MFF US Northeast > Massachusetts

How do you catch snapping turtles?

<< < (4/7) > >>

Keepah Seekah:
let's see.....i know they'll take pieces of hotdogs. chunks of dead fish, worms. had one follow my 6 inch pumpkinseed texas rigged zoom lizard all the way to the boat, a fin-s-shad, had them follow in chug bugs, etc.

Boomer:
In spring you can find them "wandering." Crossing roads, in people yards etc... Largest one I ever "caught" came from a person's front yard. It weighed in at over 60 pounds on a certified scale. We put a 10ft aluminum boat over it until we were ready to butcher it. My friend's wife comes out intothe back yard and yells at us that the boat is moving towards the road and we might want to catch it!  That turtle moved that boat about twenty feet! :laugh:  At the Kentucky State Fair back in the early 1980's they had two alligator snappers a guy got out of the Ohio River from a turtle trap. The smaller one weighed over 120lbs and the larger one I think was over 150lbs. Took a tractor to pull it out of the river. The oldest one was estimated to be born sometime around the Civil War!

bmxrider11976:
when im bass fishin i see them all the time. if you spot one before you spook it, you can prety much throw anything in front of their trap and they will engulf it. ive caught them on jigs, fluke baits and rubber worms.

hoghammer:
Hopefully by the back feet. LOL

MaineNative71:
If you are serious about getting some to eat or what not than it takes a little work to really get a good catch of them...

Start with a 50gal plastic barrel. Cut a whole on the side approx 18"X 18".
Lay Barrel on non-cut side in shallow water and weight with rocks. (you want the hole to remain a half foot or so out of water)
Drop in chicken parts (The nastier the better)
Turtles will crawl in to get at the aromatic chicken and will become trapped in the barrel.. (They cant crawl out, the inside of the barrel is too slippery)

Trust me.. This works... Don't Ask.. Lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version