FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: One salmon rig for Lake Ontario...  (Read 133767 times)

TheDL

One salmon rig for Lake Ontario...
« on: Jun 13, 2011, 07:38 PM »
I've never salmon fished in my life, and I have an opportunity to head out on the big lake O this summer to try for some salmon around Main Duck island with a buddy.  I picked up a 8'6" med-heavy rod and penn line counter level wind reel. I got it spooled up with 20lb berkley big game, and now I'm lost.  I don't think we've got down-riggers so I might pick up a dipsy or a jet-diver?  I've read about flasher/dodgers, plugs and spoons, sewing bait?  I'm not going to blow the wallet out on the first trip, so I'm wondering for mid-june-july what's your 1st pick for technique/lure combination for salmon in Lake Ontario?  ???
tight lines....

TheDL

Re: One salmon rig for Lake Ontario...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2011, 03:28 PM »
109 views and no tips?  come on guys, throw me a bone here  ???

Looks like we'll be going mid-july, over night trip to main duck island on Lake O.  We will not have down riggers, so I'm going to get either a dipsy or a jet diver to control depth. 

what bait/lures are good for that area/time of year?  ???
tight lines....

spcantwell

• Salmon Egg Studios
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:48 PM »
look at using some 8" echip green/glow flashers or green/glow spin doctors and use some A-tomik flies tied behind them.   monkey puke. green glow, green krinkle, etc...  biggest thing is finding the temp and getting your spread down into it.

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 04:38 PM »
downriggers would be your best bet! but a leadcore would work or a copper line. leadcore is going to be your cheapist way of getting down to them. with a dispy diver you will need a special rod with wire line.

Rickl1968

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:16 PM »
Hey DL

I found a few videos on how to rig Dipsy Divers, hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCYmtIXLsWM

ReelSilver

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 10:47 PM »
 :w00t: :blink: Wow, you could not ask a more wide open question, LOL.  First, almost every year the fish like something different.  last year the hammer fly was hot.  2 years ago the Pro-Am fly was hot.  Along with 1,500 spoons, the 300 plus flashers, j-plugs and on and on that I own, and you can mix flasher and fly colors to make a million combos...   You should call a local sport shop or shops for the latest info and hot lure colors.  I'll mention a few but everyone has there favorites.  But remember, speed and temp are everything when trolling for salmon.
Chart. Chip/hammer fly
white chip/glow hammer or hammer
green chip/green crinkle fly
White spin doctor green dot/glow hammer or ultra glow green fly

Thanks
Capt. Dave

TheDL

« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2012, 08:29 AM »
Wow, it took a year to get this thread happaning.  I'm happy to say I've learned a lot in the last year fishing with some guys on this site (Bass_Belt, Laker 2011).  We've experimented on the big lake with mixed success this spring using in-line planars, dipsy divers, lead core, wire line and down riggers. 

I'd say downriggers (especially with a fish-hawk) are the way to go!  No salmon for us yet, but plenty of browns and lakers.  I think it'll be a few weeks before the salmon make it this far east (picton/kingston area).

Thanks for the tips guys - keep 'em coming!
tight lines....

HowesVerona

« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2012, 10:23 AM »
DL- Does Don Cherry still have his sports bar in Kingston? I'll be there next week and if the Kings do not sweep the Devils, I'd like to take in a game there. I was there once maybe 12 years ago. Not sure if you like hockey or not.
"All fishermen are liars; it's an occupational disease with them like housemaid's knee or editor's ulcers."

TheDL

« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2012, 12:14 PM »
nope, no don cherry's in kingston.  Of course I like hockey, I'm Canadian.  Fanatics on Princess St is fairly sports-oriented, foods not bad either.  You might be over-run with college kids, but I think school's out, so it might not be that bad.
tight lines....

HowesVerona

« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2012, 01:19 PM »
What!?!? How the HE double hockey sticks can they close down Don's? He is a living legend from the Kingston area. Pretty upsetting. Go Kings Go!
"All fishermen are liars; it's an occupational disease with them like housemaid's knee or editor's ulcers."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.