FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling for Brook Trout  (Read 4896 times)

Rainbow1

• Greenland Cove
Trolling for Brook Trout
« on: Aug 07, 2009, 04:39 AM »
This years "Week with the Guys" fishing and camping trip will be at Rangeley SP.  Has anyone stayed there?  It was chosen in large part because of the docking facilities.  We will get there on Labor Day and stay for a week.  Salmon will be the primary target but I never get any brookies except for the 8-10" stock fish near me.  Can anyone reccommend speed, depths, or colors for brookies?  Will they be where the salmon are or should we be in the shallows near shore?  We will also probably hop around to Mooselook, Richardson and Aziscohos.  Any advice is appreciated thanks.

Bowdoin boy

Re: Trolling for Brook Trout
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2009, 06:31 AM »
I have fished Rangley and Mosselook,Richardson with great luck with a Copper chevchase ,trolled at 24ft in about 50 fow,and caught some nice 4 lb Brookies..must be a cloudy or rainy day,Sunny days dont work there..I don't think there any big fish in Azisochos,its been awhile since i fish there but the only thing Iv'e ever caught there are a ton of small Salmon.
Live Life like its your last time out!!

floatinwoody

« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2009, 06:59 AM »
It's a tough time of year..I have been trolling mepps, ghost's, and occasionally mooselook at around 20-25' in that area. Limited success. Im waiting for nice cool fall  nights to get em back up. 

EASTGRANDEST

• How they bite'n?
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2009, 08:01 AM »
I dont know about this time of the year but in the spring a copper mooselook is the way to go.
Fishin' on the job again?

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2009, 08:55 AM »
The little 'broken-back' jointed Rapalas will get them too...  Trolled behind a canoe or flatlined from a boat.
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

ALASKANSS

• BITE THIS!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2009, 09:12 AM »
I have fished Rangley and Mosselook,Richardson with great luck with a Copper chevchase ,trolled at 24ft in about 50 fow,and caught some nice 4 lb Brookies..must be a cloudy or rainy day,Sunny days dont work there..I don't think there any big fish in Azisochos,its been awhile since i fish there but the only thing Iv'e ever caught there are a ton of small Salmon.

This is an average size brookie from the "HOSS" keep tryin boys

toguefisha

« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2009, 07:36 PM »
Worked there at the park for a couple summers and lived in a small cabin right on the lake within the park boundaries.  Most brookies are in the 8-12" range but I've caught them up to about 20" and 3 or 4lbs.  I always had the best luck between hunters cove and the state park.  Lots of deep water. Find the thermocline and you find the fish.  Rangeley can be slow, escpecially later in the year.  For alot more action you might want to give Mooselook a try.  Lots of salmon.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2009, 10:39 PM »
Have any of you guys ever trolled a minnow behind a dodger? Or is that even legal up there? I've had trout ignore artificials and nail a sew on shiner behind a small silver dodger.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2009, 11:25 AM »
Have any of you guys ever trolled a minnow behind a dodger? Or is that even legal up there? I've had trout ignore artificials and nail a sew on shiner behind a small silver dodger.
its legal up here and many guys do do it especially with smelt

emeraldshiner

« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2009, 04:47 PM »
Bowdoinboy; Alaskanss post is well worth another look, trust me "the hoss" coughs up some real large native brook trout and can attest to being on the recieving end of the rod at the moment of truth! Check out the depth map, structure and myriad of brooks running into this magnificent body of water! You can't expect to zip in and out of there in one day to hook into one. This deal is a planned hunt and plenty of time to target the hot spots through trial and error but believe me they are there. Timing, weather, water temps, and tackle rigged just right make this lake a true sportsman's challange for large native brookies! 8) :)

aziscohosaddict

« Reply #10 on: Aug 18, 2009, 07:53 AM »
lot od small salmon in aziscohos, still can get a lot of action and maybe here and there 18-20 incher but skinny this year. brook trout what brook trout, they all swim over the dam after may. :D there are some nice ones in there but they are tough to find, like emerald said it takes some time on the lake to figure out where they go. and she can get mighty nasty winds quick.

emeraldshiner

« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2009, 04:55 PM »
lot od small salmon in aziscohos, still can get a lot of action and maybe here and there 18-20 incher but skinny this year. brook trout what brook trout, they all swim over the dam after may. :D there are some nice ones in there but they are tough to find, like emerald said it takes some time on the lake to figure out where they go. and she can get mighty nasty winds quick.
Aziscohosaddict; You are right on spot with the short salmon, way to large a population of them. Believe they are native for the most part, when you do tag one 16"-20"+ they are full of unbelievable fight and if you keep one for table fare they taste better than any I have ever caught in all of Maine waters just absolutely delicous! I don't understand DIFW management plan, this lake can produce many large salmon, prohibiting the taking of smelt from all tribuatarys would be a start. I guess it's too radical for Rangeley natives but a limited ice fishing season to remove short salmon with a minimum length limit of 12" with a 3 fish limit would seem reasonable and common sense. I really don't know though about the sensitivity of the headwaters above that stretch clear to the Canadian border may have everything to do with why DIFW just leaves it as status quo as this is principally a native salmon and brook trout fishery in the famed "Rangely Region". :-\ :-\

aziscohosaddict

« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2009, 07:47 PM »
emerald you are right about closing the lake to smelting, it would make a huge difference in the size of the fish. i have talked to a guy who has lived on the lake 6 month out of the year for 25 years now and he said the bios tell him the smelt population is fine in the lake. although he says that the smelt runs in the first couple east shore brooks is poor and full of big smelt(small are better), and that the area of the lake by beaver island has very few smelt. i have talked to the bios myself through email and keep trying to get them to believe that it will help to close the tribs but they say no. they did say to keep my daily bag limit every day on salmon to get them bigger so i have done just that. But in the history of the lake it has never given up trophy size salmon and im fine if it never does, you cant put a price on fishing until 10 am without seeing another boat. and a 14 inch wild salmon puts up a better fight then a stocked 20in salmon any day of the week.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.