FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: PERCH, SENECA, KEUKA  (Read 12715 times)

percher

PERCH, SENECA, KEUKA
« on: Jan 23, 2010, 04:42 AM »
Fished out of Severne yesterday, picked up 10 and our second boat ended up with around 25.  Had 3 real nice ones, small plastics, a few on meal worms on a drop shot. Ours came north of the launch  in about 21 ft of  water. Beautiful day, quite a few boats there and everyone was getting them

KingPerch

Re: PERCH, SENECA, KEUKA
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2010, 12:36 PM »
Sounds Like fun!! Problem is , my boat is in the backyard in 3' of snow!!! ??? :cookoo: :cursing:--KP
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

wellsley

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2010, 03:20 PM »
I know Seneca doesn't freeze over. But what about the ramps and launches how do you get your boat in and out? Are they not covered in ice and snow.
LIFE MEMBER OF NORTH AMERICA FISHING CLUB

percher

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2010, 04:04 PM »
I know Seneca doesn't freeze over. But what about the ramps and launches how do you get your boat in and out? Are they not covered in ice and snow.
Wellsley,
No problem at the launch, I know guys who have been fishing since October. Severne has a nice launch with ribbed cement ramps. You just have to pick your days and dress for it. Some guys hve those small propane heaters that work well.
percher

wellsley

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2010, 04:40 PM »
Severne is a good spot for trolling for lakers. I've been there in the summer. My hats off to anyone that fishes Seneca in the winter there can be some tough conditions. I hope the state keeps the road down to the launch clear. I think I'd try to put in at Lodi. I've caught some nice perch off the point at Lodi(in the summer) Good Luck with the perching.
LIFE MEMBER OF NORTH AMERICA FISHING CLUB

Trucken35

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2010, 02:33 PM »
fish seneca last sat, it was way to cold till around 11:oo. Could not keep the rods from iceing up and no wd40 in the boat.
Started to pic away at them on the east side around sampson area. At the end of the day 32 nice fish.

percher

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:37 PM »
fish seneca last sat, it was way to cold till around 11:oo. Could not keep the rods from iceing up and no wd40 in the boat.
Started to pic away at them on the east side around sampson area. At the end of the day 32 nice fish.
Hey Trucken,
When our  guides did ice up we just dip them in the lake. Does the wd keep the eyes from freezing up?
Sounds like you did well. We fished last Friday and the temps were the same. A friend went over yesterday and he and his partner got limits. I pullled the boat in the garage today so maybe next week I can get it wet.
Percher

Trucken35

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2010, 07:36 AM »
Hey percher

WD does the trick we use it at the niagara river if its in the teens or low 20,s .
One thing different though my perch rigs have much smaller eyes and the fire line seemed to be a little stickey.
Our line was breaking at our blood knot way to much in the morning. I prob wont be there for a few weeks due to onedia being so good.
Good luck

percher

« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:35 PM »
My perch partner and I fished out of Severne today and picked up around 30 keepers and several smalls that we released back. 4 other boats were out and some trout trollers. All came in 20 FOW.
Weather was a little cold but hardly any wind until late in the afternoon when the north winds came in.
Percher

Huntny30

• "What ever you are, be a good one." Abe
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2010, 06:33 AM »
Really want to fish one of these lakes for hog perch...anyone have a good suggestion for starters, never fished the finger lakes...
\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

crash430

« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2010, 02:32 PM »
anyone ever catch perch off of the pier by the ramada in geneva ?

percher

« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2010, 05:40 PM »
anyone ever catch perch off of the pier by the ramada in geneva ?

I have heard of perch being caught from the pier but most are caught from boats.

kingfisher22

« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2010, 11:59 AM »
Really want to fish one of these lakes for hog perch...anyone have a good suggestion for starters, never fished the finger lakes...

Start at Roy's Marina about 2 miles south on Rt 14 of Geneva.  Not the best launch, but pay the $6.00 and talk to the owners Larry & Roz.  They are super nice people and will give you some good and current information.  They also have a decent amount of the right tackle to get you started.  There is good fishing for perch right in their bay - Glass Factory - and it's as good a place as any to start.

Go with light line 4-6lb test, but not necessarily a light action rod.  These fish are caught as deep as 100' sometimes and most often between 20-50'.  Heavy weights are used to get down fast and an ultalight rod just doesn't give you the sensitivity you need with heavier weight.  I use medium & sometimes medium light action rods.

If you are lucky and get a calm day, cruise around along the drop or in the deepest water you can see bottom in.  You will eventually see what your after.    Probably won't catch too many of them, but it will get you fired up.   These are uncommonly spooky fish, so give others plenty of room, whether you are just scouting or looking to pull up and anchor.

This is a tough lake to fish!!!!  Don't get discouraged, but you need to put your time in.

kingfisher22

« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2010, 12:00 PM »
Start at Roy's Marina about 2 miles south of Geneva on Route 14.  Not the best launch, but pay the $6.00 and talk to the owners Larry & Roz.  They are super nice people and will give you some good and current information.  They also have a decent amount of the right tackle to get you started.  There is good fishing for perch right in their bay - Glass Factory - and it's as good a place as any to start.

Go with light line 4-6lb test, but not necessarily a light action rod.  These fish are caught as deep as 100' sometimes and most often between 20-50'.  Heavy weights are used to get down fast and an ultalight rod just doesn't give you the sensitivity you need with heavier weight.  I use medium & sometimes medium light action rods.

If you are lucky and get a calm day, cruise around along the drop or in the deepest water you can see bottom in.  You will eventually see what your after.    Probably won't catch too many of them, but it will get you fired up.   These are uncommonly spooky fish, so give others plenty of room, whether you are just scouting or looking to pull up and anchor.

This is a tough lake to fish!!!!  Don't get discouraged, but you need to put your time in.

Lund sss

• Tight Lines, Steve
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2010, 04:25 PM »

My suggestion would be find someone who has already fished it a few times or your going to get VERY frustrated, the perch can be very hard to target and even harder to catch with any consistency. Don't get me wrong maybe your really good and you'll have no problem but, I've been after them for more than 10 years and still have some BAD days on Seneca Lake.

Good Luck,
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.