FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 558765 times)

Gump

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2730 on: Oct 04, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Thanks RG.  that pretty well reinforces what I had already read, and your explanation is even much clearer.  One question....when you say finish off the ends of the cut blank, what do you mean by this?  some sort of soft sanding and sealing to prevent splintering I am guessing?

This is what I came across on Craigs list....a collection of vintage spinning and flyrod Lamiglass and Fenni blanks.....

I know some of the blanks have some value and are more unusual to come by including the Lami S-Glass blank, and there are a couple yellow Fenwicks.

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2731 on: Oct 04, 2014, 09:00 AM »
Great find my friend.
Yes, I meant that you should lightly sand the cut ends of the blank with very fine, 600 wet, sandpaper. Then put a coat of something on them just to seal them. Sally Hanson hard as nails works in a pinch.

Let me know if you want to let one of those S-glass blanks go. They make great perch rods ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2732 on: Oct 04, 2014, 06:39 PM »
thats a great find!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Gump

« Reply #2733 on: Oct 04, 2014, 10:24 PM »
Thanks guys...quite a few winter projects in that pile   ;D

RG....I'm not ready to part with the s-glass fly blanks yet but if your talking one of the spinning blanks, yes, I don't mind selling one or two.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2734 on: Oct 05, 2014, 03:35 AM »
Pm me a list of the model numbers you might part with.  Love building rods in the winter ;D I need to build one for my Grandson for Christmas.

I have a couple rebuild projects planned this winter. I need to re-wrap a couple of my vintage rods. My Pfleuger President 5wt IM6 needs a new set of guides. I also need to set up a vacuum system for my rod lathe so I can spin handles . Messy business that!. Dark Cloud spins up some beautiful custom handles and makes me jealous :-\ I've done a few in the past, but I can't tolerate the dust in my hobby room.

You should build yourself a heated drying box and epoxy mixer. Fairly cheap projects. Makes life much easier when finishing. I'll help you with plans if you like. I also have a 3 jaw head stock for a dryer that's a spare if you decide to get into it. Happy to trade.

Nothing like fishing with a rod you built. I've been doing it since the late 70's. The first one I built was a Fenwick Ul-66 for stream fishing. Used a phone book to tension the thread, dried it on a cardboard box with a couple of notches in it. I fished with that rod for 20 years before the tip section went flying off to the bottom of Sodus Bay. Made me cry.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Gump

« Reply #2735 on: Oct 08, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Rg,

Here is what I have in spinning blanks...

S-Glass 7' SFW852M

(yellow) 7' FW 84 1M

(yellow) FW 84 IM

(yellow) 7' FW 801S

(Brown) 7' FW 801S

(yellow) 7' FW 8616

Pick your poison(s)... ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2736 on: Oct 09, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Hard to find any info on those Lamiglas blanks. What's the lightest of the lot?

Rg

Gump

« Reply #2737 on: Oct 10, 2014, 05:36 PM »
RG we could just meet some day and you can wiggle them if you want  :)   I'm heading to FLA for about a week but when I get back lets touch base.  Maybe we can meet up on the water somewhere?  Your the east side of Rochester correct?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2738 on: Oct 11, 2014, 01:57 AM »
Sounds like a plan. PM sent.
Have fun .

Rg

trapper2000

« Reply #2739 on: Oct 22, 2014, 01:16 PM »
chase a  few  salmon  chased  a  few   gills  chased a few  deer  with the  bow  chased a  few  woman  ...i  ain't  caught  nothing  but  a hard  time :(   lol  ....  been  busy  boys    getting   traps  ready  sighted  in  the   new  rifle  a  remington  700 adl  30-06    great  gun   new  under  300  bucks  at  wally  world ....gotta  love  em ..... 

trapper2000

« Reply #2740 on: Oct 31, 2014, 06:55 PM »
sorry I  been  away guys  .... those that know me  know  my lady has had a rough  time , that being  said she had a nasty fall  and shattered her wrist so I been a bit  busy .... I  did get a few traps out the other  day and I hope to  go beat up on some chrome  and maybe sock a  deer  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2741 on: Nov 01, 2014, 04:56 PM »
Sorry to hear about Mrs. Trapper. Hope she makes out ok!

Rg

trapper2000

« Reply #2742 on: Nov 02, 2014, 07:35 PM »
well  RG  she  disrupted  the  bones  in the base of  her hand and  broke   the   two  bones  in her forearm .....  if  she   lets  it heal  she  would  lose  mobility  so  a  operation   and a  metal  plate  are  in order :(

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2743 on: Nov 03, 2014, 02:33 AM »
Wrist injuries stink. I smashed my left in a fall off a ladder some 30 years ago. Wish they'd had today's technology. I have about 70% with it. Makes playing piano and guitar a challange.

My family to yours.....best wishes for a good recovery.

Rg

shark

« Reply #2744 on: Nov 03, 2014, 05:01 AM »
well  RG  she  disrupted  the  bones  in the base of  her hand and  broke   the   two  bones  in her forearm .....  if  she   lets  it heal  she  would  lose  mobility  so  a  operation   and a  metal  plate  are  in order :(

I had broke my ankle July 28th, Broke 2 bones . Doc put metal plate and screws in to hold it all together. They have that stuff down really good. My brother had his wrist done a couple years ago and no problems.
         good thoughts to you and your wife,  wishing her a speedy recovery.

Mark.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.