FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 558734 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3315 on: Sep 27, 2016, 01:14 PM »
another day of chuck and duck  today on the river ,little surprise at the number of guys  with fly rods ,I realize  the tossing weight eliminates the learning curve ,but I love seeing  guys  with fly rods ...I do have a  few suggestions or I guess tips is a better word if your running a old fly reel and your going to fill it with mono  first  put 50 yrds of fly rod backing on your reel ,the mono's memory will tighten and the reel won't work....  when your  fishing chuck and  duck I use a slingy instead of split shots that way if you yank and  the weight hits your rod  it's les chance of damage ...plus you won't get hung up as much.... I prefer to run a  swivel when using weight  I prefer a 3 way ,less tangles .....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Gremlin

• there's one !!!
« Reply #3316 on: Sep 29, 2016, 04:16 PM »
 Trap, I've been using the fly rod for a few yrs now. Chuck and Duck is productive, but it really doesn't feel like fly fishing to me. Whats your set-up for salmon if you don't mind me asking. Thanks.

trapper2000

« Reply #3317 on: Sep 29, 2016, 04:50 PM »
Trap, I've been using the fly rod for a few yrs now. Chuck and Duck is productive, but it really doesn't feel like fly fishing to me. Whats your set-up for salmon if you don't mind me asking. Thanks.

depends on the water flow  .....the biggest thing is getting the fly down if the  flow allows  i'll add lead to the  fly  or  micro shot.....I'm really not a fan of a sinking tip  .....if the water  is mid level I often will  go  to a  chuck and duck set up  but  I really try to avoid it it's heavy ,and  if you hit your  rod with lead it's not good .....I don't like the  toss and  lift thing either ...it's true I really don't believe  kings  hit  ...but cohos will at times ...(note   at times!)
and   I don't want to be lifting  steelies or  browns  so I  prefer  a drift  ...I  often will use  weight to get the  fly  down  but  I  use a  strike  indicator ...(like pinning  but I  don't run it  down stream I  fish a normal  drift patteren and  I honestly drift it ..... number  3 if the water  is   "high" I will go  to the  noodle rod or  chuck and  duck .......... I will change  technics and  equipment  depending on the  conditions ......

never tried a  two hander either

Gump

« Reply #3318 on: Oct 01, 2016, 09:58 AM »
Couldn't think of a better way to spend my birthday weekend.  Spent a long weekend up north in the ADK's and was able to hit several bodies of water with the kayak as well as hiked into a wild brook trout stream.  Multiple waters, multiple rods, multiple species.  Couple of crisp mornings made for some surreal landscapes.  The fish were just icing on the cake.

Big thanks to my better half for sharing the trip with me.  She gets photo credits for the eagles and the shots of me in the kayak battling bronzebacks.

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #3319 on: Oct 01, 2016, 12:56 PM »
THAT is some great photo's,and some nice fish
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

gotabig1

« Reply #3320 on: Oct 01, 2016, 02:05 PM »
Now that's the way to spend a birthday!!! Or any day for that matter!! Really nice pics too

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #3321 on: Oct 02, 2016, 12:13 PM »
Now that's the way to spend a birthday!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself! Those are some great pics Gump, looks like you and the Mrs. had a really nice time in the Dacks!

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

chrony59

« Reply #3322 on: Oct 03, 2016, 05:18 AM »
I knew I wouldn't jinx you Man .....................Awesome photo's thanks to you and the Mrs for sharing ! Love the Eagle and Brookie pictures  :bowdown: :clapping: :thumbup_smilie:

Bartman44

« Reply #3323 on: Oct 03, 2016, 05:24 PM »
Great pics. I think your rod is longer than your kayak.  ;D

Gump

« Reply #3324 on: Oct 05, 2016, 07:38 PM »
Thanks guys. 

Great pics. I think your rod is longer than your kayak.
Almost !  lol  it's an 8.5' ...the kayak is 9.5'  It is a vintage Lamiglas S-Glass series SFL1027S blank that I built up a couple years ago.  I would argue that it may be one of the best blanks for smallmouth ever.  Oh and that translucent glow in the sun warms my soul.   :laugh:

Here is one more I will share with you.  It wasn't on my fly gear but I like the photo just the same.  Our last night there I got into some hot topwater action with the pike on light spin gear.  Little blurry but hard to get it perfect in a moving kayak in low light.

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #3325 on: Oct 06, 2016, 07:01 AM »
NICE-like the photo and the lure,donot like the look in his eyes
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

whistlepig

« Reply #3326 on: Oct 06, 2016, 09:18 AM »
Great pictures

trapper2000

« Reply #3327 on: Oct 10, 2016, 04:21 AM »
got to admit those are nice pictures!!!!  I think i'll be walking in water with the fly rod  today in search of a brown or steelie  sure i'll end up with sore arms from salmon ......

trapper2000

« Reply #3328 on: Oct 13, 2016, 05:18 AM »
I want to take a minute and  say thank you to Mr. KP, who took the time, to help me out  when I really needed it. the  ramp is outstanding larry  your work is fantastic .....  a  little side note ,Freddie  yelled at us for not letting him know because he would have came to help too .....you guys are the best man  thank you .........

Freddie I did a great job supervising him!

;D

filetandrelease

« Reply #3329 on: Oct 13, 2016, 08:05 AM »
Trapp , That's what friends do ,  the speaker phone stuff was funny as hll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.