FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: fly tying kits  (Read 3480 times)

1morefish10990

fly tying kits
« on: Mar 13, 2013, 09:56 AM »
Anyone have any reviews on any of these kits for beginners

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: fly tying kits
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Don't bother, you'll be wasting your money. You'll out grow the vise rapidly, the tools are very base line and the materials are cheap and limited.

We'll be happy to help if you really want to get started.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

headhunter67

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 06:16 PM »
I would like to learn some to start a new hobby. What are the basics needed?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 12:49 PM »
Vise, Bobbin, Thread, scissors and material for a fly. Oh yeah....I forgot....you'll need that second mortgage for the addition to your house.

Start by choosing a fly you'd like to tie.....one that you'll use. That'll get you going.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

derik

« Reply #4 on: Jun 02, 2013, 06:12 AM »
A kit can get you started but if you become serious about it you will end up upgrading the vise pretty quickly.  That being said my roll around in the box kit is a cabelas AA vise and just basic tools with a pedestal stand that I keep in an old metal mac tools socket set box I found.  It is functional and easy to use.  You don't need a vise that will set you back a months pay, the expensive vises are nice but I have a Regal style vise that is a knock off that works almost as good as the real thing, but I used the AA style for many years.  I know a few older tiers that use nothing but the old AA vises they had when they were young, pretty worn out but they work.  As for a kit, if you can get one on sale cheap as long as it has the basics to get you going vise, bobbin, basic materials for fish catching flies, it will get you started and you will find if it is something you want to keep doing.  Go to a fly shop they usually have a vise set up and tell them you want to try it out and see if it's something you want to try, they are usually nice and more than helpful about it.

Bartman44

« Reply #5 on: Jun 02, 2013, 07:25 AM »
Starters -

Steamer  - Woolly Bugger
Nymph - Tellico
Dry Fly - any simple cul de canard (CDC) pattern

These patterns will teach you the basics (and catch fish) and once you have the basics down,  let your imagination run wild.

Use You Tube videos. I've learned more in a few minutes watching the videos than I did in years reading magazines when I first started 40 years ago.   

Boomer

« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2013, 07:45 AM »
My wife got me a basic fly tying kit from Cabelas some years ago.  I still use it today. Is it fancy? No. Can I tie a fly? Yes. Does the fly catch fish? Yes. Do I wish I had better vise? Sometimes.  Getting started is more difficult than actually doing it. Tie that first fly and have fun.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2013, 04:26 AM »
You Tube videos are the nutz! Search Davie McPhail.

I started with the old Orvis Guide To Tying Flies.

Here's another great site for learning fly tying.
Fly Anglers Online

RG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.