FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: best chum for stripers..?  (Read 4094 times)

Mearzy

best chum for stripers..?
« on: Jun 10, 2010, 08:50 PM »
I was gonna start freezing up some chum bags...  been saving onion bags and was wondering if I should stick with herring and mackeral or could I also throw in the bellies from fresh water catches?  Anyone ever tried chummin with pickeral or crappie?  Just figured I'd try some mixed bag chum instead of chucking the fresh water guts..

salmon stalker

Re: best chum for stripers..?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2010, 08:39 AM »
really no need chumming stripers....they move with the tides. When they are in, they are in. If they are not in, chum won't bring them.

Now some commercial fleets go thru a couple flatts of bait for chumming, but they are tossing small chunks and grinded up fish. They make a thich slick to hold them in place, but again this would be on the ocean front, not often in rivers, channels or bays/flatts.

If you are going to try, herring, mackerel, squid, shrimp, pollock, sand eels are their main forage.
The outdoors, a real man's playground!!!!!!

Rob F.

• Quit Wishin, Go Fishing!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2010, 09:18 AM »
Herring is the best to chum up in a grinder b/c their bones dont clog the grinders as much. Same with Pogies..

But Mackerel I would say is the best choice and there are loads of them out there right now. Gett'm before Blues show up and pushes them out..

bunker killer

« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2010, 10:07 AM »
I'm a big believer in chumming for stripers, if there in the area it will keep them around you longer. I always grind my chum, and down here in CT my choice is Bunker for bait and chum. Any oily fish will work for chum, and if the blues come in drop out more anchor line and you should find the bass behind them.

salmon stalker

« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2010, 12:16 PM »
They just had a 48" striper caught off Isle of Shoals this week. Big ones are coming in.....
The outdoors, a real man's playground!!!!!!

surflizard

« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2010, 07:23 AM »
Personally, I like to toss em fresh Pogy chunks (Menhaden). I steak the body into chunks and use the head with a 7/0 treble. I've held Stripers through the tide change feeding them Pogy chunks  ;D  Macks are definitely easier to get and the Stripers will take em. The only thing that I use chum for is to bring in the Pogys and Macks, 9 lives canned cat food works great for the bait fish. Here kitty,kitty, oops,fishy,fishy  :rotflol:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.