FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Eating Yellow perch  (Read 31176 times)

The Rusty Crab

Eating Yellow perch
« on: Aug 18, 2010, 09:11 AM »
So I was informed that out in New York on Lake Ontario they eat yellow perch.  Fillet and battered then deep fried,  suppose to taste like a potato chip???  I didn't believe them until dinner that evening and seeing on the specials Northern Yellow Perch: broiled or Fried 11.50.  Shocked has anyone ever ate these aggrevating bait takers

fishfry

Re: Eating Yellow perch
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2010, 09:21 AM »
Very tasty, if you can find them without worms. Still anoying little bait stealers though.

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2010, 09:28 AM »
They taste like crap. if i was you i would just send what you catch down to us new york guys and we will get rid of them for ya  ;D ;D ;D

outdoorsman

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Yellow perch are very good to eat.  I like them rolled in bread crumbs and fried up in a skillet with butter.  I have never caught a wormy yellow perch in NY...only a tiny worm here and there (plus some with worms around their eyes, but not usually much in the meat).  Many of the ones I have caught up here in Maine are quite wormy though...probably wouldn't hurt the taste, but just unappetizing.  Edible though, I'm sure...if cooked well.
"I just want to get the work over as soon as possible so I can do some fishing. Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except that I still get to kill something."

1fish@atime

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2010, 10:18 AM »
Yellow perch are wonderful table fare. We fillet and either batter and fry or boil and serve chilled with cocktail sauce as a poor mans shrimp. Clean, firm white flesh fish. Any worms found will not hurt the eater. Only unappetising to the eye. I will usually discard fillets with worms/grubs. Only found a few in some fish caught in warm waters in the summer. Very few if any found in the flesh of cold water fish caught while ice fishing.

LostOne

« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2010, 10:33 AM »
no worms in winter.  ;)
You can\'t catch them, if you don\'t go.

fishfry

« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2010, 10:50 AM »
no worms in winter.  ;)
Caught some last winter with worms. 8)

mike78

• u betcha
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2010, 11:01 AM »
SOME OF THE BEST TO EAT

fishlessman

« Reply #8 on: Aug 18, 2010, 11:56 AM »

pretty much the only fish i eat out of the pond out front and they stock bows and brood salmon, i prefer the yellow perch. heres some with rings and ketchup, lets hear it from all you anti ketchup folks ;D

JDK

« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2010, 12:17 PM »
Caught a sled load of big ones a couple of winters ago.  Hate to admit it, but they were delicious.

# SAND

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 18, 2010, 01:24 PM »
put the fillets in salted water overnight in the fridge, and the worms will get out of the meat. no worms here, just grubs in some sunfish.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

KingPerch

« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2010, 01:32 PM »
They taste like crap. if i was you i would just send what you catch down to us new york guys and we will get rid of them for ya  ;D ;D ;D
Send them to Parish, NY...... NOT Palermo, NY!!!! NICE TRY HT!!!!!--KP ;D
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

fishfry

« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2010, 01:34 PM »
You New York guys should come up to Maine this winter, we could put you on plenty of perch. ;)

KingPerch

« Reply #13 on: Aug 18, 2010, 01:42 PM »
We hear that Mainehazmt has trained EAGLES..... We'll stay home thanks!! LOL!! Just kidding! A couple of us have talked about hardwater fishing there in the past.... just maybe we'll take you guys up on that offer!! ;) Tightlines!--KP
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

fishfry

« Reply #14 on: Aug 18, 2010, 01:44 PM »
We hear that Mainehazmt has trained EAGLES..... We'll stay home thanks!! LOL!! Just kidding! A couple of us have talked about hardwater fishing there in the past.... just maybe we'll take you guys up on that offer!! ;) Tightlines!--KP
You folks are welcome here anytime. Even hazzy has eaten perch at the shanty banquet!!!! :rotflol:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.