FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: O.T. Giant Hogweed  (Read 2145 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
O.T. Giant Hogweed
« on: Aug 20, 2009, 01:38 PM »
Anybody got into any Giant Hogweed this year?  After last year I have learned to avoid it. The other night I went over to a Buddy's to set up a trail cam. Along the  
path on the way in I see him grab a 6ft plant and bend it over and say how he hates this stuff because its always growing in his paths.....He had no idea what it was.. After I explained what it was and what it could do he said to look at his boys when we get back to the house...All 3 had blisters on there arms and 1 had them on his face..  If you don't know what this stuff looks like google and learn about it..

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Gambler

Re: O.T. Giant Hogweed
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2009, 02:14 PM »
Yes that is some nasty stuff!!
It was all over the local news several years ago.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/environmental/outdoors/hogweed/giant_hogweed.htm
Take Care and God Bless!

Rick

Stuck-on-Seven

« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2009, 02:16 PM »
ive never seen it around where i live but thanks for the heads up if i do ever see it

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2009, 02:28 PM »
ive never seen it around where i live but thanks for the heads up if i do ever see it

Get a good look at a picture...  We were up in Eagle Bay this past weekend and saw it along the road for the first time...Alot of it now all the flowers are turning to seed so all the tops are turning brown..

Gambler, thats the web site I was looking for... Thank you.  It was in the New York Conservationist Mag.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

dukhnter8

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2009, 06:14 AM »
This is another good site with pics of similar looking plants. I had some elderberry in my yard which I cut part of it down thinking it was hogweed, then remembered I planted elderberry a while back. Doh!

http://www.seagrant.sunysb.edu/ais/pdfs/GiantHogweedFactsheet.pdf

vogel451

« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2009, 07:57 PM »
Great info! I just read that .pdf - "Giant hogweed can make a case of poison ivy seem like a mild itch".  that stuff is no joke
-Mclovin out

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.