FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 625248 times)

boondox

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2640 on: Jan 30, 2016, 07:48 PM »
I wasn't gonna say anything Boon. Many is the time I've tied them wrong side up. But, Bart's no novice.

Rg

I sure he did them right just thought I would say it..sorry if it did not come out right using a new phone lols...he did a good job the flies looked awesome and  was just pointing it out... lol's

Bartman44

« Reply #2641 on: Jan 31, 2016, 08:13 PM »
I sure he did them right just thought I would say it..sorry if it did not come out right using a new phone lols...he did a good job the flies looked awesome and  was just pointing it out... lol's

Hahaha, I'm actually to blame for the optical illusion as I placed the flies upside down when taking the photo. They are tied "Clouser correct"  so just hold your PC upside down and take another look.  :laugh:

As far as the color scheme, the traditional Black Ghost has the big white wing on top and yellow on the bottom so I ran with that. Fish don't seem to mind the colors at all. ;D

Here's one of my traditional Ghost ties from my Maine Box.

Speaking of saltwater, you're creative RG so here's my next challenge. Cinder worms. Can't find a good pattern on the web, they all suck. I was on the cape last June when I had about 50 stripers sucking these in right in front of me  and I didn't have a shot. I'm thinking simple, like craft yarn in the right size@colors. They run 1- 3 inches and are pink, tan and red and have a crazy swim action. I'll be back there this summer, hopefully with a better imitation. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQEPZpbhEB4

boondox

« Reply #2642 on: Jan 31, 2016, 10:13 PM »
nice fly there bartman44!  by the way I got a pattern for cinder worms some were I will have to look but I am sure I still got on if you want it?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2643 on: Feb 01, 2016, 02:55 PM »
Siliworms come to mind.

Tie them San Juan style or even on a Clouser style rig. I've been meaning to,get some for my Arsenal.

Now I have a question for you guys. What grip,style would you prefer for a 10', 6 wt?  Half or full wells?

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2644 on: Feb 01, 2016, 04:05 PM »
Watched the video. I'd say that some coloring and maybe a tandem rigged Siliworm would dart around like the real McCoy.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

boondox

« Reply #2645 on: Feb 01, 2016, 05:52 PM »
Siliworms come to mind.

Tie them San Juan style or even on a Clouser style rig. I've been meaning to,get some for my Arsenal.

Now I have a question for you guys. What grip,style would you prefer for a 10', 6 wt?  Half or full wells?

Rg

the grips up you? but I prefer a full wells style cause you got the thumb bump to add power to the tip if needed on the cast half well or cigar don't give the power I need for casting a 10 footer.. this is all cause of the leverage of the rod and fulcrum points...btw rg I use to make wood rod handles till I became sensitized to the wood.. I still make rods but now I do foam.. I got some black foam laying around would that with a color accent work with your rod or do you prefer to make your own?  I could also glue up the foam so it would work for you so you can turn it or what ever you want.. lols just trying to help you out since you help us all....let me know if your interested in a rod handle?   

by the way those sili worms we use for tail on large stone fly patterns put a wobble glo in front and get it to wiggle like it has a tail lol's...

here is one of the grips I made out of foam I got one gluing up now if you want it ? it's yellow ,red and black? that's not turned yet...

this is one I made for a friend daughter...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2646 on: Feb 02, 2016, 02:36 AM »
I appreciate the offer Boone. I've decided to go with a full wells cork for all the reasons you described. I used to make all my cork handles, but in recent years I've been buying them from a supplier on eBay. This rod is for me so I'm going to do it up myself . Might even add a little bling to the mix.   ;D

Rg

boondox

« Reply #2647 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:33 AM »
I appreciate the offer Boone. I've decided to go with a full wells cork for all the reasons you described. I used to make all my cork handles, but in recent years I've been buying them from a supplier on eBay. This rod is for me so I'm going to do it up myself . Might even add a little bling to the mix.   ;D

Rg

fine by me rg  I will get a picture of the grip when finished... by the way bling? that means add pictures when done lols....   

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2648 on: Feb 02, 2016, 01:59 PM »
A little extra snazzy detail ;D

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #2649 on: Feb 04, 2016, 08:11 PM »
Watched the video. I'd say that some coloring and maybe a tandem rigged Siliworm would dart around like the real McCoy.

Rg

Delayed response. Family member took a header and I've been over to the hospital every night this week.

Siliworms are a good thought. I'll give them a  shot  when I free up. 

boondox

« Reply #2650 on: Feb 04, 2016, 09:28 PM »
Delayed response. Family member took a header and I've been over to the hospital every night this week.

Siliworms are a good thought. I'll give them a  shot  when I free up. 

our prayers go out to them..

Bartman44

« Reply #2651 on: Feb 05, 2016, 02:11 PM »

our prayers go out to them..

Thanks, No worries, just some broken ribs and a punctured lung, hope to have him back home this weekend. Then it's back to the vise because spring is coming quick.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2652 on: Feb 05, 2016, 02:27 PM »
Hope all is well.

Rg

boondox

« Reply #2653 on: Feb 07, 2016, 01:10 AM »
Hope all is well.

Rg

x2 hope all is well...

side note I will be building a podwer paint bubbler  flo cup or flid bed or  what ever they call it.. very soon the filter they use are coffee filter it easy to make made one a while ago but any way got some jigs 250 to be exact  I want to paint so hopeing to do it and throw the process up here ...might even do some marbeling of the epoxy type to...will see 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2654 on: Feb 07, 2016, 04:39 AM »
Fired mine up yesterday for a test run.

After trying about 20 different materials,including 10 kinds of coffee filters, I bought the cups from TJ Tackle for $4.50 each. No substitute membrane came close to the real deal. He also has a great supply of other accessories, paint etc. and shares a lot of application info.

I had a little trouble with the black paint clumping up, but others have told me that's common.

My $5.99 goodwill toaster oven worked like a charm. Total cost for the setup was around $75 with  paint, the cups, oven and heat gun. I already had an aquarium pump. It'll take a little practice, but I'll get it.

There were no fumes or odors that I could detect which already beast the heck out of vinyl jig paint. That stuff is nasty.
Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.