FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Herring are in  (Read 21448 times)

loustru

Herring are in
« on: May 01, 2011, 07:05 PM »
 :D  What a difference a break in the weather and having the right bait can make fishing for holdover trout in one of north Jersey's fine resevoirs.  Went out  today with herring for the first time and came back with 3 browns between 3 and 6 lbs, 3 smallies and one large perch. The weather was great with a mild wind. We had the deep water all to ourselves. Lou.

ratso

Re: Herring are in
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:00 AM »
Way to go Lou. Expensive bait and fantastic results. :o

fishthefalls123

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:34 AM »
thats awesome getting some big trout on the herring. i personally never did well with herring anywere else but greenwood lake for bass.

dmntd169

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 04:58 PM »
nice to know they are available...hate paying for them but its nice to know in case the fish don't want artificials
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

da-phish

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 05:10 PM »
:D  What a difference a break in the weather and having the right bait can make fishing for holdover trout in one of north Jersey's fine resevoirs.  Went out  today with herring for the first time and came back with 3 browns between 3 and 6 lbs, 3 smallies and one large perch. The weather was great with a mild wind. We had the deep water all to ourselves. Lou.

Which bait shop had the bait and how much this year? Ny price @Pepacton was 11.00 a dz.  Herring do make the  difference for sure, were you on a watershed property? How deep were you fishing? I know,lots of questions,pm me if you want.I fish alot of the  the NY waterdheds for browns/lakers.Would be cool to share info,Phish.

loustru

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 08:51 PM »
Franks in Wanaque has had herring since wed. or thurs. They're probably from Hopatcong so i'm sure other bait stores have em also.da-phish  Pm me for more details. Lou.

ratso

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 09:25 AM »
>>>===>Franks in Wanaque has had herring since Wed. or Thurs.

Now the puzzle begins to take shape. HMMMMMMMMM????? Way-Way is a possible, there are some big-un's in there. Monkesville is out unless your the Puzzle-Master and have figured out the mystery of skunks-ville. Aero-Flex is a prime location, but I don't know anyone who has take that quality and quantity out of there.

Must be NY watersheds, I have no knowledge of them but the bits and pieces that float to the top like the giant bass that cork-off in our NJ lakes from old age.

Again, Con-Grats, remember it well, that trip / day will be a life long memory. ;)

fishthefalls123

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 10:52 AM »
how much are they selling herrings for at franks? all the times i have gone there all they had was fatheads and all sizes of shiners

loustru

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 12:40 PM »
Two and a half dozen cost me 21.90 with tax, 8 dollars a doz. As long as they are available Frank's usually stocks them.

da-phish

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 03:48 PM »
>>>===>Franks in Wanaque has had herring since Wed. or Thurs.

Now the puzzle begins to take shape. HMMMMMMMMM????? Way-Way is a possible, there are some big-un's in there. Monkesville is out unless your the Puzzle-Master and have figured out the mystery of skunks-ville. Aero-Flex is a prime location, but I don't know anyone who has take that quality and quantity out of there.

Must be NY watersheds, I have no knowledge of them but the bits and pieces that float to the top like the giant bass that cork-off in our NJ lakes from old age.

Again, Con-Grats, remember it well, that trip / day will be a life long memory. ;)
Not sure by what you meant in your second paragrapgh , starting w/Must be NY Watersheds,????

Robbieq16

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 08:18 PM »
nice report loustru sounds like u had a great day out there

bigfish

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 06:44 AM »
the walleye like herring also caught some to 5 lbs. on sunday at the ville. just have to find them suspended this time of the year......

loustru

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 03:23 PM »
 ;)  Hey Robbie16, how's the casting and blasting?

loustru

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 06:44 PM »
 8) 8)  Went over to Shepherd lk. afterwork today with some bait and the boat and managed 1 holdover brown 16 inches about 2 lbs. I was dissapointed to see about 6 commorants doing damage to the fish population. I've been seeing alot of them this year. Lou.

bigfish

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 08:04 PM »
Fishing on Monksville today. Wind  not as strong as monday but still hard to hold anchor. marking some fish in 85 feet just off the bottom think they are (lake trout) will have to try next time out if there is no wind.... I caught one walleye on monday  21" . saw one musky caught in the am and one caught around 2:30 from the boat ramp. north side.after no luck fishing the  weed line with herring. tired of fighting the wind so we tucked into a cove and fished herring between 30 and 44 ft. my buddy caught 2 nice small mouth bass 3 lbs. and a nice 4 lb.  not to be out done i got a hit on a large herring and was rewarded with a nice 7.lb walleye  28" lomg and 14 " girth.... greenwood lake sport's just got a fresh delivery of herring today go get mmmmm..........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.