FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 624149 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2250 on: May 21, 2015, 03:11 PM »
I have used barbering scissors which are the  sharpest I believe  when my dad and  brother both were barbers  now I have  found just the  cheaper ones  at any fly shop seem to work great as for hackle pliars  don't get a  adjustable set  you will  sooner or later be throwing  them  get the  spring ones ....much easier to work
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fenwick2010

« Reply #2251 on: May 21, 2015, 04:15 PM »
Lol that would be a mess thinking my stuff is on its way and its coming from china   ???

Thanks for all the tips, I also would like to try a build sometime. Maybe a small 3/4 weight with a good quality blank but nothing pricy. I have wrapped a few nice ice rods with maroon thread wraps with gold trim and bought a few fly rod handle pieces inc the carbon fiber insert, fighting but and upper cork. Came out great and has good balance. It was a great way to learn but trying to fit an eye on such a thin diameter blank was a pain and took a bit of learning. "Hot glue" worked well. I think I could easily pull off a fly rod build.

Im really liking the time and effort thats put into projects like these and using the end result for years. It sucks when one breaks though and you cannot find the same blank you got used to. I like very thin graphite for the ice but not to slow.... How do you order a blank online without knowing what the "feel" is like?

What would you suggest for a brand of blanks thats a 100$ or less that's a quality blank for starters.  I looked at a few brands on jans netcraft ect. just dont know were to start.

I built a small two piece contraption out of blocks of oak and that slides so I can adjust were I want the rod supported on one end. It has a pair of small 1/4" dowels with a gap between to lay the rod in so it can be spun while wrapping and has a felt strip that it lays on. Kinda made it off of the small ones they sell in the oder magazine. I just need to rig up a few bolts, washers, wing nuts , springs and eye hooks to hold the thread and keep tension and at the same time , direct the threas to the middle of the device .... I never got that far and did it by hand .

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2252 on: May 21, 2015, 04:43 PM »
TFO Finesse blank. Great blank, great price. I love mine.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rp dog

« Reply #2253 on: May 21, 2015, 07:29 PM »
I only live a little over an hour from Jans and they are a good company to deal with. If you sign up for it they will email you with sales and sometimes free shipping. I usually get an email every week about special offers. You've got a great wealth of information right there with those N Y guys . A good vise, scissors, hackle pliers, and would recommend a few good quality bobbins. I also use a lot of single edge razor blades. Just really satisfying to use your own creations.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #2254 on: May 22, 2015, 12:55 AM »
..started with these.. ;D

big_guy_13021

« Reply #2255 on: May 22, 2015, 01:00 AM »
....ended up with these. 1/80th.oz.. ;D ;D

rp dog

« Reply #2256 on: May 22, 2015, 06:31 AM »
Looks like going to bluegill dinner headed your way. Very nice.
Rp

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2257 on: May 23, 2015, 05:24 PM »
Well... I made a good score today at a yard sale. I've been going to pick up a coffee grinder to use as a dubbing blender and although I was tempted to use the wife's from time to time, something told me that wasn't a good idea. I found one at a yard sale that looked to be in very good condition and very clean. I asked the lady how much and she said $1.00 so I grabbed it. It works like a champ. clipped up some different colors of yarns and it blended them like no tomorrow. WOOHOO!! Cheap dubbing from now on!  ;D

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2258 on: May 23, 2015, 05:39 PM »

Yup ;D

Walmart has camo colored yarn. It has every color a fly fisher needs. Here I was working on some scud material.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2259 on: May 24, 2015, 07:59 PM »
I also  found a  sharpie adds  color   as  with scuds  I  tie  with  basic  hares  mask   then  take a  sharpi  and  make the  back a pink  or  olive color  then   use a  clear scud  back   for a  two tone scud ....don't  know if  it  catches more fish but it looks trick ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #2260 on: May 28, 2015, 10:21 AM »
RG, i've found some of those skeins of embroidery thread tend to not be quite so color fast, you ever had any bleed color on you?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2261 on: May 28, 2015, 03:27 PM »
Not that I've noticed.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2262 on: May 30, 2015, 06:14 AM »
"Bead Head Mini Buggers"

Bluegill killers, but, watch out for that bass ;D

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2263 on: May 30, 2015, 04:03 PM »
This one is a killer ;D
#12 Maruto nymph hook
Black 140 Danville
Dubbing mix; raccoon, coyote, wing flash
Black marabou tail
Tie on a small barbell eye

Tie in tail

Make a dubbing loop

Dub forward and cover the head then return the thread to behind the eye.

Tie in silly legs behind the eye, trim to tail length, dub over thread, bring the thread to the eye and whip finish.

Try it....you'll like it ;D

Rg

rp dog

« Reply #2264 on: May 30, 2015, 07:42 PM »
Very nice R G there won't be a bluegill safe around there. Like you said the bass won't be able to leave them alone either.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.