FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: +/- OT: Green Crabs  (Read 5182 times)

CLAMFARMER

Re: +/- OT: Green Crabs
« Reply #15 on: Aug 08, 2012, 11:46 AM »
i use them for tog fishing in the fall. buckets of em. how big do they get? maybe the japs can find some way to eat them.

Nice looking togs there!!! Wish we had them up here. Most of the crabs are less than 3” carapace. Then most of those are under 2”.
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

deerhunter

« Reply #16 on: Aug 08, 2012, 01:44 PM »
i could go for some steamers. mmmmm. any red tide this year?

cap

« Reply #17 on: Aug 08, 2012, 02:19 PM »
http://www.coastofmaine.com/soils-quoddy.shtml

this may be a source to sell to...

A few years back .... i heard that a lot of organic farmers down around the Blue Hill area were using the left overs from some local area lobster pounds and composting on a smaller scale.......

whole crabs gotta have more meat (organic material) than just the shells and leftovers from a clam bake! heheheheheheheheheheh

seems like "Clamfarmer's Crab Compost" would be a possible option...although maybe not monetarily viable.....I dunno.....

cap

« Reply #18 on: Aug 08, 2012, 02:27 PM »
Nice tautogs... I have'nt seen any in years.....

When i was a kid i used to catch loads of them off the jetties with the little green crabs (we called them fiddler crabs even though they were a different species than real "fiddler crabs") we found at low tide under the rocks...

My mother used make a great chowda out of them.

derik

« Reply #19 on: Aug 08, 2012, 05:02 PM »
I've heard of some guys using lobster shells mixed in their bear bait, not sure how the crabs would do.  You should give it a try and see what happens, there is definitely a market for bear bait.

Phoenix

« Reply #20 on: Aug 09, 2012, 05:58 AM »
Sorry, don't have any useful info for you, when I saw the title I though maybe you'd picked up some sort of new venereal disease 8)

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #21 on: Aug 09, 2012, 06:24 AM »
What do you think the sustainable catch rate would be? I believe 6 or 7 guys could  easily come up with at least several thousand #/week - conservative estimater. This would be a seasonal fishery, roughtly from May through September.. what is the average size of the crabs you are seeing? Average crab @ 2.5”carapaceI have a friend that i talked to about this, he is a feed and fertilizer guy. He asked about viable volumes of product cause it is a waste of time to try and develop a product and market with out the supplies of raw materials. If and when he gets his ducks in a row can you supply me with 15 or 20 lbs of crabs for him to test and experiment with? Let me know when you want those crabs. There is certainly NO problem with viable volumes, in season. The market price quantity of purchase would have to be enough to be profitable for the fisherman.....fuel, traps, bait. AND, I think catch rates would be high enough to make it worthwhile for few guys at an equitable price as long as the market can handle the catch. Just would involve some thought and planning I guess. Thank you very much!!!
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

landlockedsalmon

• Remember we all live downstream.
« Reply #22 on: Aug 09, 2012, 02:10 PM »
Maybe asian carp will eat them?I think Illinois has a few extra.lls
if everyone concentrated on the important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.....

jacksmelt

« Reply #23 on: Aug 09, 2012, 02:57 PM »
scalloper would be someone to talk to about this. his driveway is white as bone w/ crushed clam shells! thought it was white stone the first time i saw it.  seen bags of seafood compost go for $4 a piece up here. if you could supply enough i would think there could be a use for them.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

dags

• Myfishfinder Sponsor
« Reply #24 on: Aug 09, 2012, 03:41 PM »
If they work ground up as chum, I would have a market for them.

-Dylan

sst4life

« Reply #25 on: Aug 09, 2012, 08:19 PM »
What about trying to sell them as bait to bait shops down here in mass ??  Alot of bait shops get their eels from Maine might be something to look into.
I play with my rod TWO HANDED !!!!!

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #26 on: Aug 10, 2012, 04:56 AM »
What about trying to sell them as bait to bait shops down here in mass ??  Alot of bait shops get their eels from Maine might be something to look into.

Thank sst! I’ll be looking inti a bunch of stuff. I think bait is part of the answer. Then the big volume might go to aquaculture feed if the price is there. Compost doesn’t pay, except we can get rid of some there.

Any bait dealers you’d recommend?

Thanks!

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #27 on: Aug 10, 2012, 04:57 AM »
If they work ground up as chum, I would have a market for them.

-Dylan

Wanna try some?

saltyshores

« Reply #28 on: Aug 10, 2012, 07:23 AM »
Very interesting thread, Clamfarmer. I've  lobster fished  in Machias Bay for 33 years and we used to have lots of green crabs, but the fishermen killed every one in the traps and now I don't see more than a half dozen a day after hauling 150 traps, although I use the oval escape vents. I assume they are most commonly seen on muddy bottom??

Good luck on finding ways to get rid of them and knock the population down.

dags

• Myfishfinder Sponsor
« Reply #29 on: Aug 10, 2012, 07:54 AM »
bring me a bucket of em and i'll have a few guys try them out. If they work, I know a frozen bait distributor I could hook you up with.

-Dylan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.