FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: Time for the river, ice turned to crap !!!!  (Read 2804 times)

wileyc3

• Here fishy fishy fishy...
Time for the river, ice turned to crap !!!!
« on: Feb 08, 2012, 02:12 PM »
How many of ya are thinking the same as me?

wileyc3

Re: Time for the river, ice turned to crap !!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2012, 07:08 PM »
never have hit them much, waitin for 40s to start throwin grubs for smallies then the jerkbait bite for the win!!!! I actually pick up some walleyes  in that time frame, but never target them......stilll fun though, lol :w00t:
                                                                                                                      Wiley (Greg)

300_wsm

« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2012, 01:34 PM »
hey wiley they are biting now i was out yesterday evening and caught 5. not sure where your located but the west branch is looking good right now.

wileyc3

« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2012, 02:26 PM »
I'm in pennsdale. I usually run from montomery up to the dam at williamsport and down at norry some (not like i used to though). been debating on wether to run and try to find safe ice or get the boat out this saturday. Think you just might have made up my mind, lol. If ya wanna come along ..pm me.

bassbait

• KICKIN SOME BASS
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2012, 01:42 AM »
300, u been back out since the day you got 5? river looks good in willilamsport.  brewcrew IS.

gairz

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2012, 09:58 PM »
I'm hitting the Allegany here in NC PA as soon as the water warms a touch. 
I didn't get a chance to fish the ice this winter.  I'm in need of some wally filets.  8)

Any tips for me river fishing this early would be helpful.  :tipup:
I never have fished this early.  Normally the river is still iced over. 
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline.  It helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the VERY least you need a beer."  ~  Frank Zappa

wileyc3

« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2012, 02:05 PM »
Well I only ever catch walleyes by accident fishin for bass.....usually on grubs or jerkbaits, dont throw live bait on the river for some reason, allways been artificial. Maybee one of the guys that fish for them can help ya out better but thats just my 2 cents  :)

dmntd169

« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2012, 06:04 PM »
If you know where on the river they like to spawn thats where I'd head. They are still in pre-spawn mode but stacked close to where they'll be spawning so look for areas with deeper water that drops off into sand/ gravel and you'll likely be able to put a hurting on them.

as to rigs, my go to is still just a lead jighead tipped with a twister tail and/ or a shiner/ chub or piece of nightcrawler during the day. After dark I head to the shallows with deeper dropoffs near by and throw stickbaits after everyone else has gone home since walleyes don't hit after dark  :cookoo: :cookoo:   guess if all I owned for eyes was jigs I'd say they don't hit after dark either since they are usually right under the surface feeding after dark  ;)
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

gundogwanted

« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2012, 07:02 AM »
Correct on the lead heads, just tied up about 150 or so bucktails over here in Afghan during down time. Leaving out of here tomorrow, save me some fish..........
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

300_wsm

« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2012, 04:47 PM »
yeah ive been out a few times caugt a ton of fish got a 5 lber friday probably had 21 lbs in our 5 best smallies between me and my fishing partner

wileyc3

« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2012, 07:02 AM »
Man must be nice till i get outta work and the wife gets home to watch the kids its 6 o'clock and the weekends have been friggen windy as nuts on the river up here. They smakin jerks yet or mostly tubes and grubs?

bassbait

• KICKIN SOME BASS
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2012, 11:32 PM »
tubes here in the williamsport area, with the sunny and warm days coming, the jerkbait bite should be close.  hoping the river drops a few feet the next couple days.

wileyc3

« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2012, 06:42 AM »
I pretty much have it set that im goin out sat late mornin, put in at muncy and run up to the dam and fish back, figure i'll dress for ice fishin to make the run, lol, midas well use my new ice armor didnt get to use it much this winter :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.