FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cross Lake/ Seneca River Thread  (Read 42663 times)

Jrock

Re: Cross Lake/ Seneca River Thread
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2011, 06:54 PM »
i have trolled the seneca for eyes many times, as a matter of fact,many years ago i went with one of my friends in his boat to cross lake fishing, we then started to troll past one of the bridges just out of the lake, i was doing some experimenting with wire line when i hooked a 22 inch eye just past the bridge. that was it,after that i was hooked on the eyes.

Back in the day before i had a boat i used to climb a rope down that steep bank to get to them.  It was worth it.  Cant beat a perch colored wally diver in that spot.

fishbear

« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2011, 07:24 PM »
Back in the day before i had a boat i used to climb a rope down that steep bank to get to them.  It was worth it.  Cant beat a perch colored wally diver in that spot.
You know, that rope is still there :o. Either that or someone hung up a new one....Well, lets hope its the latter, or someone could get hurt! :'(
"My God, its full of Fish!"

fishbear

« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2011, 03:09 PM »
does higher seneca river count? such as the outlet from seneca lake? i love fishing the canal searching for northerns, when the chop on the lakes is too much for my little boat.

in regards to previous posts though, there really arent any northerns in there  ;D
Sure, why not the upper Seneca too. We can all learn from techniques fishermen use on different parts of the river. Are there Pickerel in the upper Seneca? I know they are in the Seneca near Onondaga Lake and there are tons in Oneida Lake, so I've always wondered why they aren't in Cross Lake and the Seneca near Cross Lake. A Onondaga County Fisheries Biologist I once talked with told me it was amazing how much fish move around and that they had found fish they tagged in Oneida Lake later in Cross Lake and vice versa.

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2011, 03:17 PM »
Never thought about the bullhead fishing.  I'm gonna give it try on cross lake this year.

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2011, 03:19 PM »
cross lake is full of big cat fish also ;D

fishbear

« Reply #20 on: Mar 14, 2011, 04:41 PM »
cross lake is full of big cat fish also ;D
Yeah, there's almost too many Catfish in Cross Lake- like people say there's too many Pickerel in Oneida. My wife says I'm a snob cause I'm disappointed when I catch a Catfish when I'm fishing for Bass- but the problem is I hook what I think is a 10 pound Bass and up comes a 14" Catfish :o They do fight really hard. They do seem to be better eating than the ones I used to catch from Oneida Lake- they seem to have less fat. If we can figure out how to take half the Pickerel in Oneida Lake and put them in Cross Lake and half the Catfish in Cross Lake and put them in Oneida, it could balance out the fishing pretty good ;D

Gamma Fish

« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2011, 06:14 PM »
Trying to start an active thread for Cross Lake and the Seneca River. I know there is a "Cross/Cayuga" thread, but it gets posted on rarely(last post Nov 15, and few posts even when it is "active"). I have a camp in the Jack's Reef area and know there is good fishing for bullheads in the river. One of my neighbors told me they used to fish in the Oswego River for bullheads until they discovered the bullhead fishing was better in the Seneca River-this should be starting soon. I've caught practically every panfish that exists in New York right off my dock, but have yet to catch a legal crappie, probably because I haven't been fishing for them at the right time of year. Hope that changes this year because I should have more time to fish during the peak season.  Fishing has been good for bass- mostly Smallmouth but a few Largemouth. For people who like to fish for Channel Catfish, this is the place. They seem to be everywhere in the Lake and River and hit everthing from worms and liver to stickbaits. Some are really big- I've lost rods that disappeared off my dock when I put them down for a second! Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to provide some updated reports.
If you even want some company........I like catching Kitties !!! ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D
Plastics are Fantastic !

esox v

« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2011, 06:17 PM »
If you even want some company........I like catching Kitties !!! ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D
HOLY CRAP !! Everyones back here now... How you been T ?? Ready for soft water??
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

Gamma Fish

« Reply #23 on: Mar 14, 2011, 06:20 PM »
HOLY CRAP !! Everyones back here now... How you been T ?? Ready for soft water??
As ready as ever !    Doing good !     Barely an issue with the back and leg right now so it's full steam ahead !
   Before we get too deep into fishing this spring, we need to organize a chow down / meet & greet  ;D ;D
Who's in ?
Plastics are Fantastic !

esox v

« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2011, 06:30 PM »
As ready as ever !    Doing good !     Barely an issue with the back and leg right now so it's full steam ahead !
   Before we get too deep into fishing this spring, we need to organize a chow down / meet & greet  ;D ;D
Who's in ?
 I AM !! Hopefully it doesn't get hijacked and then blown up.. by CARPY and the WEE MAN.. Or... STIFFLER One and TWO...As we call like to them from the first meet and greet !!

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #25 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:10 PM »
Watch out GOONS We'll take it Over! :P :P :P ;D
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #26 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:11 PM »
 I AM !! Hopefully it doesn't get hijacked and then blown up.. by CARPY and the WEE MAN.. Or... STIFFLER One and TWO...As we call like to them from the first meet and greet !!
Oh Yeah??? Where was everybody for the Crappie Fish-off! lsat year!???????????!!!!!!!
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

esox v

« Reply #27 on: Mar 14, 2011, 07:35 PM »
Oh Yeah??? Where was everybody for the Crappie Fish-off! lsat year!???????????!!!!!!!
Hey.... I didn't say I was coming to that and then STIFF .. So simmer down BEAVIS and don't make me half to take out my pimp hand !!

MeatHunter737

• GutPileStyle
« Reply #28 on: Mar 14, 2011, 10:09 PM »
I've only lived in Cayuga County for 10 years now.... and the river is its highest I've seen it at Devaneys in Weedsport, right even with the top of the break wall...  :o

esox v

« Reply #29 on: Mar 14, 2011, 10:44 PM »
I've only lived in Cayuga County for 10 years now.... and the river is its highest I've seen it at Devaneys in Weedsport, right even with the top of the break wall...  :o
Yea... It's up there by me.. I have seen it higher. A bunch of rain would not be good right now..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.