My Fish Finder Main > General Fishing Discussion

Aluminum boat hull repair question

<< < (3/5) > >>

Left Handed Model:
JB Weld....  smear on...let it harden... ;) no more leak... ;D

biggeorge50:
I had 2 rivets leaking.  As a temporary repair I drilled them out and hammered a lead split shot in each hole.  3 years later the "temporary" repair is still working.

grumpymoe:
just an after thought to a few posts....JB Weld is a top-notch product....however....it is not the same as some of the steel epoxy products out there....this stuff is absolutely amazing and FAST...cut off a chunk and work it in your fingers until well mixed....(I suggest latex gloves to keep your hands clean only)....just like a little ball of putty....and you work it into the hole...spread out with your thumbtip....(they even suggest using a bit of water to feather out )....its paintable, can be sanded, drilled, cut....will adhere to glass, metal, aluminum, steel and just about anything else you can think of...the reason I think so highly of this stuff, is this past weekend, I had a 2nd water pressure tank on our home well that was starting to seep....I planned well ahead of time...all the tools to remove a tank from galvanized pipe....to make a story short, I didnt and couldnt break the fitting without using heat or redoing the entire section of pipe...as a last resort, I applied the product to the water pressure tank and allowed the one full hour to cure...the result?.....PERFECT....now I can wait for milder spring weather before tackling a project that needs to be corrected properly....this stuff when used appropriately is the CATS MEOW!!!!....I intend on carrying it with me on all outdoor adventures...never know when it will come in handy......Ramlin Grump

MXFisher:
Well I went with J-B water weld. Seemed like the best choice out of the selection at the store. It's in it's 20 minute drying/hardening period right now. I'll let you guys know how it works out....

Hopefully I will be fishing this weekend :-\ :-\ :tipup:

spoonfed:
 the only thing with jb is it isn't very forgiving with movement.  with an alum boat being flexible it might not hold to long for you.  i used it on a leaking duck boat and only got one yr out of it. it flaked and peeled around the edges.  i used a 2 part clear epoxy i bought at boaters world made for use on alum boats. can't remember the name but it was quite pricey. like 30 bucks but its held now for three yrs. hope the jb works for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version