FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Senko rod  (Read 15413 times)

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Senko rod
« on: Jun 16, 2012, 09:44 PM »
Senkos, Yum Dingers, Dipstick Worms, whatever you call them... What do you guys use for a rod?

I'm thinking something in the 7' range spinning rod, M-MH power, fast taper. I suppose I would stick a Shimano Stradic ST3000FJ on it with 20lb braid.

What are you guys using for this? I do a fair amount of fishing bass in swampy backwaters where few boats dare to venture so my hooksets need to be violent and I must quickly gain control or I loose too many fish in the slop. Huge lilly pad root systems are in the mix and these fish love to dig into them when hooked.

So.... Im looking for a senko rod that is heavy enough to rip fish out of cover, but still light enough to cast the things accurately and feel what I'm doing.

Your thoughts?

jtk2

Re: Senko rod
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2012, 07:03 PM »
I use a med fast for wacky rigging. I love the sensitivity. Its a st. Croix legend tournament. Awesome rod. It would be way to light in my opinion for slop. I use it on edges and open water. I would say you would want at least a med./heavy if your trying to pull fish out of cover if not a heavy. I actually ordered a 7ft medheavy fast rod today. Hopefully be here next week some time. I can post back how it casts senkos when i get it.
id rather catch nothing by myself than alot in a crowd.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2012, 08:19 PM »
Yeah! Post back on a review!

I'm trying to avoid paying another $200+ for a rod that isn't quite right for what I want it for!

I am using a 6' Fenwick HMG MH spinning rod right now. The power is about right, but it's about a foot to short and I think a softer tip would aid in longer casts and less beat up baits.

I think I have the line and reel figured out though... 20lb braid with a 6' 15lb hard fluro leader on a Shimano 3000 series reel. I'm using a symetry, but I think I will put a stradic MgFB on the new rod. I have a feeling the mileage is gonna pile up fast on this setup!

jtk2

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2012, 08:38 PM »
I have a stadic 2000 or 2500 cant remember. They are awesome reels. I used it for everything until i bought and figured out baitcasters. I now use 3 different curados. I love them. 20lb line should be good. And yes i would agree with you that 6 ft. Is to short. The one i have is 6'8" and that could use a couple extra inches. The one i ordered is 7'1" and should be just right for many different applications. St. Croix says its thier spinnerbait and jig rod. But im pretty sure ill be able to throw some plastics with it quite nicely.

Goatskin

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2012, 08:43 PM »
If your fishing heavy cover like you described I wouldd stick with a 7'-7'6" heavy rod. If I'm picturing what your describing right I would also use a baitcaster with alot of drag and alot of power with a flipping stick. You want to rip the fish out of the cover as fast as you can and not give them a chance to turn. When Im fishing heavy slop I rip the bass out and they pretty much surf across the top of the water Im pulling them so hard. A medium or medium-heavy will not give you the power to turn a big girl back from cover like a heavy or xtra-heavy will. I also use 65 lb power pro braid when fishing the junk.

jtk2

« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2012, 09:38 PM »
My frog rod is a heavy fast with 50lb briad. There no sensitivity in it. It didnt sound like he wanted that. The rod im getting is described as:

TBC71MHF / SPINNER BAIT & JIG-N-WORM
A super rod for searching open water with big spinnerbaits. It’s also ideal for jigs, worms and working heavy cover.
Right off the st. Croix page.
Thats why i thought it may work for his application.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2012, 09:42 PM »
No way am I dealing with a bait caster and weightless senkos! ;D

I realize that some fish will get away with this setup... I really like the feel of spinning gear for senkos though. I have the pool cue with a winch for scum frogs and a MOJO bass rod for bullet weighted texas rigs the like. There is a point that I may just use those setups, but I want to really find the sweet spot in a rod for the bulk of the somewhat reasonable terrain. Weightless senkos wacky and weightless texas style are right at that point where casting reels become a pain for me. There also seems to be a need for a rod with very good feel because the strikes are often very light or they just suck it up and hold it.

fontona19

« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2012, 09:57 PM »
In my opinion mono is a must for senkos. First, it keeps the line on the surface so you can really see hits as it falls. Second it helps the senko sink nice and slow, which I think is key to fishing senkos. I fish them slower than most folks I have seen use them, and I cant tell you how many hits that I have gotten after its been sitting for close to a minute.

