FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bucktail jigs  (Read 10358 times)

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
Bucktail jigs
« on: Jul 25, 2006, 02:12 PM »
Has anyone ever tried to tie their own bucktail jigs?  I found these rattlin bucktail jigs at Gander Mountain and they work awesome.  Now they are out and I can't find them anywhere.  I have a ton of buckshot rattle jigs and some bucktail but I can't figure out how to tie it on.

Anyone?  Anyone?

your help is much appreciated.
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
Re: Bucktail jigs
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2006, 02:51 PM »
What is the specific problem?  Do you own a vice?  It would make life easier, but I don't think it's a deal breaker.  Do you own a bobbin?  I think your going to need that.

Being an experienced fly tier, my mind just thinks "cut off a hunk and lash it on there."  If you give a better idea of what you need, I'd be happy to help.

MODIFIED: Does this help?

http://www.lurebuilding.nl/engspinnerbucktailthijs.html
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

OTIS

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2006, 03:10 PM »
A vice of any type would greatly improve your ability to tie jigs, other than that I don't think you need any special equipment.  Although like xrhino said, a bobbin would probably make life easier.

Start your thread by tying a knot onto the jig head, and then give it a couple wraps.  Cut the amount and length of bucktail that you would like to use, then push it up the hook to the bottom of the jig head.  Start wrapping the thread moving down the collar of the jig head.  Once you're happy with the wrap, tie off the thread and give it a couple coats of clear nail polish.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2006, 03:17 PM »
thanks guys.  Xrhino I printed out that article and I'll give it another shot tonight.

Pain in the arse this stuff can be.  I got bucktail all over my kitchen.
care for a warm up?

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2006, 03:26 PM »
thanks guys.  Xrhino I printed out that article and I'll give it another shot tonight.

Pain in the arse this stuff can be.  I got bucktail all over my kitchen.
Good luck.  I know what a mess it can be.  Just be glad you aren't spinning and trimming it.  I've got a dustbuster and one of those sticky lint brush things by the door of my tying room and I still find hair and feathers all over the house. >:(

OTIS

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2006, 06:48 AM »
The more you do the better you get.  It doesn't take long to get the hang of it.  Post a couple pics when you get a few done.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2006, 09:55 AM »
The more you do the better you get.  It doesn't take long to get the hang of it.  Post a couple pics when you get a few done.

I will but I still suck pretty bad.  Practice makes perfect.  I can't get the bucktail to stay.  It starts falling apart.
I'll get there I have my handy dandy reference guide from xrhino.
care for a warm up?

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2006, 10:27 AM »
I will but I still suck pretty bad.  Practice makes perfect.  I can't get the bucktail to stay.  It starts falling apart.
I'll get there I have my handy dandy reference guide from xrhino.
That was just the first result from a "tying bucktail" Google search.  I'm sure if you look, you might find one that is more helpful to you.  I just clicked on the first one that I thought looked good.  I'm also looking for a downloadable vid online but none of my usual sites have anything.  You've got me on a mission.

If all else fails, PM me and I'll find out what you want and tie them for you.  I re-tie bucktail spinners for my muskie fishing friends all the time.

perchgypsy

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 02:57 PM »
sorry to start up a old thread just thought it was easier than starting a new one
new addiction for sure when i get some pics ill post them
what colors do people like for walleye ...
does anyone use marabou for walleye as well??

the jigs up

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 08:04 PM »
My fishing buddy ties all of my bucktails. I give him a 10 pack of jigs and he gives me back 5 beautiful bucktails. I like that deal.

He usually uses coarse hair and always starts off with black. Sometimes he adds a flash of white or chartreuse. He also adds a couple of strands of sparkly flash material.

Last year I caught all my fish on a black head, black hair with white streak. The walleye seemed to love it. I also tip it with a Gulp alive leech or 3" minnow. The fish really do hang onto it.

I suggest you mix it up a bit and let the fish tell you what colour they want.

Hope this helps, good luck.
BORN TO FISH...FORCED TO WORK... TO PAY FOR FISHING...

the jigs up

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 09:39 PM »
I should also mention... I caught my biggest Largemouth last year on a black and white bucktail. Almost 6 lbs. I was fishing for Walleye with my favorite jig and BAMM...Mr Largie!!!

Also I should mention he uses nail polish as well to seal it. They seam to last well.

Good Luck, keep practicing.
BORN TO FISH...FORCED TO WORK... TO PAY FOR FISHING...

OTIS

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 06:58 AM »
A couple dabs of super glue while tying in the bucktail to jig head will prevent any hair from pulling out.  I've experimented with this to the point that I couldn't pull hair out of the jig with pliers.  Then do a final coat of nail polish or epoxy to clean up the appearance.

perchgypsy

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 04:11 PM »
so is anyone useing marabou for walleyes??
thanks for the tip otis ;)

perchgypsy

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 05:13 AM »
ttt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.