FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 558783 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2715 on: Sep 30, 2014, 04:43 PM »
Head for the lakes Trapper. Perchin' is starting.

On the other hand, all youse guys head for the woods. I'll hold down the fort ;D

Made perch sausage yesterday.....YUM!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #2716 on: Sep 30, 2014, 07:26 PM »
Rg...Perch sausage?  Explain, please.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2717 on: Oct 01, 2014, 02:06 AM »
Perch breakfast sausage.  It's very tasty.

Coarse grind really cold, almost frozen, cut up perch fillets.
Add Seasonings , I like:
Sea salt
Pepper
Fresh parsely and basil
Garlic powder
Ground fennel
Also add some water to the mix. About 1/4 cup each to 4 cups of mix. It seems to help with the stuffing and cooking process.

Keep everything really cold while working with it.
Get out your sausage stuffer and have some fun. You may need to spray the inside of your stuffer with a bit of oil or water. The mix is very sticky.

Don't over cook it or they turn into rubber weenies :-\

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2718 on: Oct 01, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Perch breakfast sausage.  It's very tasty.

Coarse grind really cold, almost frozen, cut up perch fillets.
Add Seasonings , I like:
Sea salt
Pepper
Fresh parsely and basil
Garlic powder
Ground fennel
Also add some water to the mix. About 1/4 cup each to 4 cups of mix. It seems to help with the stuffing and cooking process.

Keep everything really cold while working with it.
Get out your sausage stuffer and have some fun. You may need to spray the inside of your stuffer with a bit of oil or water. The mix is very sticky.

Don't over cook it or they turn into rubber weenies :-\

Rg

Rg,

I have a similar recipe a lady sent me on another forum...I believe her's was for Bluegill or Crappie. When I find it I'll post it.

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2719 on: Oct 02, 2014, 02:45 AM »
The kids bought me a grinding attachment for our Kitchen Aid a couple years back. I play with making sausages once in a while. I made a batch for our annual game dinner last year. We cut it into about 1" pieces and deep fried it. We served it with cocktail sauce and tartar sauce. Sure disappeared quick ;D

Love to see another recipe.

Rg

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2720 on: Oct 02, 2014, 05:55 AM »
i forsee  a batch of  rockbass sausage this spring ...........
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #2721 on: Oct 02, 2014, 06:18 AM »
Good idea Trap.  I love those things.

KingPerch

« Reply #2722 on: Oct 02, 2014, 01:10 PM »
i forsee  a batch of  rockbass sausage this spring ...........
:rotflol: ;D
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2723 on: Oct 02, 2014, 03:20 PM »
Caught a few pretty big Rockies at Canandaigua today. Then I dropped a cylinder on my outboard. Lots of fun coming back in a heavy chop  from a mile down the lake on the little electric. >:(

Testing says it's the power pack. Just replaced it. Year and a half ago. Guess I shouldn't have purchased the aftermarket model.

Rg

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2724 on: Oct 02, 2014, 08:28 PM »

Love to see another recipe.

Rg

Hey Rg,...

I finally found it so here's the recipe....

For 50-75 Bluegill (or other or mixed) panfish filets,  and that's the filet count, not the whole fish count...

1 TBSP Minced onion

1 TBSP Fennel seed

1 TBSP Crushed red pepper

1 Tsp. Chives

1 Tsp. Parsley

1 Tsp. Garlic powder

1 Tsp. Paprika

1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper

1/4 cup whole milk

2 egg yolks (optional)

Grind all filets semi-frozen (or at least chilled) through a 3/16" plate, then mix in all seasonings and stuff into Sheep casing or make patties.

Rg,... I have never personally tried this recipe so you may have to "wing it" as far as the 50-75 filet count is concerned... But I'm sure you know that!

ENJOY!!  ;D

WK

Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

KingPerch

« Reply #2725 on: Oct 03, 2014, 11:55 AM »
Caught a few pretty big Rockies at Canandaigua today. Then I dropped a cylinder on my outboard. Lots of fun coming back in a heavy chop  from a mile down the lake on the little electric. >:(

Testing says it's the power pack. Just replaced it. Year and a half ago. Guess I shouldn't have purchased the aftermarket model.

Rg
Glad to hear you made it back to shore Bud!! ;)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2726 on: Oct 03, 2014, 01:14 PM »
Yeah, the old electric and a giant battery have saved me on a few occasions. installed the new power pack this morning and took it for a test ride on the canal. Purrs like a kitten.  A problem I could throw money at and fix :-\

Rg

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #2727 on: Oct 03, 2014, 02:07 PM »
Hey Rg,...

I finally found it so here's the recipe....

For 50-75 Bluegill (or other or mixed) panfish filets,  and that's the filet count, not the whole fish count...

1 TBSP Minced onion

1 TBSP Fennel seed

1 TBSP Crushed red pepper

1 Tsp. Chives

1 Tsp. Parsley

1 Tsp. Garlic powder

1 Tsp. Paprika

1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper

1/4 cup whole milk

2 egg yolks (optional)

Grind all filets semi-frozen (or at least chilled) through a 3/16" plate, then mix in all seasonings and stuff into Sheep casing or make patties.

Rg,... I have never personally tried this recipe so you may have to "wing it" as far as the 50-75 filet count is concerned... But I'm sure you know that!

ENJOY!!  ;D

WK

i have to try this ONE, looks great
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

Gump

« Reply #2728 on: Oct 03, 2014, 07:28 PM »
Any veteran rod builders ever cut an actual whole 1 piece blank?    Came across some sweet vintage fiberglass blanks and need to perform surgery on them.  Want to create spigot ferrule connections...fortunately I have some extra spinning blanks that came along with the fly blanks that I could potentially practice on.....

RG ?

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2729 on: Oct 04, 2014, 02:43 AM »
I've done a few. It's not terribly hard. A mitre box, hack saw with a very fine blade, digital micrometer, battery drill, sand paper, masking tape and epoxy are about all you need. Oh yeah, and a scrap blank.

It's a little fussy is all.

Some of the old blanks were built with a hump where the ferrule would be installed you might be able to feel it.

Just decide where you're gonna cut the blank,  wrap it with a layer of masking tape to help eliminate splintering, put it in the mitre box and cut it with the hack saw using a pretty fine blade. I cut them on my rod lathe using a Dremel.

Measure the I.D. Of the butt and find a scrap about 5" long with about the same O.D. As the I.D. at the center of the scrap. A little oversized is better so you can put the scrap,in a drill and sand it to exact size while removing the finish from the scrap. You want it to be a very smooth, dull finish. 600 grit sandpaper then 0000 steel wool.

Slide the scrap into the butt section and continue fitting until you have about 2 1/2" extending past the end. This will be your spigot. Continue fitting it into the tip section till you have a nice snug fit.

Next you need to fill the tip section at a point about 1/2" past where the end of the spigot will stop. This will create the vacuum seal. Generally, a piece of cork fitted to the tube diameter can be tapped into place and will form a tight seal.

Once you're satisfied with all the fitting, pop the spigot out of the butt end, epoxy the lower inch or so and slide it into place.  It helps to have some old solid fiberglass blank to push it into place. Just be careful not to split the blank and don't forget to finish the ends of the blank where you cut it before assembling the spigot.

It's a learning experience ;D

Let me know how you make out.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.