FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Highland Lake - Stoddard NH  (Read 6907 times)

Johnny Ringo

Highland Lake - Stoddard NH
« on: Jul 28, 2010, 07:50 AM »
Hi All:

Anyone have any experience fishing Highland Lake in Stoddard? I'm thinking about checking it out this weekend for some bass action and wondering what you guys know of the lake. Based on my research thus far there are 2 boat ramps, is one better then the othere?

I know there use to be a lot of bass tournaments held there not sure if they still have them or not.

Any information would be appreciated..

Thanks, Johnny Ringo

pipes18079

Re: Highland Lake - Stoddard NH
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2010, 10:15 AM »
I have fished a few club tourneys out there but none this year. I always did well in the pads with frogs or punching through them with heavy texas rigged craw patterns. I think if you continue down the lake it opens up and loses the weeds and turns into what I call smallmouth water. I did pull a nice bag out of there one time well good to me anyways just under 17 lbs

Johnny Ringo

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2010, 01:45 PM »
Pipes:

Thanks for the info. Catching a bag worth 17lbs of bass in NH is an accomplishment!!

I also like hitting the weeds with frogs and weedless rigs or worms, however my favorite is a top water popper earlier in the season.

Hope to get out there this weekend and if I do I will report back.

Thanks

NHAngler

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2010, 10:55 PM »
There is also a lot of submerged wood in there. More in the south end but can be found throughout. Both ramps are ok but the one off of 123 has very limited parking. I think the other ramp is controlled by a small marina. Been a while though.

Good luck. Nice bass lake.
Confidence catches fish! The rest of it is just there to keep us busy.

jibbs

« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2010, 09:32 AM »
i have had alot of luck in the middle of the lake where the water is much deeper for smallies......the upper end is good with wood and cover......cool place to fish
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Johnny Ringo

« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2010, 01:03 PM »
Hi All:

My plans to go to Highland Lake are on and I am pretty excited. The only concern I have are the boat launches. I have called the Highland Marina and they said their launch is public and no fee but parking is in the street. Has anyone ever parked there and if so ever had any problems?

From what I hear there is another place to launch but limited parking. Anyone ever been there and if so can you provide directions?

Thanks

Johnny Ringo

« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2010, 03:57 PM »
Quick update on Highland Lake:

Arrived Sat morning at 6am. Parking lot is very small but the ramp and water level there was fine..

Lots of fog on the water - beautiful sunrise. Water levels were down atleast 1 foot if not more around the lake.

Fished early with top water lures - little to no action at all. Headed for deeper water and explored the lake. Very long lake, lots of houses and camps, plenty of docs etc to fish but caught only 1 under a dock with a wacky rig Spanky.

Cruised the rest of the lake and found the logs and lots of structure, water was too low and warm but in the spring and fall this area must be a great spot.

Caught another 14" bass on one of my special JR lures - now up to 14 different species of fish on the same lure pattern I make..

All in all a great place, glad I went but will consider it as a fall or early spring lake, too many pleasure boats in during the day..

Also checked out Island Pond, just south of it. Lots of bass boats on the water  - looks nice will return there again in the fall.

volume4130

« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Nice report on Highland, I was thinking about hitting that up in 2 weeks when I make it back up there.  I'm surprised you saw so many people fishing at Island Pond.  Spent a few weekends up there this summer and only saw maybe 2-3 boats fishing on primetime fishing days.  lots of kayakers and canoeists, and maybe 1 boat water skiing, and that was about it.  Had some decent luck there at night and during the day in the pads, couple of 2.5-3 pounders...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.