FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Camping Trip  (Read 1992 times)

chiefcatchemall

• over the rail and in the pail
Camping Trip
« on: Jul 13, 2009, 01:37 PM »
My family and I are making our yearly camping trip here in August. We are taking a break from Black Lake this year and we are heading to the 1000 islands. Its our first time back there in 5 years or so. I love it up there on the St. Lawerence. I have had so many fond memories as a kid when we went up there each summer. My aunt and uncle had a camp on Chippewa Bay until a few years back. Now that I am older I finally have my own boat and I can go out fishing wherever I want now. We are staying in Goose Bay this year in WinterIsle Cottages on WinterGreen Island. We usually fish for smallmouths up there whenever we head up that way. I have always wanted to catch a few walleyes up there but never had any luck. Does anybody know where I can catch a few walleyes up in that section of the river? You can shoot me a PM if you dont want to give it away to everybody on here. In exchange I can give you information on spots down this way I fish with success.  I fished a few places up there for walleye a few years back and had no luck. I tried off Chippewa Point and The Indian Chief Islands. Well if anybody can help me out I would really appreciate it and would like to return the favor.

Thanks,
Andrew
Opinions are like @ssholes. Everybody has one and they all stink.

nypike

• Where da fish at?
Re: Camping Trip
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2009, 09:29 PM »
not really a big st lawrence river fisherman but I always here of eyes around the waddington, massena area of the river. we get them through the ice alot.

chiefcatchemall

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2009, 10:26 AM »
Thanks nypike. All the locals up that way are pretty quiet...

pikie

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2009, 10:35 AM »
Grew up in Alex Bay, and I never actually caught a walleye in that section of the river.  I know a few people who do fish for them, but its not a numbers game at all.  There are some really big ones around, but you have to troll crank baits at night for them from what I've heard.  I've tried a few times but never caught any.  I've caught quite a few downstream in the Waddington - Massena section.  When in that area, I fish for northerns.  This time of year, they are probably in 30 - 60 feet of water.

tobykoko

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2009, 04:48 PM »
ANDREW :
   Right out infront of where you're staying, Try bouys 183,185,187, or go to the other side,  stay in  the deep side and cast into the teens, working chartruse worm harnesses off the edges. I set up in 80' FOW cast shallow, working the rig  to drop off the edges. Need some weight to get it to walk the bottom. We do well this time of year through Sept. Good luck
                                                            TIGHT LINES
                                                                     Tobykoko    ;) ;) ;)

chiefcatchemall

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2009, 10:09 PM »
Thanks a lot tobykoko. Sent you a PM

chiefcatchemall

« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2009, 08:53 AM »
Any last advice? Leaving tomorrow morning. I'll post how I did each day when I get back on the 22nd!

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2009, 09:34 AM »
Try a heavy jigging spoon bounced off the bottom.  I heard that works pretty good, from a guide i fished with up there.

devo

« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2009, 02:27 PM »
A buddy of mine fishes that area with 3/4 ounce jig heads tipped w/worms or leaches, bouncing on the bottom, and does quite well on the walleyes. Good luck. d.

chiefcatchemall

« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2009, 08:01 PM »
Hey all just got back from my camping trip yesterday morning. What a blast. First of all Winter Isle island was awesome and the owner was great to deal with. We did very well on the smallmouths. Most fun I have had in a while. We did very well on the backside of whiskey island. Also the bouy straight out and to the left a little from goose bay was producing nice fish. Did fish around marker 187 and got some nice smallies around there as well as marker 186. The little light house (the island after marker 187) produced the biggest smallies on a consistant basis. We fished with night crawlers and berkly gulp minnows 2 1/2'' smelt. They both brought in the same amount of fish it seemed. The first week we got lots of gobies until we finally learned to move our hook up off of the bottom. Once we raised the hook up 18'' or so we started hammering the smallmouth. The biggest was 18 1/2'' caught by my father (Never going to hear the end of that one. The biggest fish of the trip was caught by my girlfriend. 32'' northern. Funny story really...We were just worm fishing catching a few small bass and I seen a big northern chase her 12'' bass up to the boat. I told her to leave the bass in the water hoping the pike would take the bass but she didnt understand what I was saying so she just brought the bass into the boat. That got me all excited and my girlfried said she wish she would have gotten to see that. As soon as I seen that I started throwing the spoon that I had hooked up on my other rod for about 5 mins and got nothing. So my girlfriend asked if pike bite worms and I told her sometimes and it couldnt have been 2 minutes later she hooked into the darn thing! What a fight. She landed it on 6 pound test with no liter. Needless to say it made her day and trip. We were both excited giving eachother high fives and smiling :D I want to say thank you to everybody that gave me any information. I really appreciate that. Hopefully I can get my girlfriends camera so I can post some pictures here soon. Thanks again, Andrew

kchamp

• fish hard or stay home
« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2009, 08:29 PM »
spanked by a girl you just joined the club  ;D here is a 25.5 one we got up there the last day we were there

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2009, 08:46 PM »
sounds like a great trip andrew!

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

tobykoko

« Reply #12 on: Aug 24, 2009, 06:49 PM »
Great report & glad you did so well. Did you do any eyes around 187? Whiskey shoal year after year always seems to produce. Softshells always work well also. Heading up there the first two weeks of Sept. and I'll let ya know how we do. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

chiefcatchemall

« Reply #13 on: Aug 26, 2009, 09:46 AM »
Didnt really make it out there at night. I only have a 14 footer with a 9.5 horse and I didnt want to be out there when it got too dark. But it deffinately seems like a good spot for them. DEEP water right next to the channel. We did fish it quite a bit for smallies however!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.