FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: One man Canoe or Kayak(Pros and Cons)?  (Read 23634 times)

slipbob

One man Canoe or Kayak(Pros and Cons)?
« on: Apr 24, 2006, 09:15 AM »
Okay I'm ready to buy myself a one man kayak or a small 12ft Canoe like the 34lb Raddison model that looks very portable.  I currently have a 16ft Old Town but it's too much to deal with myself as far as portaging it any kind of distance.  What's better in your opinion, a small kayak or a small canoe for solo pond fishing?  Which one is more comfortable, more stable and in general easier to fish out of?  I have never fished out of, let alone, sat in a kayak but I'm just looking for some input on the topic.  Thanks in advance. 

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
Re: One man Canoe or Kayak(Pros and Cons)?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2006, 10:25 AM »
i love my kayak its very stable n the seat adjust 3 ways the back goes up forward and back n the seat lifts for your legs , 42 #  10' long 30" wide and you only need about 4 or 5 inches of water and has built in flotation and dry storage in rear , i paid 525.00 $ for it and worth every penny, their are lots of models out there goggle them n find what meets your needs some are designed just for fishing with built in rod holders and other gadgets, i would stick to OLD TOWN , WILDERNESS SYSTEMS OR PERCEPTION                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
OR      [IMG]

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2006, 10:40 AM »
I've found it much easier to get in and out of sit on top models when kayak fishing.  But I've finally conceded to fishing out of a pontoon.  It's much more stable and comfy than either canoe or kayak, like a lazy boy on the water.  They can be a handful in the wind, but I don't get major canoe back after a long weekend.  I've got the ODC 1018 with the floor.  You might want to check them out if you want to ride higher and more comfortably.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2006, 10:47 AM »
the seat in mine is very comfortable just like a car soft and lots of adjustments but you are right about the sit on top models but i like to keep my leg from getting sun burnt with a spray skirt and if you like you can you can spend the day paddling down a stream or river with some beer and enjoy the sights
OR      [IMG]

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2006, 10:57 AM »
goggle kayaks and that will keep you busy for hours , some places have free shipping n no tax let us know what you decide on
OR      [IMG]

chillywillie

• Team Maine
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2006, 11:03 AM »
I have the same kayak as crowkiller except mine is a 12 footer.  I'm 6' and 240 and it fits me great.  I've sat in it fishing all day and not had to get out.  Once you figure out the getting in/out they're great.  I will take that over a canoe any day.  The only thing a canoe is better for is in the spring when the water is cold you don't have to get your feet wet.

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2006, 11:15 AM »
One needs to get in there boat. ;D ;D
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2006, 11:26 AM »
Yep fish for BASS out of my sit on top kayak. Dagger cayman. And works quite well.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

killitandgrillit

« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2006, 11:53 AM »
I fish solo out of a Perception Swifty. One drawback to the boat is that it has alot of drag...it does not have the typcial kayak "coast" kinda ride. If you want to troll, it's darn near impossible while holding the rod and a paddle. I do know guys that mount trolling motors onto kayaks and that's supposed to work well. Also, handling and managing an anchor rope is a little bit of a pain. From experience, make sure your rods are FAR away from your rope. Had two of mine go overboard a couple of years back.
"I fish because I love to; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but suspect so many other concerns of men equally unimportant- and not nearly so much fun."

chillywillie

• Team Maine
« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2006, 12:47 PM »
I've found it's much easier to troll from my kayak.  I have a rod holder on the side and you just slowly paddle.  No need to switch paddle sides and when you get a fish, you just lay the paddle across the cockpit and you're all set.  They are much much easier to manage by yourself in the wind.  As far as portaging, it's no problem for me to pick it up and rest the seat on my head to carry it.  You do have to get your feet wet because ypu can't push off from shore and kneel in the seat like a canoe.

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2006, 01:07 PM »
i get in mine without getting my feet wet  , just put the front half in the water get in and go n they make paddle locks or tethers  to hold your paddles
OR      [IMG]

adkbrookie

« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2006, 04:59 PM »
slipbob,

the canoe is the way to go in my opinion.

canoes tend to be lighter than kayaks in part because there is no deck on top.

in the kayak you have limited space and can end up w/ fish flopping around between your legs with treble hooks and stuff. not the most pleasant experience in my opinion. :-\ and since there is more room in the canoe you tend to be more comefortable.

radisons are good. to me it sounds like you should go w/  the lighter modle. i believe that 2 people can easily fit into it. every pound makes a difference. try one of the crazycreek chairs instead of the ones that they give you w/ the boat.

rowing to troll is great. i find it much easier than anything else.

good luck w/ your decision.

Bartman44

« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2006, 05:40 PM »
I got the kid an 11.5 Perception last summer and it's kind of neat to fish out of. I'm going to get another one so we can fish together.  I also fish out of a canoe and personally like being a bit higher up than in a kayak.   

I'll be getting the kayak out of the barn shortly if you want to give it a test drive.   

akdg

« Reply #13 on: Apr 24, 2006, 06:41 PM »
Slipbob, go with the 14' radisson for what it sounds like you want to do, you won't regret it.  The option to carry two people makes it really nice, and they are much more stable than a regular canoe or kayak.  Oars make it way more easier when fishing, esp. trolling.  Make sure you get a radission and not one of the cheaper look a likes. :)

fishingonly2002

• hhmm I think I just felt a little thump.....
« Reply #14 on: Apr 24, 2006, 07:40 PM »
Kayaks are going to much faster hands down.

a canoe is going to be stedier. and will hold more of your junk.

~Neal
hey dad..... do alligators eat kayaks?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.