FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Halibut Fishing  (Read 5735 times)

PerchHogSlayer

• Ice No More???
Halibut Fishing
« on: Oct 06, 2008, 02:52 PM »
Here’s my story… I’m from Montana and am looking to do some Halibut fishing up in Alaska.  It’s been my dad’s dream for years to get up there one day and do a little Halibut fishing.  He’s been talking about it for a LONG time, but never can bring himself to save up a pile of money to pay an expensive guide for the chance to maybe catch a fish.  Anyways, my wife and I just bought our first house and God Bless Him, he’s been over there with me every free second for the last several months, helping us fix it up.  He’s the real expert, I just fumble around and get in his way mostly.  As a “thanks a lot, couldn’t have done it without you” type gift, I’d like to take him Halibut fishing.  I can’t afford the big guide bills either though.  I can get up to Alaska at no charge, so that would save some money.  Can anyone offer me a little assistance in this endeavor?  Location doesn’t matter that much to me?  If you or someone you know has a boat, or goes Halibut fishing very often, I’d love to get in touch, or at least you might be able to point me in the right direction, so I don’t get ripped off too much?  Or if you just know of a good company to contact, that would help out lots too since there seems to be hundreds. 

Also we may be able to work out some sort of fishing exchange?  You take us fishing for a day or two, and in return we’d love to have you down to our corner of the world sometime to do some fishing or hunting or something?  Where we are in Montana (Helena) has pretty good trout fishing (if your into that), great perch fishing (small, but lot of fun, and taste great!), great walleye fishing in the spring, pretty darn good river fishing in the summer…  We’ve also got a cabin up near Glacier Nat. Park that could be used.  Up there, there is white water rafting, amazing river fishing and pretty much anything else you might want to do.

Anyways, if you can think of anything I’d love some help!  Just trying to get creative to save some money while fulfilling a long time dream of my dad.  Thanks for your time and feel free to PM me any time, or reply here.

Fishin Fireman

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: Halibut Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2008, 01:29 PM »
Well I have a good friend who lives out on the road that leads to the lake out by East Helena and she is a Pa in town somewhere. 

If it's one thing I know how to do it's to do it as cheap and or free as much as possible, especially when you are never guaranteed anything when it comes to sport fishing or even subsistence.

To tell you the truth I don't have a boat and for you to come all this way, it depends on how far your willing to go and when and what is your budget limit. Sometimes you can work a package deal if you get the whole boat usually 4 to 6 people and it's yours and sometimes lodging is included for a night or two on theses offers. The cheaper prices are in mid to late May. I would consider joining you as long as I knew where and when. I have a good contact down south Of Soldotna/Kenai on the peninsula. Check out D&M Charters In Deep Creek. Mark has a rv park and to go fishing you just have to get in the boat and go down the hill on the trailer and get backed in by an old log skidder right off the beach and in like an hour your fishing. In late May you can hookup with sea running kings coming in to run the rivers.

Well I can give you a ton more but until I know when and how far you would like to travel this is good for now. Just so you know for travel distances, Valdez is 6 hours from Fairbanks and Deep Creek is close to 10. Just a normal drive to go fishing for an Alaskan.
"Team Alaska" 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.