FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 559488 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #2805 on: Mar 19, 2015, 02:57 PM »
Yeah, my creek is flowing good and the canal is melting down more every day. That sun is getting up there and doing its job. Little rain in the forecast next week. Should help things along. I'm getting anxious a to hit the docks.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #2806 on: Mar 25, 2015, 10:30 AM »
Hey, got my new license plate in the mail:

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2807 on: Mar 25, 2015, 10:47 AM »
 :rotflol:
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2808 on: Mar 25, 2015, 11:57 AM »
Too good!!   :w00t: :thumbup_smilie:
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2809 on: Mar 25, 2015, 03:08 PM »
Is that for real? I love it!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bluegillonafly

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2811 on: Mar 25, 2015, 04:49 PM »
That figures.  :-\

Rg

Dark Cloud

« Reply #2812 on: Apr 01, 2015, 07:26 PM »
A 70 year old and 40 year old fart got out this morning with the flyrods. Cold but we found plenty of fish and some nice hold overs   ;D

Kept some for a meal, sent this beaut back and a bunch of small ones...

more snow than we have ever seen along the creeks on april1...

MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

trapper2000

« Reply #2813 on: Apr 01, 2015, 07:32 PM »
very nice!!!! pretty water

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2814 on: Apr 01, 2015, 10:33 PM »
Dark Cloud....

NICE!! Looks like you fellas had a great time! Not gonna ask where you were fishing, but what patterns were working well for ya? BTW... the snow adds a nice contrast to the photos, much better than a dark background of dead grass, weeds, nothing green yet.  Nothing against keeping a trout or two for a meal, I keep a few each season so the Mrs. and I can enjoy a nice meal of fresh grilled trout, leeks and a baked potato. But also glad to see that you put that big boy back (???... looked like a holdover male).

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

Dark Cloud

« Reply #2815 on: Apr 02, 2015, 06:04 PM »
Trap - its a beautiful little hard bottom creek. The holdovers tend to com out of these spots. The fatter one I posted a pict of was under this log  ;D

Wanna - we are fishing small minnows on those 9ft fly rods. 5 ft of mono off the fly line and some split shots. Very effective on the small water. And fun! This creek is loaded with the little cased caddis that look like sticks. A guy could fish them and get fish. But the minnow gig is better for covering ground...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

trapper2000

« Reply #2816 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:41 PM »
very nice  man .....

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2817 on: Apr 02, 2015, 09:41 PM »
Dark Cloud,

Yes I know a few little gems like that myself. Those type of streams are "classic" Brown Trout water. Many of them look so much alike that their only difference is their names. The fly rod and minnow technique was how I started trout fishing when I was a kid. I used a 9' Montague bamboo rod with one of the old style Martin horizontal automatic reels on it. My Mom bought me that outfit at an auction for $8.00 when I was about nine or ten years old and I still have it although I don't fish minnows on a fly rod anymore.
One little creek in particular that I fish on occasion looks just like the creek in your picture. I took a good friend of mine (who also happened to be the Waterways Officer for the region I live in) there once after forcing him to swear a blood oath of secrecy and he was VERY impressed with the size of some of the trout we caught that day. This man was a career officer who was also a very devout fly fisherman and a professional level fly tier. He fished PA, NY, and West VA each year and had seen countless brown trout over the course of his career and personal time spent fishing. He tied 8-10,000 flies during the winter months for shops he helped supply in PA and WV.
The funny thing is, we spent the day fly fishing, but when we were walking back to the truck he said, "Wow... there's some really nice trout in that little creek! If I really wanted to see the potential of what's living in it, I'd fish it with live minnows!"  ;D  

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

wiredstone

« Reply #2818 on: Apr 03, 2015, 04:45 AM »
That is great DC 8)
wooo fish on. Never mind

trapper2000

« Reply #2819 on: May 03, 2015, 03:03 PM »
I went after some gills  this morning  ,the seemed to like a  bead head prince nymph  and a hares ear later in the morning  I had a  little fun with a  adams ..... lot of smaller fish but  it was fun anyways  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.