FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 627536 times)

oatkasut

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3045 on: Sep 28, 2016, 08:20 AM »
fished in the Catskills from 9/20-9/24, specifically the East Branch Delaware River, Beaverkill and the Willowemoc. The water was extremely low and a real challenge to catch a fish. Hatches were sparce and when they did happen they were short lived, maybe 20 minutes. Hatches occured around 7 AM and 5PM. best fishing was at 6:30-8AM and 5PM-6;30PM. water was low, slow and in the 60-64 deg. range at the Beaverkill and the Willow. The Eastbranch was always 50-53 with a low stredy flow. I sought out fast water, riffles, deeper pockets and places off the beaten path. The East branch produced fish 12-22 inches,browns, mostly on nymphs, isos or GBH pheasant tails . Did manage one on a whoolly bugger #8 tan, a 13 inch scrapper. The willow and the Beaverkill were next to impossible to catch fish, but I did manage 2 little guys, 4 and 7 inches in the Beaverkill on the GBH pheasent tail in turbulant pocket water off the beaten path. For the week only managed 8 trout but 6 of 8 were over 15 inches and put up good fights one lasting 7 minutes( I use a 4 wt. 8.5 ft. rod). All safely returned for next year. A first for me was catching 4 small mouth bass in the Beaverkill with the nymph, all about 6 inches. Tried ants, beetles and bumble bee getting hit on the ant and bee but no hook ups.  No rain while there and sunny days. One day of clouds was the best producing. I usually fish there in the May-June tiimeframe and catch more but it was nice to find empty streams and  food places. Leaves had not turned yet but should strat Oct.1.

devo

« Reply #3046 on: Sep 28, 2016, 10:26 AM »
Nice report Oatka,
Did you eat at the Rosco diner? Its one of my favorites.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3047 on: Sep 30, 2016, 11:47 AM »
I been getting some  pms  on what flies I been fishing for the  salmon  ...mostly the  basic  glo bugs and yarn flys  however  on days o want just a little weight to get a fly down I really like comets ...the bead chain  offers just enough weight to get it down ....you can dress the  fly anyway you want

this one...  number 4 hook ....gold bead chain eyes....marabou tail black dubbed body with SLF PRISM DUBBING MOXED IN   ....over tail and back krystal flash .....black hackle collar ..... been productive /\....fish it  dead or  like a wolly bugger

you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

oatkasut

« Reply #3048 on: Sep 30, 2016, 12:09 PM »
Devo, I don't eat there anymore; there are far better places especially the Robin Hood Diner in Livingston Manor, Courtyard Bar in Rockland and Grimaldi's Italian rest. in Roscoe. WAY BETTER FOOD! less expensive too!
Trap, that looks like a winner for big browns on the East Branch; I used one similar and got a scrappy 14 incher last week. The secret is getting the fly down to where the fish are feeding.

trapper2000

« Reply #3049 on: Sep 30, 2016, 12:17 PM »
I have taken browns  and steelies with it also, and  I agree get the fly down .....

Centerpindrew

• "In the FACEEE!!"
« Reply #3050 on: Sep 30, 2016, 12:24 PM »
I have been wanting to try tying tube flies for the awhile now. So I decided to pick up a tube fly vise/needle.  Here is my first Steelhead tube fly…

trapper2000

« Reply #3051 on: Sep 30, 2016, 12:31 PM »
man that looks down right sexy centerpin ...nice job!  ya know I been wondering if you could  make some great salt water flies  using tubes?  anyone ever  try??

kc

« Reply #3052 on: Sep 30, 2016, 01:08 PM »
I have been wanting to try tying tube flies for the awhile now. So I decided to pick up a tube fly vise/needle.  Here is my first Steelhead tube fly…

That fly will definitely not work. I will send you my address and you send that fly to me to be destroyed. Maybe you had better send me a dozen of them, because I know they won't work. ;) ;)

trapper2000

« Reply #3053 on: Sep 30, 2016, 01:12 PM »
That fly will definitely not work. I will send you my address and you send that fly to me to be destroyed. Maybe you had better send me a dozen of them, because I know they won't work. ;) ;)

:rotflol:

Centerpindrew

• "In the FACEEE!!"
« Reply #3054 on: Sep 30, 2016, 01:34 PM »

haha... thats funny!!!  ;D ;D ;D

trapper2000

« Reply #3055 on: Sep 30, 2016, 04:07 PM »
lots of people asking how I tie a glo bug with no waste and  the fastest way I know possiable

1  I use a  good egg hook  size  depends on  fish  steelie or salmon

2 I find a  bic pen or straw ...you can buy a  glo bug tube but why take the guts out of the pen.....take a strip of  globug yarn  here I  took pink and  dark pink for the blood eye

