FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Weaver Lake or Young Lake in Richfield Springs NY  (Read 8002 times)

ryaneth

Weaver Lake or Young Lake in Richfield Springs NY
« on: Mar 31, 2007, 07:36 PM »
I am wondering if anyone knows of these two little lakes and how they might be for panfishing.   What other species if any.  I pass by often and they both look like they might be fun to poke around in a canoe.   thanks in advance... ryaneth

northeastfisher

Re: Weaver Lake or Young Lake in Richfield Springs NY
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2007, 10:10 PM »
Pickeral, largemouth bass and panfish many which are loaded with grubs.

ryaneth

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2007, 06:07 AM »
thanks northeastfisher.........i have seen people fishing weaver in the past.   Have heard there are nice perch.   thanks for the info.   ryaneth

MuskyHunter-

• Something toothy this way comes!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2007, 06:43 AM »
There are some really nice Largemouth Bass in both, i've caught 'em over 6lbs! Lots of perch and pannies.
Eddie D.         NYRC member   

GotaLimit

« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2007, 09:37 AM »
Yeah, lots of panfish!!! The one pond off of Hoke road is posted, if I'm not in error. Still has people fishing it but not sure if they have permission!!!

HeyNow

« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2007, 09:55 AM »
Fished Youngs plenty of times in both open water and on the ice. Pretty much what everyone above has said, some nice fish. The one problem we have had is the seemingly thousands of dink perch following you all over the lake. At times it is almost impossible to get away from them.

TomR

« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2016, 08:25 PM »
When I was a young boy (1950's), my Dad brought me to somewhere near Richfield Springs to fish.  I seem to remember renting a wooden row boat and fishing in a body of water he referred to as "Little Lake"  I remember the perch fishing was so good we were catching two at a time on the same line (two hooks).  In looking at Young and Weaver lakes on Google, it does't look like they are big enough to have a boat rental.  Can anyone tell me where I might have been fishing?

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2016, 05:52 AM »
Welcome to the site Tom..

Weaver and Youngs are always referred to as little lakes.
Probably because they are close to to larger lakes, Canadarago  and Otisco.  I can bet back than someone would make some money renting a few boats a day ..The lakes are smaller now and get smaller every year because of the weed groth..  Now the perch are right full of grubs. The bass fishing is still good till the weeds get so thick it's not worth it..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:16 AM »
When I was a young boy (1950's), my Dad brought me to somewhere near Richfield Springs to fish.  I seem to remember renting a wooden row boat and fishing in a body of water he referred to as "Little Lake"  I remember the perch fishing was so good we were catching two at a time on the same line (two hooks).  In looking at Young and Weaver lakes on Google, it does't look like they are big enough to have a boat rental.  Can anyone tell me where I might have been fishing?
may have been canadarago lake ,just south of richfield springs??
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

BIGJim223

« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2016, 06:57 AM »

Youngs Lake, on the south side of Rt 20, used to have boat rentals on the end of Little Lakes Rd. It's been years since it operated though. Weaver Lake, on the north side of 20, also had a cabin/boat rental/resort on the west end of the lake, but it was never open in my years living here.
As noted by 'dacker, the perch, and pan fish have a lot of black grubs. Mostly fished in the winter thru the ice. The DEC recently improved the fishing access on Weaver, putting in steps down the bank to the water. Best accessed with a canoe or kayak or small car topper/jon boat, tough drag back up the bank to the parking area. No gas motors permitted on Weaver.

BIGJim223

TomR

« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:54 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys!...The other thing I remember was that when my father was there with a friend, a large pickerel jumped out of the water and landed in their row boat....apparently there were large pickerel in those days as well.
Merry Christmas!

fishnutterbutter

« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2016, 03:24 PM »
Fished weaver a few times about 4 years ago-- lots and lots of fish, but all of em had grubs in them--

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.