Raddison. but just as tough.  ::)

dawgchaser

« Reply #18 on: Apr 25, 2006, 08:26 AM »
                       I have the 14' Radison and it is hard to beat. Extremely  stable and very quiet
                       with the foam inside. Great with 2 people or I put some weight (rocks in bucket)
                       in front and go solo. Only negative is it pushes some water with 2 people in it
                       when going a long distance.

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #19 on: Apr 25, 2006, 11:22 AM »
I was about to chime in and say...get a "sportspal"....but as I clicked on the link I noticed that sportspal is made by radison for Canadian customers..

these canoes are top notch....I love mine, I use it all the time, super light weight so I cant throw her on the roof by myself with no issues....

the extra foam on the sides and interior makes it a bit more steady when fighting larger fish and you can get up on one knee and still feel comfortable.

As for the oar locks I think they are in a weird location and I find it hard to use them, but I love the motor mount, I bought trolling motor last season and I can move around the lake with ease.

My fav feature is the seats, I find them very comfortable and I can move easily with a fish on. very confortable and give decent back support

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #20 on: Apr 25, 2006, 01:56 PM »
good luck with your new toy slipbob!
Oh Lord - there he is, it feels like a big one, please don\'t let me lose him, I\'ve never caught one this big before.  I\'ll try not to horse him, and if I land him, I promise to release him, and make a graphite replica, if my wife says it\'s ok.  Thank you for the Rapalas...

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #21 on: Apr 25, 2006, 02:08 PM »
good luck with your new toy slipbob!

Thanks oc.  New toys are cool.  8)  Wait till next year when I buy a brand new 16ft aluminum boat with a big ole 4 stroke on her and a nice little 4 stroke kicker for some walleye and trout trolling.  ;)
cool.  Bet you are looking forward to tomorrow AND next year!  I have a 16ft Tracker with a 40hp and a 14ft Sea Nymph with a 9.9 and a Water Skeeter 9ft personal pontoon boat.  I also picked up a new 46lb thrust Minn Kota to push all three for quiet power, last friday.  GOTTA LOVE THE TOYS!   
Oh Lord - there he is, it feels like a big one, please don\'t let me lose him, I\'ve never caught one this big before.  I\'ll try not to horse him, and if I land him, I promise to release him, and make a graphite replica, if my wife says it\'s ok.  Thank you for the Rapalas...

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #22 on: Apr 25, 2006, 03:15 PM »
well lets see a pic of it after you get it all decked out with your gear n gadgets
OR      [IMG]

Eye Hunter

« Reply #23 on: Apr 25, 2006, 05:00 PM »
Okay folks it's a done deal.  I have sitting in the bed of my Toyota a beautiful new 12ft Radisson Canoe that I bought this morning.  It weighs 34lb, comes with the motor mount, oarlocks, oars and 2 foam seats.  I can't wait to use it and I'll be taking it out for her maiden voyage tomorrow afternoon in search of trout.   :clapping: :thumbup_smilie: :clapping: :thumbup_smilie:
Hey Slip where ya gonna do the maiden voyage ? Moreau lake trout should start hitting soon.

Eye Hunter

« Reply #24 on: Apr 25, 2006, 08:50 PM »
Hey Slip where ya gonna do the maiden voyage ? Moreau lake trout should start hitting soon.

We'll be paying that lake a little visit real soon with the new canoe.   ;)  Some nice bows swimming around in that lake I hear :unsure: :whistling:
  And some real nice Brookies also. Let me know how you make out.

Wee Man

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2006, 08:17 PM »
go for the kayak
Okay I'm ready to buy myself a one man kayak or a small 12ft Canoe like the 34lb Raddison model that looks very portable.  I currently have a 16ft Old Town but it's too much to deal with myself as far as portaging it any kind of distance.  What's better in your opinion, a small kayak or a small canoe for solo pond fishing?  Which one is more comfortable, more stable and in general easier to fish out of?  I have never fished out of, let alone, sat in a kayak but I'm just looking for some input on the topic.  Thanks in advance. 

Big Burk

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2006, 11:41 PM »
Wee Man i would suggest reading the entire thread befor posting a reply. he already bought a 14ft radisson canoe so that ends it and i know that you havent rode in either one :-\

Hood

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2006, 01:27 AM »
canoe man....hands down, I am goin after the 14' radisson with a square transom at 47 lbs or so...if u get one come on up and we can get back into brookie country....kayaks are nice if u wanna run rapids and tour the scenery, if u wanna fish get a canoe and dont look back....last weekend back in the backcountry ponds it was all radisson canoes, the guy in yaks appeared lost and more vulnerable to davey jones.....OK im way behind the thread....this is an edit....good choice man ;D
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2006, 10:44 AM »
I love my 12ft Radisson.

any pics yet SB?  here is my personal pontoon boat:

Pikeguy

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2006, 12:04 PM »
OC, that's a great looking setup. How much does something like that cost?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.