FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tiger Muskies in the canal/ Mohawk River???  (Read 3811 times)

Mr.Twister

Tiger Muskies in the canal/ Mohawk River???
« on: Aug 07, 2006, 06:55 PM »
I was kind of shocked to hear there are Tiger Muskies in the canal near Little Falls. The DEC has netted a few below the power dam in Little Falls in the Mohawk. Just curious if anyone on here has had any luck with them near Little Falls or anywhere else in the canal. I swear I saw one while fishing near St. Johnsville. I just caught a glimpse of a huge, at least 2.5', back half of a tiger striped fish surfacing near the bank right at my feet after retrieving a big crankbait while smallie fishing.

Anyone else know of them being caught around there, and what would you use to target these in the canal?

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
Re: Tiger Muskies in the canal/ Mohawk River???
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2006, 07:59 PM »
There are some real nice tigers in the Mohawk river.
My brother got a hugh 40+"er out of the Mohawk several years ago while crappie fishing in the spring on a 1-1/2" tubejig and 6# test line. A fight of a life time and that monster will always be on his wall.  8)
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2006, 08:19 PM »
Yup, some big tiggs in there for sure. Fish them like pike, I like big jerkbaits, spinner baits, and big live baits.

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2006, 08:29 PM »
The DEC has been stocking them for a few years

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/stockherk.html

Fishingking

« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2006, 09:49 PM »
I believe Muskie Matt from Mass spends a little time every year chasing them in the Hawk.
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

Mr.Twister

« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2006, 12:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys,

I've never heard anyone around here talk about tigers or catching any out of the canal. I was suprised to learn they are in there. I catch a lot of smallies, rock bass, and walleye in the canal and I've heard of people catching catfish in there also. It's a pretty good fishery for as crappy and muddy as it looks most of the time.

I guess I'll do a little reading up on Tiger Muskies and how to fish them, I've never gone after Pike either.

fishboy

« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2006, 01:31 PM »
Hey guys, glad to hear all the positive talk about the tigers.  Since they all came from my place I would love to see some pictures of the ones you catch.  We have sort of a little bragging board at our place and i would love to have additions to it any time.  PM me if you would like #'s stocked

T
Swim with the fishes
live with the fishes
act like the fishes
smell like the fishes!

dawgchaser

« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2006, 05:47 PM »
               We catch some nice ones in the Utica-Rome area. Open water and through the ice.
               My biggest is 42", it was a beautiful fish and was released after a photo. Tigers are
               one of the meanest fish I have ever caught. They are also a very pretty  fish
               with those stripes.

Muskie Matt

« Reply #8 on: Aug 09, 2006, 03:15 PM »
Here's one my stepfather caught last year above locke 18 in Herkimer.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2006, 01:18 AM »
That is awesome,  :thumbup_smilie: I love thos vertical strips.  :bowdown:
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Mr.Twister

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 09:33 AM »
Hey everybody,

I haven't been on here in awhile; I actually missed a couple posts in this thread. If you guys are still around thanks for the posts and especially the pic near Herkimer. That's only about 15 mins away from me, I might have to give it a try sometime.

What time during the year is best for the muskies, and where (what type of structure etc.) should I look for them in a place like the canal?

Thanks for the help guys,

ugp685

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 09:12 PM »
I love tigers, I have been wanting to catch them for about 10 years and finally this past week me and some of my college buddies got into them on Otisco.  They are just as awesome as I could have imagined.  We caught almost all of them on Jointed rapalas #9 and 11, black and gold.

But now that I am moving back home to Vernon, I have been looking at different places that have Tigers because I now have musky fever.  I have come up with canal/mohawk river, lake moraine, and lelands ponds.  So its nice to hear of the tigers so close to home,  any input on techniques/lures, time of day/what month would be great, I will probably target these most of the time from now on(I also want to try some bowfin).  I would like to try some large shiners and suckers for them but down here in Cortland its hard to find any minnows bigger than 4" for $9/dozen, so hopefully I can find them cheaper back at home.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.