FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The good and bad of nature  (Read 15226 times)

Bigcatch81

The good and bad of nature
« on: Jun 03, 2008, 08:11 AM »
My father and I went to a pond up in the Adirondacks yesterday and experienced the good and the bad of nature. As we were rowing into the pond we seen smoke across the way in the woods. We weren't sure if there was anyone camping there or not.

We decide to head across to see what was up and we discovered that the woods were on fire. At one point there was 4 foot flames. So we jump out and we start to fight it. My father beating the flames down with an oar and I'm trying to find something to bring water.

The wind was getting bad and making it worst so i decide to call 911. I find a jar on the ground and cut my soda bottle apart and started running water to the flames. We got the fire contained but the wind was so bad that it was starting it back up just as fast as we were putting it out.

Finally the forest ranger and fire fighters showed up but had to find a way to get to the fire. They walked around while i canoed across fighting the wind to get the pump for them. Finally they all reached the fire and finished it off.

After 3hrs of that excitement we decided to fish. Between the 2 of us we caught 22 trout that were all C&R. We experienced the bad of nature and then she rewarded us with a few good hrs of fishing to thank us for the good deed.

Dan

sperrin

Re: The good and bad of nature
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2008, 08:38 AM »
What comes arround goes arround...good story Dan

:clapping:
A bad day fishing is still better then a good day at work!

iceplank

« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Great freakin story! Sounds like a real intense situation. Thanks also, i love those Mountains. luckily you were able to contact the rangers .

minnowreaper

« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2008, 12:06 PM »
great job,who knows how far out of control that would have gotten had you and your dad not been there :clapping: :thumbup_smilie:

Bigcatch81

« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2008, 08:17 PM »
Yeah just to think we were hesitating to go up. Glad we did. The Ranger was saying that it could have went days before anyone found it. Kinda scary to think about it, but glad to help out.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2008, 06:30 AM »
 i've fought forest fires before, and it's not easy when you have the proper gear. it's tough to do without water, and can be dangerous, as the fire can flare up behind very quickly. thanks for being there, and doing the right thing.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2008, 07:40 PM »
Man, I figured a story like this would have made the news so I could figure out where you guys were fishing. I've been looking for a week and couldn't dig up a thing. :laugh:
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Bigcatch81

« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2008, 06:37 PM »
Yeah I know. I looked for it myself to see what they would say about it but they never did.

walleye1

« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2008, 09:16 AM »
Nice job dude! 8)

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2008, 11:54 PM »
ya know, when you think about it, that really is a good trade off isn't it? after the fire men got there i would have just gotten a bunch of them to grab the canoe fill it with water and dump that on the flames, but that's just me.

sticks

« Reply #10 on: Jun 19, 2008, 12:37 AM »
Man, I figured a story like this would have made the news so I could figure out where you guys were fishing. I've been looking for a week and couldn't dig up a thing. :laugh:
contact the forest rangers office and inquire where the fires have been located, they might tell ya, then you can narrow it down that way
a little garden hackle and a fly will fill the creal everytime.

miket.

• hard core
« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2008, 08:07 PM »
ah, you see (Carma)- what goes around comes around. you were rewarded with the trout for your good deed, way to go!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
hard core fanatic!

nacator

• Eddie and the boys, yeah baby!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 01, 2008, 01:33 AM »
"Tyranny succeeds when men of good conscience remain silent"      Thomas Jefferson

miket.

• hard core
« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2008, 09:51 AM »
thanks nacator.
hard core fanatic!

jjf

« Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2008, 07:44 PM »
I put the fire out in the fireplace at my camp site this weekend in saranac....funny thing though I didn't catch any trout :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.