FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How to cook Lake Trout  (Read 13315 times)

anrik1

How to cook Lake Trout
« on: Jul 29, 2009, 05:43 AM »
Went fishing with my 13 year old on Winnipasukee yesterday.  He boated a nice 2 lb rainbow.  I caught a 2.5 pd laker, and after 15 minutes of leaning over the boat to revive him, and 3 attempts of letting him go and just floating, and 2 tangled up lines as we circled around to grab him again, I said hell with it, we'll keep him.  Now how do I cook him?  I've heard they are really oily.  We love Rainbow, but have never experienced Lakers.  Any suggestions?  I want to get the best out of him since he seemed "hell Bent" on coming home with us.  Thanks guys.

Rick

MGK

Re: How to cook Lake Trout
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2009, 07:15 AM »
Before you cook it, put it on news paper. That will help take the oils out of the meat. I have also heard that if you a rack, stand it up vertically next to a fire and cook it that way. The warden that told me said when it is done you can't tell the difference between that and brook trout. I wouldn't go that far but that's what he told me. Good luck.
It is better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

jkoegel

• Born to fish, forced to work.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2009, 07:22 AM »
Grilling it or smoking it with your favorite seasonings will let a lot of the excess oil cook off.
Grilled on a cedar plank is my personal favorite.

fishlessman

« Reply #3 on: Jul 29, 2009, 08:35 AM »
its almost as good as fried clams. if you can fillet it. fillet it, cut it into nice sized chunks, in a bag with milk and enough lemon to curdle the milk for a few hours. roll in a 50/50 mixture cornmeal and jiffey corn muffin mix, into the fry oil.  addsome horseradish, lemon juice, a few splashes of worcestershire sauce to a bowl of ketchup for some togue sauce. its good, not oily at all. ive given this to people that dont like fish and it just disapears

JIGGIN

« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2009, 11:04 AM »
I agree, Fillet them into chuncks & deep fry em. I don't like to eat lakers however I've tried them rolled in Italian bread crumbs and deep fried, with some Franks hot sauce, it was awesome!

JIGGIN.
Go Go Get Em!

Marcus

« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2009, 11:06 AM »
poor man's lobster... get some beer boiling  cut the laker into chunks throw the chunks in and when they turn white and float they are done dip them in drawn butter eat them hot   tastes like lobster we did it last year with an 18 lber and even that tasted great.  

JDK

« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 2009, 12:09 PM »
Fillet, take skin off, remove all fat, dredge in egg/milk solution, roll in Uncle Buck's cajun fish seasoning, place on cookie sheet, cook according to directions.

When done, throw out fish and eat cookie sheet.

# SAND

Art 53

« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2009, 05:59 PM »
fishlessman You could put the ARSE of a skunk in your recipe and it would be Delicious

hook-set

« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2009, 07:08 PM »
FELLETTE THE FISH..SKIN OFF SOAK IT IN MILK 1 HOUR. PAT DRY PUT ON COOKIE SHEET..SEASON WITH LOTS OF DILL.LEMON PEPPER.THEN SLATHER THE FILETTES WITH FRENCHES BROWN MUSTARD.. THEN CRUMBLE FRENCHES FRIED ONIONS IN A CAN AND COAT THE FILETTES .BAKE 375 FOR ABOUT 20 MINS ABSOLUTLY AWESOME !!!!!!!!
    YOU CAN SUBSTATUTE THE MUSTARD WITH MAYO WITH LESS OILY FISH ..GREAT WITH SALMON !!! ;)

KissMyBassNH

• Bass Fisherman
« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2009, 03:43 PM »
it always seems to taste better if you bleed it out soon after you catch it!  ;D

Catch A Buzz!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.