FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: easy nymph leaders  (Read 5956 times)

Santo180

easy nymph leaders
« on: Jul 03, 2012, 06:55 PM »
This is for people who buy tapered leaders.  Instead of tossing out leaders once they get too short, tie 8lb floro to the end of a small section of the butt end of the used leader and then add floro tippet.  A thingamabobber will work great attached to the stiffer butt section.  Works good for nymphing.

fontona19

Re: easy nymph leaders
« Reply #1 on: Jul 03, 2012, 09:50 PM »
I just read a article in american angler about a formula for tying your own leader. They suggest 60% butt, 20% taper, and 20% tippet.

I have made up some of my own lately, and I am finding the most important part to get your fly to land gracefully is the butt section needs to be stiff enough. I am still working on developing my own leaders for all the different applications I may need.

I do agree with adding your on flouro tippet for nymphing. The flouro tapered leaders are way too expensive.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2012, 11:39 AM »
You guys really need to try furled leaders. I started making my own last winter. I've been using the same leader since spring with no signs of wear and no reduction in performance.

Here's a couple that I did with high vis tips.

This morning on my 5 wt, I switched from dry to foam hoppers to streamers to clousers to heavily weighted muddlers by simply changing the length and weight of the tippet. The tippet ring I use on the furled butt section makes changing the length and weight of tippet simple and easy.

Nothing I've ever used turns a fly over as well as a furled butt leader.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fontona19

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2012, 03:41 PM »
Sounds like the ticket. Any suggestions on a good place to purchase? Thanks RG.

derik

« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2012, 05:48 PM »
how big is the jig you are using to make them, i've wondered how hard it is to make them.  sounds simple but i'd like to see it done some day

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Jul 29, 2012, 05:02 PM »
You can buy Quigley's on Ebay . They're a good leader.

Here's the jig I built. It's 8' and hinged in the middle for storage.

It's very easy to do. It took 3 or 4 to really get it down. I can do 60 0r 72" on this jig.
Not much investment and the possibilities are endless..

Here's a web site that will help.
http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/henk/henk1.htm
This set of directions uses a vertical board and weights to furl the leader. I use another process that utilizes a battery drill. Do a search for furled leaders. There's a bunch of info out there. Naturally, some go way overboard. :-\
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2012, 06:36 AM »
Oh i see.... definately looks like you need beer to make them.... ::)
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2012, 02:58 PM »
Need? Not really.
But it doesn't hurt ;D
RG

wiredstone

« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2012, 08:02 PM »
Nice. I get mine at Cabelas
wooo fish on. Never mind

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2012, 01:34 AM »
I set up the jig yesterday to wind one up a for some heavier flies I tied. I tweaked the formula a little and the results were very good. I was tossing lead eyed muddlers with my 3 wt ;D

I did stiffen up the tippet by adding a 1x and 3x section. But it turned over like I was tossing dries. Not bad with a 3wt very fast rod and a double taper.

RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 2012, 01:47 AM »
I forgot to mention that mono leaders would be best if you're just nymphing or using sink tips to really get down deep. Mostly I float so I  make mine from 6 & 8/0 Uni. I was thinking I might try one from some Kevlar thread I have . If that worked, I'd probably never have to make another.

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.