FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: cayuga smelt?  (Read 13438 times)

tucker

• central NY, heart of tax and spend
cayuga smelt?
« on: Apr 01, 2010, 04:29 PM »
any news of smelt running on cayuga lake yet?

mindgamer_2000

Re: cayuga smelt?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2010, 07:19 PM »
You will be lucky if anyone gives you an answer. I went to little pains the smelt were not running but the suckers are.People are tight lipped about smelt running. Ive asked a couple of times about Keuka Lake. ???

mindgamer_2000

« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2010, 07:23 PM »
Can anyone explain to me why the smelt do not run in little or big pain creeks anymore. was something spilled or did they die off because of the zebra mussels eating there food.I was told by a friend that they are running in canoga on 89.

perchpounderny

« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2010, 07:29 PM »
Can anyone explain to me why the smelt do not run in little or big pain creeks anymore. was something spilled or did they die off because of the zebra mussels eating there food.I was told by a friend that they are running in canoga on 89.

alot of them have  died off but pains and little creek  havent got a good run in over 10 yrs my dads cottage is right there

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2010, 07:54 PM »
  Smelt got depleted during the late 80's from years of over stocking of Lake trout, last descent run of smelt I saw was in 93, after that kind of gave up on them...  used to be some good times, if there's any new runs I don't blame people for being tight lipped..
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

tucker

• central NY, heart of tax and spend
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2010, 06:38 AM »
I started smelting on cayuga about 5 years ago.  People kept telling me the population crashed and they were correct.  Last year seemed to be better then the other years so hopefully it gets a little better this year.

mindgamer_2000

« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2010, 06:42 AM »
didn't mean to sound bitter but the sportsman in NY are slowly going away and we need to keep together. A biologist I called told me that the smelt in Cayuga,the great lakesand soon to be owasco are competing for food with the Zebra Mussels and they can not out do the mussels. :(

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2010, 10:37 AM »
didn't mean to sound bitter but the sportsman in NY are slowly going away and we need to keep together. A biologist I called told me that the smelt in Cayuga,the great lakesand soon to be owasco are competing for food with the Zebra Mussels and they can not out do the mussels. :(
 You didn't sound bitter, your right.... the muscles do filter alot of water.. smelt, alewives, baby perch, ect.... are all competing for that same food..
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

ShaneO19

« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2010, 04:28 PM »

Do you know if you are allowed to smelt there? I checked just of of 89 a few times last year but didn't see any.

perchpounderny

« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2010, 04:38 PM »
people fish on the side of pains creek once in a a while and i use to go to little creek to catch minnows so i dont see why not there wasnt no posted sighns the only thing is pains creek is kind of deeop for smelting but maybe if you walk up alittle ways

mitch1

« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2010, 10:26 PM »
what about owasco lake are people still smelting there? if so where would be a good public access point to start smelting on the north end of the lake? one of my budies wants to take his nefew but didn't know where to start? thanks

scooter22

« Reply #11 on: Apr 03, 2010, 11:25 PM »
  Smelt got depleted during the late 80's from years of over stocking of Lake trout, last descent run of smelt I saw was in 93, after that kind of gave up on them...  used to be some good times, if there's any new runs I don't blame people for being tight lipped..
I remember smelting up around Pulaski on the creeks and at the state parks in the 80s and you could fill a 5 gal pail  in a 1/2 hour if the run was on. Bars used to have them breaded and fried, like you get chicken wings today. Haven't seen a good run or looked for one 15+ years. Didn't help that many of the good spots have been posted off limits.

ShaneO19

« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2010, 11:11 PM »
Does anyone Smelt off of Lake Ontario in the Wayne,Cayuga,Oswego County areas?

sfpd819

« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2010, 11:45 PM »
last week hit a few streams on the west side of Cayuga near the seneca/ tompkins cty line but didnt get into anything. We saw a few people with a dozen or so each. Any word lately if anything is running ?

GAR

« Reply #14 on: Apr 09, 2010, 01:10 PM »
Does anyone Smelt off of Lake Ontario in the Wayne,Cayuga,Oswego County areas?

the past few days they have been getting smelt at Lewiston like the old days - Art park on the Niagara - I caught my limit in a few dips once they ran up against shore.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.