FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Striper set up  (Read 2319 times)

PSC13

Striper set up
« on: Mar 07, 2012, 10:25 AM »
Im looking to get a striper rod and reel set up.  I like spinning reels so i was wondering what some of you guys have or if you can point me in the right direction on what to get.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Striper set up
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2012, 11:16 AM »
will you be primarily fishing from shore or a boat?   Most people use herring, I would assume you will too?

From shore, You would want a longer rod (for casting distance), something at least 7 or 8 feet long, and that can handle 1-3 oz of weight at the very least.    Your going to want a reel that can handle at least 200 yards of 20lb monofilament, preferably a baitrunner reel.

From a boat, I  use a 7' Ugly Stick MH casting rod with a casting reel (abu garcia 6500) and 20lb big game.

bassinbrian

• In search of Lunkers !
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2012, 11:33 AM »
Pretty much exactly what bigred said  ... it will vary a little from one guy to another.

I'm mainly fish from boat  ... 7' heavy rod, 6000 series bait runner, 25lb mono, egg or slide sinker set up with big circle hook ... and a nice lively herring  ;D

Longer rod from shore helps the casting, some people prefer braid, or heavier mono, or J-hooks etc ...

Riverbasin Sports (Catskill) sells some decent combo's and the owners will be 110% honest and upfront with you as far as tackle needed and help.

BB

Bring on the Stripers !!!

Youngblood

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2012, 08:19 PM »
I am with bassinbrian Shimano Baitrunner is hard to beat great for casting or live lining live bait.

RussianBear

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:01 PM »
Dont own a boat, so all my salt water fishing is done from shore, usually a beach. I have two 12 foot tsunami H poles that do a good job casting 3oz sinker with good size piece of bunker.

RussianBear

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:04 PM »
I am with bassinbrian Shimano Baitrunner is hard to beat great for casting or live lining live bait.

They are considered great reels, a friend has one and its awesome.
I purchased okuma baitrunner last season and honestly have nothing negative to say.

Rick James

« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2012, 01:24 PM »
I've got a couple of the Okuma baitrunner reels and they have served me very well now for 3 seasons.  If you can afford it, the Shimano's are nicer and will likely cause less line twist......they can also be serviced by most  if you ever need it.  I just don't do enough striper fishing to justify them......I only go maybe 3-4 times a year.

bigredfishing

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2012, 02:24 PM »
I have two silstar baitrunners that have worked great for me for the last decade.

soulstream

« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2012, 06:51 PM »
I had a baitrunner for a long time. Great reel, a little heavy. I got a Penn Liveliner 2 years ago, also a nice reel, and pretty light. I prefer a 7' spinning rod for the boat too. Can't wait to get out there!!!

Reel Force

« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2012, 09:34 PM »
I have fished for over 8 years for Stripers with a Shimano 2500 - yup 2500, over 20 years old ! I drift mostly and have a bow mount trolling motor to chase after them. This will be my third season with a new Penn Liveliner 6000 series - love them both. I run it with 50lb. Power Pro, sinker slider, swivel, and a Seaguar 30lb. fluorocarbon leader. Set on a 7ft. med. heavy Ugly Stick.

salmon stalker

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:42 AM »
What is your price range? If you are soley fishing the surf, I would look into a high quality reel that is fully sealed and will last a life time, VanStall would be one of them. Yes, they are pricey but can last a life time, litteraly. I would look at the VS 150, run 20# main line. If that is not in your price range, Shimano Stradic is a great choice, next price range down without losing on quality you can check out Okuma Cedros which is a steller reel for the money.

Try working 12" double rigged slugos, hogy's or stripa candy at night in the surf, you might be surprised how they out fish chunk or live bait more often than not. 

My 2 cents

Good luck
The outdoors, a real man's playground!!!!!!

bigredfishing

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2012, 10:09 AM »

Try working 12" double rigged slugos, hogy's or stripa candy at night in the surf, you might be surprised how they out fish chunk or live bait more often than not.  

In the salt, the absolutely works great.   Even better are zoom flukes on light jig heads.  

However, the fish behave a little differently when they are running up freshwater rivers to spawn.  The popular techniques in our area are Herring; live or chunk, trolling stickbaits, and sea worms on the bottom in the more downriver areas.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.