FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Oil leak from prop - HELP PLEASE!  (Read 28690 times)

King Fisher

• Born to FISH forced to WORK!
Oil leak from prop - HELP PLEASE!
« on: May 30, 2010, 10:11 PM »
I just bought a 2003 16' Lund rebel SS Fishing boat.  It has a 2 stroke oil injected 50hp Johnson motor.  I made sure the oil was topped up in the leg (filled from bottom).  I hooked up the water and gas and I ran it in my driveway for 10-15 min to get the fog out because it hasnt been in the water since it was winterized.  After I ran it, and it sat for a while I noticed oil leaking from the prop.  Any suggestions to what this might be?  I called a boat repair shop and he thinks it might be due to the exhaust for some reason.  I am new with boats and am looking to master the art..   Any help would be great!

tbfisherman

• FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
Re: Oil leak from prop - HELP PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 11:22 PM »

Hi

The newer 2 stroke motors like the Etec Motors burn cleaner than older 2 stroke motors and give off very little smoke or
oil in the exhaust.
 I have a 1998 2 stroke Evinrude 90 hp and if it is run slowly doing a lot of trolling for example,  even though it
is oil injected all the oil isn't burnt completely and will come out throught the prop opening because that is where the
motors exhaust is.
 That oil has nothing to do with your gear oil in your lower unit unless it has a crack or the prop seal is gone and then if water
was in it it would be a grey milky colour.

With an older 2 stroke if you troll for a long time and then hammer the throttle to full speed you will see blue smoke come up
out of the water because of the motors exhaust and this is all normal older 2 stroke operation.

Bob

BBK

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 12:20 AM »
How much was coming out? I'd pull the prop and run it again and see where the oil is coming from. If it is coming out of the exhaust you are fine, if it is coming from around the prop you have some problems.

MONSTERQUEST

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 04:15 AM »
MOST LIKLY OIL IS FROM A FOGGING OIL USED WHEN MOTOR WAS PUT UP FOR OFF SEASON STORAGE.

1fish@atime

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 04:43 AM »
MOST LIKLY OIL IS FROM A FOGGING OIL USED WHEN MOTOR WAS PUT UP FOR OFF SEASON STORAGE.
Right on target. Took mine a couple runs to get it all out.
I was asked by the mechanic who sold me my motor to please always use a barrel. Allows your pump to fully prime and work correctly, and you can check lower unit for water in the oil. Muffs or a hose hook up don't always.

King Fisher

• Born to FISH forced to WORK!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2010, 01:19 AM »
it is somewhat a milky colour...  does that narrow it down to anything?

WinnieTroll

« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2010, 06:29 AM »
Put a little bit on your fingertips and smell it.Lower unit oil stinks,espically if you just changed it.No big deal to have that seal swapped out.Fish it a few times anyway then take a look at how milky that oil is.

tbfisherman

• FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2010, 10:18 AM »

Hi

Your lower unit gear oil drain screw and the top screw that shows when your lower unit is full of gear oil has neoprene washers
and they can get brittle and allow water to get into your lower unit too.
 Cheap easy fix if that is it.

If you were to leave that millky gear oil [water in it] in your lower unit over the winter then your lower unit would freeze and crack.
 I always drain my gear oil at the end of the season and put fresh gear oil in before freeze up.

Most likely it is your prop seal that is gone letting water get in and letting the gear oil leak out......fishing line wrapped around your
prop shaft can cut into and blow that seal..... Remove your prop and see if there is any fishing line wrapped around your prop shaft?

Bob

hoghammer

« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2010, 10:38 AM »
I agree with TB. Fishing line wrapped around the prop is murder on the seals if you do not do a regular check behind the prop for line. If its milky you have water in the oil.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.