FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Great Spring Day  (Read 2546 times)

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
Great Spring Day
« on: May 04, 2013, 09:27 PM »
Launched at a local bass hole at 8:00 this morning and stayed out till 4:30 this afternoon and I think we only saw 3 or 4 clouds... Felt good to have the sun beating down. Had good action all day except for an hour or so lull around 1:00. Loads of cookie cutter 2 pound Larrys but no pigs... biggest was only 3, most of them came on the new Rapala Scatter cranks, they have a great action and deflect pretty well but they are not very aerodynamic on the cast and take a careful thumb on the baitcaster. Found a nice little shallow flat that had a huge school of yellows... must of caught and released 50 of 'em in an hour between us both working identical crawdad square A's. If we would have had a cooler with ice with us there would have been a fish fry tonight. Gotta do some chores in the morning then back out for the afternoon bite tomorrow.

Nothing but blue skies

Daisy hating life and shivering after doing a header off the side of the boat into 60 degree water trying to get to a fish on the line

A couple of the bass caught today

PapaAthona

Re: Great Spring Day
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 09:43 PM »
Nice!  This is getting me psyched for tomorrow morning!

jibbs

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 04:49 AM »
Nice...we went to northwood and the large were tough to find... Had to pluck smallie beds to get my limit...it was a nice day...congrats on the fish...I would have to throw that scatter rap on a spinning rod
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 08:01 AM »
Nice...we went to northwood and the large were tough to find... Had to pluck smallie beds to get my limit...it was a nice day...congrats on the fish...I would have to throw that scatter rap on a spinning rod

I don't really have any spinning setups that aren't ultralight, but might have to put one together from some older stuff in the "fishing closet"... I wasn't able to throw the Scatter minnow at all, it just slows down too much mid flight... Birds nest every other cast but still managed an angry little pickerel on one of the tangles lol.

jibbs

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 02:25 PM »
I use a 7 foot falcon medium action with a spinning reel...10 lb seaguar fluorocarbon...I use it for small cranks like the wigglewart...manns 1 minus...great set up for me
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 05:44 PM »
I use a 7 foot falcon medium action with a spinning reel...10 lb seaguar fluorocarbon...I use it for small cranks like the wigglewart...manns 1 minus...great set up for me

Must be because I'm more of a small mouth guy but I wouldn't consider a wiggle wart a small crank at all... My idea of a small crank is Rebel tiny R or a Crickhopper... I've got cranks that aren't even big enough for 2 trebles lol. I do have one spinning combo for canoe/shore fishing... an Abu Vendetta 6 footer in medium but it just feels to short when standing on the deck with plenty of room for the back cast.

jibbs

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 06:05 PM »
That's funny...I have to even throw jerkbaits on a spinning rod..:better feel for me...

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 06:31 PM »
I hate jerkbaits, they're hard on the hands and wrists. One of those necessary evils for first thaw bass though.

Dispy

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 06:34 PM »
I hate jerkbaits, they're hard on the hands and wrists. One of those necessary evils for first thaw bass though.
PK Lures will out-fish any jerk bait in cold water just after ice out....Vertical jigging and hoping will prove fruitful ;)
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

jibbs

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 06:34 PM »
i agree...I ditch that bait as soon as the water hits 50...can be fun on smallies but just way to much work

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 06:51 PM »
PK Lures will out-fish any jerk bait in cold water just after ice out....Vertical jigging and hoping will prove fruitful ;)

I don't have the patience for jigging, especially after doing it through a little hole in the ice for months prior lol. I have been thinking of trying a couple PK cranks as the water warms... looks like an interesting design with the pronounced lateral line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.