FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sucker Fishing (pics)  (Read 12346 times)

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Sucker Fishing (pics)
« on: Mar 22, 2009, 02:01 PM »
Anyone going to do it this year? I used to dip net the Mille Lacs feeder creeks, but I have missed the last few years. It is can be a super fun start to the softwater season.

I was just wondering how you guys catch them and smoke them. We do drives downstream and have the standers scoop them up as they try to get away. I bring them to the meat locker for smoking.

two_fish_tommy

• One mans garbage is another mans paycheck!!!!!!!!
Re: Sucker Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2009, 04:03 PM »
skipper we need to do it like we used to off cr 19 I ve got somebody who will smoke them for us :tipup:

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2009, 06:24 PM »
You want to go get em Ray's style in the creeks? I am open to some CR19 beer drinking and trash fishing too. ;)

You never went with us up to Mille Lacs did you? All you need is a pair of warm waders and a landing net.

Crappie Catcher

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2009, 09:22 PM »
Do you have ta clean em up? or do you smoke em whole? and if you do whole, how do you eat um?
If I'm not fishing, I'm hunting if I am not hunting, I'm trapping If I am not doing one of the above, I am wasting my time it is not a passion it is an obsession.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2009, 08:23 AM »
Do you have ta clean em up? or do you smoke em whole? and if you do whole, how do you eat um?

I remove the head, entrails, and fins, then split them on my Dads meat saw. I remove most of the belly meat too. I have the Foley Locker or the pierz meat market smoke them.

I remove the fins because they are weird looking and people think they look gross.

two_fish_tommy

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2009, 02:23 PM »
You want to go get em Ray's style in the creeks? I am open to some CR19 beer drinking and trash fishing too. ;)

You never went with us up to Mille Lacs did you? All you need is a pair of warm waders and a landing net.
rod reel and beer thats how we need to do it ;D

canoesota

• "Got my mojo workin"
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2009, 05:52 PM »
I still have a case of Grain Belt from the Mille Lacs trip. Sounds like fun if you don't fall in!

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2009, 07:37 PM »
rod reel and beer that's how we need to do it ;D

I will use my fancy catfish rig! Do you do your route up there? If you do, keep an eye on the river. It is pretty high right now, but the run should start in 2-3 weeks. If you start to see fish from the bridge, LET ME KNOW!!!! ;D

We will grab some crawlers from prince and put the hurt on them.

I still have a case of Grain Belt from the Mille Lacs trip. Sounds like fun if you don't fall in!

You are more than welcome to come, just don't wear your good shoes. ;) We will keep this thread current of the sucker run.

two_fish_tommy

« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2009, 07:40 PM »
dosent look like they are running yet probally a week or so ::)

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2009, 03:28 PM »
I'm ready when you are. I have all of my trash fishing gear together and ready to rock. I picked up some bigger "no roll" sinkers to help keep me in the current. My biggest problem with fishing suckers was my sinker always rolling out of the current. I should be able to stick it to the head of the hole and keep it there now.

Don't roll your eyes at me punk! :P

two_fish_tommy

« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2009, 10:20 AM »
I'm ready when you are. I have all of my trash fishing gear together and ready to rock. I picked up some bigger "no roll" sinkers to help keep me in the current. My biggest problem with fishing suckers was my sinker always rolling out of the current. I should be able to stick it to the head of the hole and keep it there now.

Don't roll your eyes at me punk! :P
next weekend would probally be best and i will roll my eyes if i want to ::)

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2009, 06:22 PM »
Your on punk! Saturday afternoon or Sunday? :P :P ::) Makes no difference to me, it is not like we have that far to go.

two_fish_tommy

« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2009, 12:23 PM »
Your on punk! Saturday afternoon or Sunday? :P :P ::) Makes no difference to me, it is not like we have that far to go.
sunday i have a wedding to go to on sat :tipup: ::)

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2009, 04:18 PM »
Wife works on sunday, I just asked her. I will have no one to watch the nubbies.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2009, 07:03 PM »
We got out for a few hours this afternoon and caught some suckers. They were not heavy in the river yet, but we got some. I broke one off, and dang near fell in the river grabbing one that came off. I got a wet foot for my troubles. We were fishing with crawlers and size 1 hooks behind a 1.5 oz slip sinker.

I hope to get out sucker fishing a few more times in the next two weeks. They should be running full tilt by next weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.