FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: pouring soft plastic  (Read 4202 times)

carpcatcher

pouring soft plastic
« on: Aug 26, 2010, 10:54 AM »
I've been trying to pour some of my own swim baits for stripers and the design it's self is coming out good. The question that I have is the plastic it's self is dull and not shinny. The mold that I made is plaster of paris. I'm guessing that I need to do something to the mold but what? I spray it with cooking spray and the plastic comes out very easy so I know it's not very pouris. Someone tell me what I need to do.
Love 2 fish

HIMO

• MFF Mod Team
  • Goatboy's- Wisconsin chapter "1st Wisconsin goat"
Re: pouring soft plastic
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2010, 11:45 AM »
Send a PM to New York Moderator coldfeet. he pours his own plastic and he may be able to help you out.

HIMO
                                                              MFF & Iceshanty Moderator
"IT'S NOT HOW DEEP YOU FISH, IT'S HOW YOU WIGGLE YOUR WORM" !!!

carpcatcher

« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2010, 11:53 AM »
Send a PM to New York Moderator coldfeet. he pours his own plastic and he may be able to help you out.

HIMO
                                                              MFF & Iceshanty Moderator
Thanks Himo, I already sent Wayne a PM but he doesn't seem to get on MFF much. I know he could tell me what to do but When I get something in my head to do I can't wait :o
Love 2 fish

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2010, 08:29 AM »
CarpCatcher
 Being that the mold was made of plaster of paris it has little voids in it. Although you are useing a release agent in the cooking spray it isnt enough to smooth it out for a gloss finish. I was looking at NetCrafts book and saw a dip for plastics to add color. Now if they sell the same colors you are casting you might think of trying this. Another thing you might try is warming the mold slightly before you pour this will allow the plastics to flow better if you are casting them them with a hot plastic. What is most likely happening is the plaster of paris is aborbing the oils from the worm plastic that normaly gives the finished worm the gloss. Try useing a sealer or some form or another to seal the mold. I am thinking of something like a varnish but if it need to be cooked you need something that will take the heat. Maybe something like a high temp engine paint might work. Spray it on and let cure for a day or two. Give it a try.
Did you put the plug in the boat?

fishfinger

« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2010, 05:34 PM »
http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/

This is the site I use for any questions that I've had about pouring my soft plastics.

BBK

« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2011, 08:38 PM »
Thought I would bump this up incase anyone else has questions. You need to seal a POP (plaster of paris) mold, there are many ways to do this but the most popular is 50/50 solution of elmers glue (forgot what kind) and water.

If you have questions about pouring the hands down best site is http://www.bearsbaits.net/forum/index.php?action=forum

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.