As far as a rod, I would use at least a 7' mh. Its nice to be able to pick the rod tip up to move the senko when fishing in tight cover, as opposed to having to reel in any line.

Spinning reels have my vote too. I know that all these "serious" bass fishermen think baitcasters are where its at, but I have survived all these years without one. I have never lost a fish, and said "if I had a baitcaster, I would have landed that one".  ;)

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2012, 10:14 PM »
Yeah, I have plenty of baitcasters myself. They are really good for what they are good for.... ;D I will give the mono a shot and omit the fluro leader to see how I like it. I use Spiderwire Stealth for braid, and that floats like a cork. I use the hard fluro leader not only for visibility, but to get a nice level sink rate. I'm thinking that high vis line may help too as long as I use a leader. I like the braid because of the rock solid hooksets, sensitivity, and it's ability to slice through weeds like a cheese cutter. I'm always open to new things though

I do know for sure one thing.... These plastic worms are DEADLY. I never thought these plain looking plastic sticks could be the secret weapon when the sun is high or the bite is slow!! It is rare when a bait or tactic really wows me... these have my attention!

Goatskin

« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2012, 10:17 PM »
No way am I dealing with a bait caster and weightless senkos! ;D
I realize that some fish will get away with this setup... I really like the feel of spinning gear for senkos though. I have the pool cue with a winch for scum frogs and a MOJO bass rod for bullet weighted texas rigs the like. There is a point that I may just use those setups, but I want to really find the sweet spot in a rod for the bulk of the somewhat reasonable terrain. Weightless senkos wacky and weightless texas style are right at that point where casting reels become a pain for me. There also seems to be a need for a rod with very good feel because the strikes are often very light or they just suck it up and hold it.
Thats my bad I didn't understand what you needed. When I think of heavy cover and slop I think of the back bays on the St. Lawrence and Champlain that have mats so thick it is literally impossible to get anything through them. The only way to fish these mats is find the wide open holes and I usually use weightless tubes and senkos for this because honestly they work really well. If your fishing more open areas and edges near heavy cover you dont need a flipping stick. Sorry about that.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2012, 10:27 PM »
My latest problem has been lilly pad roots... They are floating up all over the place. None on my lakes have the milfoil or thick sloppy stuff. Grass is the worst of it, and grass is never impossible to fish.

fontona19

« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2012, 11:20 PM »
Yeah, I have plenty of baitcasters myself. They are really good for what they are good for.... ;D I will give the mono a shot and omit the fluro leader to see how I like it. I use Spiderwire Stealth for braid, and that floats like a cork. I use the hard fluro leader not only for visibility, but to get a nice level sink rate. I'm thinking that high vis line may help too as long as I use a leader. I like the braid because of the rock solid hooksets, sensitivity, and it's ability to slice through weeds like a cheese cutter. I'm always open to new things though

I do know for sure one thing.... These plastic worms are DEADLY. I never thought these plain looking plastic sticks could be the secret weapon when the sun is high or the bite is slow!! It is rare when a bait or tactic really wows me... these have my attention!

I couldn't agree more man. They really are a fantastic bait. The great part is, you almost cant fish them wrong. I use them alot when bringing young/unskilled folks out on the boat. They also have produced some of my biggest bass.

jtk2

« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2012, 06:11 PM »
So i just got news that rod i want is backordered for a month.  :'(  i even called st. Croix and he confirmed that they are making more and they wont be ready till july 20th. I was also told tHey redesigned the legend elite series and the guy on the phone sounded really excited about them. They're unveiling at icast next month so keep an eye out for icast reports. If i could afford one of those id be a bit more excited.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 20, 2012, 06:52 PM »
After my fiasco with St. Croix and the broken rod followed with a warranty rod with messed up guides, and half a walleye season without a rod now, I doubt I will be spending much money with them in the near future. I'm gonna have to call them from work tomorrow because they ain't returning my emails now.

It is starting to look like this rod is gonna be the winner...

Lamiglass XL704s

I've always wanted to try Lamiglass, some guys swear by them. The price is about right for an experiment too. I've never seen them in there, but Lamiglass has Scheels Sports in St. Cloud MN listed as a retailer. I will have to stop in and see if they can hook me up.

jtk2

« Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 2012, 07:02 PM »
I completely understand where your coming from. The guy i talked to today was really nice maybe if you talk to someone on the phone they can help you out. You never know. That whole situation sucks man.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.