FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 625153 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1725 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:26 PM »
I'm working on it. You know me, takes a while for me to pull the trigger on such things. I searched my guitar for almost 2 years. I'm looking at a Snowbee vice too. Good thing I still work :-\

How'd you make out down South?

What do you think Trapper? Think I can fool Ole Liver lips with that one?

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #1726 on: Mar 12, 2014, 06:11 PM »
I'm working on it. You know me, takes a while for me to pull the trigger on such things. I searched my guitar for almost 2 years. I'm looking at a Snowbee vice too. Good thing I still work :-\

How'd you make out down South?

What do you think Trapper? Think I can fool Ole Liver lips with that one?

RG

Great! Caught a wide variety of sea creatures.  Unfortunately it's back to the frozen tundra. I used to play a Stratocaster but sold it when my kids were growing up. Used the money to buy two fly rods  ;D

fishgalore

« Reply #1727 on: Mar 12, 2014, 06:39 PM »
Great! Caught a wide variety of sea creatures.  Unfortunately it's back to the frozen tundra. I used to play a Stratocaster but sold it when my kids were growing up. Used the money to buy two fly rods  ;D

So, I had some time on my hands today. Work is shut down with this blizzard and I've been playing around with making some cheap easy dubbing mixes. I went to Wally World this morning before the nastiness hit and bought some supplies.

Coffee grinder $18
4 skeins of cheap acrylic yarn $2.77 ea.

I cut the yarn into 6" or so lengths

Then into 1/2" lengths and added some sparkle dubbing

I put a small amount of the mix in the grinder

Spun it up and....Voila!

4 ' of yarn made enough dubbing for dozens of flies

There's a ton of possibilities. And....I have enough yarn in enough colors to make flies till the cows come home.

RG

Looks like you are from frugal city. A lesson on how to save $$$$, thanks RG!  Bart........that looks like heaven.............wish I were there!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1728 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:07 PM »
Frugal city.....yeah, you could say that. I cringe when I have to pay 4 bucks for a tiny plastic bag of what I just made for fractions of a penny. Some things you just have to buy. Dubbing for carp and panfish flies.....I don't think so.

Looks like fun Bart. Beats hell out of our current conditions :-\ I bought a Taylor Grand Auditorium

This very Guitar

It's real nice!

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1729 on: Mar 13, 2014, 04:13 PM »
Yet another day off due to weather.....more time on the bench ;D

Decided to make use of a recent gift from a friend. He sent me a bunch of peacock feathers. Tied a few buggers and a few Clouser Bugger hybrids.

I like where this is going ;D

RG

troutaddict97

• Life member North American Fishing Club
« Reply #1730 on: Mar 13, 2014, 04:22 PM »
what size are those hybrids?
‎"... standing in a cool stream with a mountain range or a meadow nearby, fly rod in hand and cigar in mouth, is the way God meant mankind to live."
-- Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1731 on: Mar 13, 2014, 04:58 PM »
Very cool RG..   
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1732 on: Mar 13, 2014, 05:11 PM »
what size are those hybrids?
4x long streamer #8, 5/32 brass eye. (black)

Thanks Dom! ;)

RG

troutaddict97

• Life member North American Fishing Club
« Reply #1733 on: Mar 13, 2014, 06:00 PM »
I would use them for brookies here in Maine  8)
‎"... standing in a cool stream with a mountain range or a meadow nearby, fly rod in hand and cigar in mouth, is the way God meant mankind to live."
-- Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

fishgalore

« Reply #1734 on: Mar 13, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Frugal city.....yeah, you could say that. I cringe when I have to pay 4 bucks for a tiny plastic bag of what I just made for fractions of a penny. Some things you just have to buy. Dubbing for carp and panfish flies.....I don't think so.

Looks like fun Bart. Beats hell out of our current conditions :-\ I bought a Taylor Grand Auditorium

This very Guitar

It's real nice!

RG

This has been sitting around now for a while. Stopped playing when the kids were young. Anyone interested? 1980 Ibanez M340 blonde. Beautiful sound comes out of this thing. I have more pics too!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1735 on: Mar 14, 2014, 01:49 AM »
PM sent!
RG

stripernut

« Reply #1736 on: Mar 14, 2014, 05:21 AM »
Decided to make use of a recent gift from a friend. He sent me a bunch of peacock feathers. Tied a few buggers and a few Clouser Bugger hybrids.

Those will catch some fish! When I worked for Orvis years ago, we called those hybrids Wooly Bombers, one of my favorite flies!

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1737 on: Mar 14, 2014, 11:24 AM »
RG...I think carp would love those hybrids!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1738 on: Mar 14, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Someone else mentioned Wooly Bombers. I looked it up. Nice flies.....I'm working on it ;D

I love the Clouser type flies for just about anything that swims. As for carp flies, I like something that settles a bit more slowly. Gives them a chance to see it.

RG

Gump

« Reply #1739 on: Mar 16, 2014, 09:53 AM »
Some more baitfish patterns for Spring shoreline browns and smallmouth....

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.