FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: When to visit?  (Read 6808 times)

WMUAngler

When to visit?
« on: Mar 21, 2008, 04:46 PM »
What week of the spring, summer or fall would you recommend for  kayak fishing in the Resurrection Bay area?
I want to plan a trip to Alaska for 2009, and a multi-day kayak fishing/camping trip will be the main part of the vacation.
I'm open to all suggestions, and I'm looking for the best combination of fishing, wildlife viewing, and weather.  Thanks guys.

Drifter_016

Re: When to visit?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2008, 10:49 PM »
I can't tell you when, but I do have a link that will definately help you.
Check it out there are some very helpful people there.   :laugh:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forumdisplay.php?s=7a2070f572f95343b4ee4cad578450cf&f=3

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2008, 04:15 PM »
Why Res. Bay WMU?  I fish mostly Prince WIlliam Sound from June-Aug. and it's fine and seems a little more yak friendly...  You may luck out and get some sunny days, but don't count on it!  Lot's of good weather during June and July with nominal winds.  Not to say there isn't any wind!!!!  It'll get pretty windy out there but there are lot's of bays and islands to hide in and camp.  WIldlife is unlimited with bear, whale, seals, sea otters, puffins, etc... and the veiw is spectacular with lots of waterfalls, ancient forests, and stunning shorelines!  Catch salmon, rockfish, and halibut right from your kayak.

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2008, 04:45 PM »
I hate to hijack, but Barleydog has obvious class. It's nice to see I am not the only Brewers fan around. If they can get their pitching squared away, it could be a good year.

Mike

WMUAngler

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2008, 08:13 AM »
Why Res. Bay WMU?  I fish mostly Prince WIlliam Sound from June-Aug. and it's fine and seems a little more yak friendly...  You may luck out and get some sunny days, but don't count on it!  Lot's of good weather during June and July with nominal winds.  Not to say there isn't any wind!!!!  It'll get pretty windy out there but there are lot's of bays and islands to hide in and camp.  WIldlife is unlimited with bear, whale, seals, sea otters, puffins, etc... and the veiw is spectacular with lots of waterfalls, ancient forests, and stunning shorelines!  Catch salmon, rockfish, and halibut right from your kayak.

Thanks for the advice Barleydog.  I'm actually not set on Res. Bay, it just looked like that was where the outfitter was.  I was looking at using Liquid Adventures to book the kayak fishing portion of the trip.  I'd love to come during July, but I wasn't sure how the fishing was then.  Plus my girlfriend refuses to go on another fishing trip with me unless it's warm.  :) I took her to Lake Fork, Texas in December for some bass fishing and we drove 15 hours to freeze are butts off.  Alaska is my dream vacation, so I don't want to mess it up in the planning stages.

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2008, 05:36 AM »
Mike it's always good to see another Brew Crew fan! ;D  Here's to hoping they take the division this year!!!   8)  Now if only they'd show them more than 2 times nationally.....  I'd be happy!

WMU,  Your on the right track if your planning for July however, hoping for 80 and sunny in Alaska at anytime of the year is like playing Russian roulette!!  June and July are the best months to make a trip but don't ever plan on it being warm.  I have seen it snow that time of year which left me to ponder "why do I bother living here?"  Night time temps are generally pretty chilly that time of year around the glaciers and mountainous areas.  Day time temps are warm at times (in the 70s-80s) but most likely breezy and 60.  If your blessed with calm days and sun, your girlfriend will be burnt to a crisp!!!!  The sun is intense and puts a hurting on you so bring some good sunscreen and mosquito repellent.  Heck there's no reason for sleeping gear because you'll be fishing until the wee hours of the morning in the land of the midnight sun!  As for fishing, I don't know what your targetting??  For the most part pink, coho, chinook, and sockeye salmon should be present and some in huge numbers!  Other fish like rockfish, greenling, ling cod, halibut, cod, etc... are always present and easy to catch if your experienced, (they're also VERY tasty!) 

Sourshoes

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2008, 01:20 PM »
oh thank you

FISHONAJ

« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2008, 11:28 AM »
Thanks for the new link to check out drifter  8)

AJ

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.