FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: snapping turtles  (Read 8392 times)

loves2fish

snapping turtles
« on: Aug 02, 2012, 07:49 PM »
ok so ive been wanting to go turtle fishing for a long time and i have heard of jug fishing for snapping turtles i really want some advice on how to catch them can anybody provide some pointers on how to catch them

jtk2

Re: snapping turtles
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2012, 08:34 PM »
I catch them by accident bass fishing all the time. They will hit a shiner for sure and seem to love wacky worms as well as other soft plastics. For me id go out and find the turtle and cast to it.
Heres a few. There not little

id rather catch nothing by myself than alot in a crowd.

loves2fish

« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2012, 08:45 PM »
wow that looks like a good one ive caught a few i was wondering about setting out jug lines and coming back a few days for them

jtk2

« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2012, 09:47 PM »
I didnt mention anything about that because i dont know the laws and what not. Im pretty sure in ma. Its illegal to use unattended lines. I just gave you a few methods that would also work. Hope it works out for you.

loves2fish

« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2012, 09:55 PM »
thanks im from vermont and i dont believe there is a season on snapping turtles im going to try a variety of methods any tips are greatly appreaciated as well as locations

Boomer

« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2012, 10:01 PM »
I have used a large, round bobber with a chunk of bluegill tail on it. Set the bait shallow - like six inches or less. Toss it towards a turtle you have spotted and reel it right in and stop! Twitch if necesary to get attention. I have caught my fair share on limb lines, trot lines and rod & reel.

As said above - CHECK LOCAL LAWS. No need to get in trouble. Cleaning one is another story but getting them in the boat and back to shore can be fun too. Go prepared. Where are you going to put a 25+lb snapping turtle in your boat???

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2012, 10:16 PM »
Jug Lines are NOT legal in VT.

"Angling: Fishing by means of hook and line in hand or attached to a rod, or by casting or trolling artificial flies, lures or baited hooks, provided that the person angling does not take fish through the ice, from the ice or from any object supported by the ice. A person may take fish only by using not more than two lines of which he or she has immediate control. Each line may not have more than two baited hooks, or three artificial flies or two lures with or without bait."

http://www.eregulations.com/vermont/general-fishing-information/
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

loves2fish

« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2012, 08:13 AM »
ok thanks for the tips everybody i guess jug lines are out lol i thought they might be illegal in vt but didnt see them mentioned in detail also i noticed that nearly every state but vt has regulations on snapping turtles.

TheDL

« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2012, 08:47 AM »
I've never heard of fishing for turtles.  I wouldn't want to get the hook out of that mouth!  Do you eat them?
tight lines....

loves2fish

« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2012, 12:44 PM »
i have never eaten them before ive heard they can be made into stew or deep fried and eaten that way i cant wait to try em out anybody ever eaten one and know where the best meat is

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2012, 01:04 PM »
I catch them by accident bass fishing all the time. They will hit a shiner for sure and seem to love wacky worms as well as other soft plastics. For me id go out and find the turtle and cast to it.
Heres a few. There not little

How's you get the hook out without getting bit?  ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

jtk2

« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2012, 01:09 PM »
I cut the line or if u give him slack he can claw the hook out. They usually unhook themlselves there mouths are basically bone so there just wedged in until he gets slack line.

loves2fish

« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2012, 02:08 PM »
i've caught them over the years and they usually swallow the hooks making it hard for them to release the hook

NYSporty

« Reply #13 on: Aug 03, 2012, 02:11 PM »
We get them all the time on rod and reel all you need is fresh blood.
I pick up road kill if I can't get anything else.
If you have allot of turtles in a pond it wont take long to have one hooked with a dead bird for bait.

TheDL

« Reply #14 on: Aug 03, 2012, 02:17 PM »
So, are guys eating them?  I can't imagine they'd be a good fight for sport fishing?
tight lines....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.