3  loop  some  20 pound  mono  and  slide it  down the  pen , put the  end  of the  yarn in the loop and  pull the mono back threw the  pen trim the  end of the  yarn leave  about half a  inch  hanging out

4. wrap  a solid base  of yarn on the hook  some  people   put a  little head  cement on this I  don't  bother ....place  the  pen to the  hook  the  yarn over the  hook  I  wrap it  tight  4  times  one  way then  4  the  other  like a  figure eight ...some  add a   dap  of  head  cement

5   now  pull  twice what  you need  out of the  pen and  cut the yarn in the middle  ...whip  finish  and  add a  dap of  head  cement

no trimming and  once  you  get use to this  you can  do  40  glo bugs  in  a hour  .....  there are  a lot  of  videos   on how to  do this  play around  till you  find what works  best  for you

St.Croix.Boy

• Just one more cast...
« Reply #3056 on: Oct 03, 2016, 02:52 PM »
lots of people asking how I tie a glo bug with no waste and  the fastest way I know possiable

1  I use a  good egg hook  size  depends on  fish  steelie or salmon

2 I find a  bic pen or straw ...you can buy a  glo bug tube but why take the guts out of the pen.....take a strip of  globug yarn  here I  took pink and  dark pink for the blood eye

3  loop  some  20 pound  mono  and  slide it  down the  pen , put the  end  of the  yarn in the loop and  pull the mono back threw the  pen trim the  end of the  yarn leave  about half a  inch  hanging out

4. wrap  a solid base  of yarn on the hook  some  people   put a  little head  cement on this I  don't  bother ....place  the  pen to the  hook  the  yarn over the  hook  I  wrap it  tight  4  times  one  way then  4  the  other  like a  figure eight ...some  add a   dap  of  head  cement

5   now  pull  twice what  you need  out of the  pen and  cut the yarn in the middle  ...whip  finish  and  add a  dap of  head  cement

no trimming and  once  you  get use to this  you can  do  40  glo bugs  in  a hour  .....  there are  a lot  of  videos   on how to  do this  play around  till you  find what works  best  for you

I modified a different type of tube to do this, but you're spot on: waste is virtually nonexistant, and once you get the rhythm and feel for it, everyting turns out fine.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Bartman44

« Reply #3057 on: Oct 03, 2016, 05:18 PM »
fished in the Catskills from 9/20-9/24, specifically the East Branch Delaware River, Beaverkill and the Willowemoc. The water was extremely low and a real challenge to catch a fish. Hatches were sparce and when they did happen they were short lived, maybe 20 minutes. Hatches occured around 7 AM and 5PM. best fishing was at 6:30-8AM and 5PM-6;30PM. water was low, slow and in the 60-64 deg. range at the Beaverkill and the Willow. The Eastbranch was always 50-53 with a low stredy flow. I sought out fast water, riffles, deeper pockets and places off the beaten path. The East branch produced fish 12-22 inches,browns, mostly on nymphs, isos or GBH pheasant tails . Did manage one on a whoolly bugger #8 tan, a 13 inch scrapper. The willow and the Beaverkill were next to impossible to catch fish, but I did manage 2 little guys, 4 and 7 inches in the Beaverkill on the GBH pheasent tail in turbulant pocket water off the beaten path. For the week only managed 8 trout but 6 of 8 were over 15 inches and put up good fights one lasting 7 minutes( I use a 4 wt. 8.5 ft. rod). All safely returned for next year. A first for me was catching 4 small mouth bass in the Beaverkill with the nymph, all about 6 inches. Tried ants, beetles and bumble bee getting hit on the ant and bee but no hook ups.  No rain while there and sunny days. One day of clouds was the best producing. I usually fish there in the May-June tiimeframe and catch more but it was nice to find empty streams and  food places. Leaves had not turned yet but should strat Oct.1.

Great report. Sounds like you got some nice ones. I get an occasional walleye out of the east Branch and I've caught a few bass at the Jaws.

Nice flies everyone.   

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #3058 on: Oct 04, 2016, 09:47 AM »
I always tie my eggs very sparse, and mix a few strands of clear poly (parachute cord core) in there.   They look translucent under water, and drift very nicely.   the poly gives it just a touch of sparkle.

I also have a system for colors.

pink w/ red dot during low light

oregon cheese w/ orange dot during most conditions

white w/ pink dot during bright sunny weather.

trapper2000

« Reply #3059 on: Oct 04, 2016, 11:47 AM »
I like the idea  of the  sparkle .....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.