FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 625470 times)

MattyP123

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3165 on: Mar 23, 2017, 08:21 AM »
Nice jigs perch. Thanks trap, Flagler's videos are top notch.

perchgypsy

« Reply #3166 on: Mar 23, 2017, 12:56 PM »
Ty Matty

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3167 on: Mar 23, 2017, 02:38 PM »
Nice jigs perch. Thanks trap, Flagler's videos are top notch.

it's a great pattern and easy to tie have had good luck with  green (I mix sulpher and olive to match locals) and  a  tan color
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

MattyP123

« Reply #3168 on: Mar 23, 2017, 05:09 PM »
Sorry for another rock picture but

Midges?

perchgypsy

« Reply #3169 on: Mar 23, 2017, 06:57 PM »
I'd say browns and olives all day on that rock,don't be sorry for pics ,the real deal gives many ideas
one of the best pics on this thread 👍

boondox

« Reply #3170 on: Mar 23, 2017, 07:19 PM »
I get a pattern up in a few of what I would use.. but they almost look like chimerra caddis or little black sege caddis?? Only thing different is the color?

http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/2947/Caddisfly-Chimarra-Little-Black-Sedges

I got good pattens for chimera to try out!

#1)one is a  caddis larva I would use 6/0 yellow thread for the body use a brown magic marker to chage color go wild here  use dots of olive and brown markers till they sub fuse before you tie in the peacock hear all on a tmc 2457 size 14 or better yet would be sizes 16/18 . Rib fine silver single strand wire..

#2) is a cdc caddis is basically a elk hair style tie but you use cdc natural gray cdc instead of the elk hair and for hackle I used dun gray hackle on a adams dubbing on size 16/18 hook  tmc 2457's those are chimara at their best

I fish the cdc caddis down and across the current and give it a tug so it dives as soon as it hits the inner seem. Of the current .. caddis larVA I drift as if it was a nymph with a few split shots .. about a foot or two avove it.. and swing it to the seem..

MattyP123

« Reply #3171 on: Mar 23, 2017, 08:05 PM »
Thanks perch. That was my second guess boondox, not many 14's there though. 16's down to break out the hubble telescope small. Don't have any light thread left but did up some size 20's with the tightest and thinnest noddle I could muster of dark gold dubbing ribbed with the tag of dark brown 8/0. Gonna get some new thread and do a better job of it soon

boondox

« Reply #3172 on: Mar 23, 2017, 08:48 PM »
Thanks perch. That was my second guess boondox, not many 14's there though. 16's down to break out the hubble telescope small. Don't have any light thread left but did up some size 20's with the tightest and thinnest noddle I could muster of dark gold dubbing ribbed with the tag of dark brown 8/0. Gonna get some new thread and do a better job of it soon

Just use thread no dubbin just a tip .. see if you can match that dark gold dubbing to thread then just use brown thread rib.. if going down to 20's I bet you could do a 22 or 24 with just 8/0 thread if you do order more thread maybe white trico thread 17/0 and hit it with a marker to colored it green or gold etc..?  Then rib it with 8/0  brown thread and use single strand of hearl for the head/legs  that just suggestions best I can come up with right now.. 

MattyP123

« Reply #3173 on: Mar 23, 2017, 09:34 PM »
Just use thread no dubbin just a tip .. see if you can match that dark gold dubbing to thread then just use brown thread rib.. if going down to 20's I bet you could do a 22 or 24 with just 8/0 thread if you do order more thread maybe white trico thread 17/0 and hit it with a marker to colored it green or gold etc..?  Then rib it with 8/0  brown thread and use single strand of hearl for the head/legs  that just suggestions best I can come up with right now.. 
Thanks boondox, I would much rather use thread and not dubbing on these. I have a light olive but wasn't happy with it. Getting some thread to match this soon.

trapper2000

« Reply #3174 on: Mar 24, 2017, 06:48 AM »
matty I'm not 100% sure cause my  eyes aren't what they use to be but I think those are black fly larvae ...i  could be  wrong

small scud patterns   color  to match  would  work  either way

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #3175 on: Mar 24, 2017, 11:09 AM »
matty I'm not 100% sure cause my  eyes aren't what they use to be but I think those are black fly larvae ...i  could be  wrong

small scud patterns   color  to match  would  work  either way
YOUR eyes are working,and still tying,and fishing,what more can we hope for??
love the rock photo
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

trapper2000

« Reply #3176 on: Mar 25, 2017, 10:11 AM »
I'm working on one of my all time favorite  flies ....the muddler minnow ....  doing some  in natural and yellow ....simply one of the  best  flies ever tied

SPN

« Reply #3177 on: Mar 26, 2017, 06:48 PM »
My first two attempts at some Tarpon flies.....I ordered some more stuff!!!

Kids Who  Grow up Fishing Hunting and Trapping won't rob little old ladies!!

trapper2000

« Reply #3178 on: Mar 26, 2017, 07:45 PM »
spn that's nice work

SPN

« Reply #3179 on: Mar 27, 2017, 05:10 PM »
Thanks Trapper!  I don't have a lot of larger materials......so i did some shopping!  Even had the Mrs SPN on amazon loading up the cart!!  I am going to Key West in May and have a fly-fishing charter booked for on day.....Gonna be a blast!!!
Kids Who  Grow up Fishing Hunting and Trapping won't rob little old ladies!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.