FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Ontario Browns  (Read 31566 times)

fishkiller007

Lake Ontario Browns
« on: Mar 20, 2013, 05:46 PM »
Cant wait for some great brown trout fishing this spring. Any great spots?
Don't fear the fish

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
Re: Lake Ontario Browns
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2013, 08:55 PM »
The whole shoreline

broadhorizons

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2013, 01:09 PM »
The whole shoreline

Short and simple... can't wait!
Captain Andy
Broad Horizons Guide and Charter Service

redarrow61

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2013, 03:42 PM »
Gonna head up in my new boat i got last year cant wait .... iI know they r shallow ,I was planning on running planer boards with stick baits in about 20 ft of water ... maybe some spoons on the down riggers ... is this a good start ???? Been fishing all my life just got a boat Ontario worthy, with all the right toys so wanna try it out any suggestions will b great ...planning on putting in in Mexico and fishing that shoreline ,

Gump

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2013, 03:51 PM »
Gonna head up in my new boat i got last year cant wait .... iI know they r shallow ,I was planning on running planer boards with stick baits in about 20 ft of water ... maybe some spoons on the down riggers ... is this a good

Think shallower....water temps warm up much faster in the shallows....20 ft. is sometimes to deep.  Sometimes just a couple degree temp change can make all the difference.  The name of the game for early Spring browns is colored water and warmer temps much more than depth.  Find one or the other and you will find fish....find both together and get ready to tuna haul.  Few years back had a perfect storm of conditions and boated 33 in a hair over 4 hours......4'-7' f.o.w.  The pocket of water was only a few hundred yards long and wide.   That said however, our biggest fish have always come a bit deeper....

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

redarrow61

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2013, 03:54 PM »

Think shallower....water temps warm up much faster in the shallows....20 ft. is sometimes to deep.  Sometimes just a couple degree temp change can make all the difference.  The name of the game for early Spring browns is colored water and warmer temps much more than depth.  Find one or the other and you will find fish....find both together and get ready to tuna haul.  Few years back had a perfect storm of conditions and boated 33 in a hair over 4 hours......4'-7' f.o.w.  The pocket of water was only a few hundred yards long and wide.   That said however, our biggest fish have always come a bit deeper....

Would never have thought of fishing that shallow thanks gump soo planer boards and flat lining sounds like a good start

Gump

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2013, 05:17 PM »
Would never have thought of fishing that shallow thanks gump soo planer boards and flat lining sounds like a good start

Absolutely,  no need to really run anything else early on in the season.   Rapalas, thunderstick jr.s, smithwicks and other stick baits are the way to go in shallower water.  Natural baitfish colors in clearer water and some brighter colored patterns in muddier water....just experiment.  don't neglect to throw a spoon out a couple feet down on the rigger or off the boards with a snap weight or a couple big split shot above it.

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

bigjim308

• King Jiggler!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2013, 05:41 PM »
If im not fishing im thinking about it!!

nightfisher

« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2013, 05:58 PM »
  43"51'58.96N    76"17'16.96W   8)  There ya go!

smokey

« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2013, 06:13 PM »
My dad goes out to Ontario every Spring for their guy's trip. Six guys, two per boat. I finally got the invitation to go this year, but money is tight.

They usually limit out and have a couple dozen thrown back by eight in the morning. It always sounds like a fun time to me. Its gotta be a rush for two guys in a 16ft boat to be dealing with triples.

broadhorizons

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2013, 06:22 PM »
Just keep in mind when running your lures in the shallows how deep they run so you don't "donate" too many.

F9's...100' back...12# line...4-5' deep
3.5" Crystal Minnows...100' back...12# line...2-3' deep

Stinger spoon...medium splitshot 5' up...100' back...12# line...3-5' deep
Stinger spoon...2 med splitshot 5' up...100' back...12# line...donated in 7'

Get yourself the Precision Trolling books and they help a lot.  It won't have any info on splitshots but does have snapweights.  Extensive info on sticks.  Big Water book has all the dipsy's and other stuff.
Captain Andy
Broad Horizons Guide and Charter Service

redarrow61

« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2013, 06:39 PM »
great info thanks again as soon as it thaws i will hopefully be out ... the earlier the better i bet ..as soon as you can get out ??

vogel451

« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2013, 06:50 PM »
  43"51'58.96N    76"17'16.96W   8)  There ya go!

Hey thats in cancun!
-Mclovin out

ReelSilver

« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2013, 06:53 PM »

:-\  I would stick to about 10 feet of water or more to start, get to know the area you're fishing 1st, trying to run 4-7 feet in mexico bay can be an expensive experience,  the rocks and ledges come out of know where some times.  The lake is very low this year so those rocks will be even higher. 
thanks
Capt. Dave

These are "The Good Ole Days"

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2013, 10:49 PM »
:w00t:
Im not lying , anywhere from the oak to Henderson . The great for would be inside the bouts off the nuke plant but don't take  boat in there . Not unless you like guns pointed at you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.