FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boat Registration Delemma  (Read 4574 times)

Blackduckin

Re: Boat Registration Delemma
« Reply #15 on: Jul 01, 2011, 09:36 PM »
Adam ,

I just went through this today at 345pm. I went in with a bill of sale the serial numbers and hull numbers etc. The boat is 54 years old and a serial number of 5. The hull numbers were on 4 digits  instead of 5 like nowadays. The clerk just couldn't get it into her head that maybe 54 years ago they were only four digits long  not 5  (fewer boats back then0. So I had two problems. first the computer would except my singal digit serial number of 5  and two they couldn't track a four digit hull registration number that was 54 years old and not registered in over twenty five years. So within a hour the town clerk faxed the request for boat serial number form to the state they issued me a new registration number and a new serial number. It all went slick as snot and didn't take but about 45 minutes once we decided to go that route.

What I didn't like was I really liked having a serial number of 5 and its still engraved on the little plate that is welded to the stern. And I wanted to keep the same registrant numbers because they are painted one the aluminum hull an look great for being 5 years old. Now I have to sand or use paint stripper to get old numbers off and buy new ones or paint new ones on. I have to now make a new Vin number serial number plate and install it over the original one. Seem half ass backwards to me. But hey that's government for you..

So in short tell them its a Sears Elgin or a stargraft and file for a request for boat serial number form and your town clerk can do the rest as you wait across the street in a bar having a few cold ones.  Good luck, Ed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.