FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: heading out to jeffries  (Read 4509 times)

wmhunts

• come on get in the boat fish
heading out to jeffries
« on: May 07, 2013, 05:13 PM »
As long as the forecast for Saturday holds we are going to make a trip to Jeffries my buddy down in mass is dying to get into haddock and hes having trouble finding them on stellwagen. Hopefully I will have some more good pics of a successful trip and a cooler full of haddock. theres no limit on fish over 18inches IF we can find them. Stripers are heading north as we speak! counting the days
TUNA insanity!!,
Ice fishing fever, turkey blasting, Striper Mania!!!, Big bucks down

stripernut

Re: heading out to jeffries
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 05:48 PM »
wmhunts, Where do you plan on going out of? I fish the whole coast a great deal and would be happy to point you to some spots... PM me...

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 03:01 PM »
Make sure you bring a outfit for the Porbeagle Sharks, been many around! And don't forget to get your Federal Permit on line, it is easy and then you will be covered!

wmhunts

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 04:03 AM »
Ive been reading about those porbeagles and would love to catch one. there good eating from what i've read and I havnt ever caught a real shark just dogfish.What is a good way to setup for sharks while bottom fishing? My trip unfortunately had to be cancelled due to high wind and 3to 5 footers all weekend. I am going to fish next weekend no matter what if its gonna be rough Im going to boston harbor for stripers
TUNA insanity!!,

rude the dude

• when can we go again?
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 04:28 AM »
the length on haddocks up to 21 inches this year. 8)

dunphy11

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 04:05 AM »
I know you travel a fair amount to fish the salt. Not sure what you use for marine forcast info, when I was doing it I found windfinder.com a great resource for making my decisions on wheter to travel to the coast or not. Maybe this will help .........good luck

wmhunts

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 05:26 AM »
 Rude dude: 2013 Mass regulations still say 18inches on haddock. Perhaps Maine would like to stand alone on their regulations like their "oddball" (the kindest word I could come up with) striper regulations.
TUNA insanity!!,

stripernut

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 06:37 AM »
Most of the time for the Porbeagles we drop a separate line out with a wire leader, a fair size bait, held about 15 ft off the bottom with a balloon... There is much more to it, but that is the starting point.

wmhunts

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 01:14 PM »
finally 2to3 footers tomorrow we are heading out for a day of cod fishing. I hope to find some haddock to
TUNA insanity!!,

wmhunts

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 07:46 PM »
Wow another beautiful day at sea. the two of us ended up fishing stellwagen and caught 17cod, 2haddock, 2nice size Pollock, 16 redfish, 2 dogfish, several sea robins, a bunch of schooling herring and mackerel, and 1 keeper striper in Gloucester harbor. Not bad a 9 species day. My favorite fishing buddy to. he payed for all the fuel  ;D
TUNA insanity!!,

getthenet!

• gogetthegaff on IS
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 01:37 PM »
Wow another beautiful day at sea. the two of us ended up fishing stellwagen and caught 17cod, 2haddock, 2nice size Pollock, 16 redfish, 2 dogfish, several sea robins, a bunch of schooling herring and mackerel, and 1 keeper striper in Gloucester harbor. Not bad a 9 species day. My favorite fishing buddy to. he payed for all the fuel  ;D
How big of a boat are you taking out there, and how far is that offshore? Just curious. I love bottom fishing too and hope to upgrade my boat to something I can fish with offshore in salt water.

wmhunts

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 05:25 AM »
getthenet, Im fishing out of a 1978 Mako 20' center console and I wouldn't recommend going out in anything smaller. My 2 best spots are 15 and 17 miles offshore. It has been really no problem getting out there in my boat and enjoying the day. I pay very close attention to the NOAA weather forecast and am definitely a fair weather fisherman when it comes to offshore. 2to4' seas are the max and 10to15 on the winds less if its from the east. The 2 two trips I have made this year have been fantastic because I watch the weather daily and go only when the forecast is good. the two trips I have made have been the nicest I have ever seen it offshore. Wanna go sometime? Or follow me out in your boat? PM me
TUNA insanity!!,

dunphy11

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 06:04 AM »
How big of a boat are you taking out there, and how far is that offshore? Just curious. I love bottom fishing too and hope to upgrade my boat to something I can fish with offshore in salt water.
I steadily took my Angler 204WA  (20'4")  out 35 miles to bottom fish with no problems as long as you paid serious attention to marine forecasts. Exactly like wmhunts says 2-4 ftrs max  less from east.  Start very early in the day and leave room to get done early as the days energy builds. The absolute best info for predicting sea conditions I found was http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/jeffreys_ledge_buoy for jeffreys ledge . This site lets you read how seas will build or lessen by the hour of the day The superforecast on the site is great. The excitement and adventure of doing it yourself that far out is awesome.

Scalloper

• 73 lbs Atlantic Hal june 2009
« Reply #13 on: Jun 11, 2013, 07:33 AM »
Dont forget the tuna gear  ;)
Its a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #14 on: Apr 23, 2014, 12:30 PM »
I also did real great of jeffreys
 ;D ;D ;D