FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trout season is 22 days away!  (Read 3488 times)

Spikehorn11

Re: Trout season is 22 days away!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2007, 10:54 PM »
I have had good luck using Phobes. For clear water I use silver or rainbow trout color and merky water I use gold. If I stay in the same spot I usually toss out a line with a trout worm on it. Smaller worms have always worked more for me.

dooberhoopa

• ridin' fishin' or huntin' i just wanna be outside
« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2007, 09:24 AM »
the countdown is on.....not many days now...now hopefully all the streams will quiet down
Team MIRC NYRC Chapter.....ROCK BASS ON!
Tis better to have fished and lied than never fished at all

keva

« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2007, 07:15 PM »
Looks like this week will treat us  trout fisherman nicely, but that can't be, trout opener always has to have high water here. I imagine the water will be a bit high, but I prefer it that way.

Spikehorn11

« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2007, 12:47 AM »
Looks like this week will treat us  trout fisherman nicely, but that can't be, trout opener always has to have high water here. I imagine the water will be a bit high, but I prefer it that way.

After that rain today I think it will be high water. Maybe it will go down but they are calling for rain this weekend also. Get the rain gear out.

keva

« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2007, 06:26 AM »
We are suppose to have three days now of no rain, which will give the streams I fish plenty of time to return to normal, then Saturday and opener we are suppose to get a drizzle, which shouldn't raise them too much. I am gonna hope for the best. I hate it when the streams are hardly fishable opener.

scipiohillbilly

• If you don't fish I don't want to know you
« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2007, 07:52 AM »
The streams should be in good shape for satuday with 3 days of no rain. Don't know if I'll go though. I use to go every opener for years like it was some religous holiday. Most of the time the conditions sucked as did the fishing. Now I only go if the conditions are worthy of my effort. Much rather be in the boat cathching crappie!!
-Hillbilly-

dooberhoopa

« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:21 AM »
yeah the action isnt very good on opening day but i have a 6 year streak of catching at least one on the opener that i have to go just to defend my title....praying that it doesnt end this year

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #22 on: Mar 27, 2007, 09:37 AM »
Have to go out on April 1st. I've never made out on opening day of trout before.

thekamikazekid

• 24" 6 1/2 Lb. Brownie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 27, 2007, 05:18 PM »
does anyone fish the NYC watershed reservoirs on the opener?  I want to hit rondout on april 1st but am not sure how the crowds are.  Plus I'm lookin to find good starting spots around the lake for good sized browns and lakers, anyone know any?  ???  I landed a 6lb 6oz brown at pepacton last year on the opener and now I don't even want to fish the streams anymore  ;D

bigfish1556

« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2007, 07:52 PM »
You'll either find me on the flashy headwater streams around the eastern fingerlakes, or on the lakes themselves.........the more "traditional" opener trout streams in CNY are still going to be like chocolate milk this weekend.........
We may say of angling, as Dr. Boteler said of strawberries, “Doubtless God could have made a better berry, but doubtless God never did;” and so, if I might be judge, God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.  -Izaak Walton

YogiBear

« Reply #25 on: Mar 28, 2007, 08:21 AM »
How do you guys rig up for the stream trout?
Hooks, wieght used (how much usually and above or below)
Bobbers
And mostly what kind of rod are you using?
(I see alot of guys using the little ultralites and I have always used a 9ft noodle rod)

Hookset

« Reply #26 on: Mar 28, 2007, 08:51 AM »
This year I'm going to rely on the 3wt with a San Juan worm and an ultralight leader.  Leaving the spinning gear home this opener.  I'm going to walk the banks of the Kaydeross in the Rock City Falls area and look for holes/eddy's.  The fly line will probably never touch the water.  Short releases and just let the leader and tippet run through the hole dangling the ugly little San Juan.  The streams are high right now so hopefully the flow subsides a bit before Sunday morning.  Unfortunately, the 1st falling on a weekend is going the bring out hordes of people who will inevitably stomp through every available run or riffle.  Ought to be interesting.  Tight lines all!
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #27 on: Mar 28, 2007, 10:00 AM »
How do you guys rig up for the stream trout?
Hooks, wieght used (how much usually and above or below)
Bobbers
And mostly what kind of rod are you using?
(I see alot of guys using the little ultralites and I have always used a 9ft noodle rod)

I use a telescoping pole. collapses nicely into my backpack. I use 6 pound line. tie a size 10 hook, no weight. Put on a small worm and cast up stream and let it float down stream. works great.

dooberhoopa

« Reply #28 on: Mar 28, 2007, 12:32 PM »
ive used spinning tackle for the past couple of yrs but i got a fly rod halfway thru the year last yr so thats what im gonna try first this year ive only been able to get one trout on it so far but it is fun ive missed and broken off a bunch i keep forgetting that its 2 lb leader and not the 17 lb stuff i have on my scum frog rod

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.