FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sturgeon and taking pics  (Read 16868 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Sturgeon and taking pics
« Reply #60 on: Jun 21, 2013, 09:08 AM »
lol  well  i  had  to  carry  my  new partners  mother and  uncle   on my shoulders  or  in the  pack basket a  few  times  too  lol  ....  eco  you have every  right to be  proud  of  your family! sounds  like  you did a  good  job raising him! .....  and  yes i am having  fun!  and oh and  truth i  really  don't  care about the  sturgeons  ...just stock more  is  my  answer  .... 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

trapper2000

« Reply #61 on: Jun 23, 2013, 05:47 AM »

filetandrelease

« Reply #62 on: Jun 23, 2013, 01:28 PM »

esox v

« Reply #63 on: Jul 15, 2013, 11:58 AM »
BINGO !!

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/91959.html

Definition of Catch & Release (2014_SW_04)

Email a comment.

Description: Clarify, in regulation, the definition of Catch and Release, as well as the handling of non-targeted and incidentally caught fish.

Rationale: Adding a definition to NYCRR will help clarify, and establish in regulation, what it means to "catch and release". The language being proposed is as follows: "Catching and immediately releasing the caught fish without harm. Measuring, weighing and photographing of the fish are permitted as long as the fish is not removed from the water for an extended period or handled in a manner that could cause it harm. Fish may not be placed in a bucket, tub, livewell, on a string or any other holding device". The following language is also being proposed, for non-targeted and incidentally caught fish: "Release of incidentally caught fish: Incidentally caught threatened or endangered fish species, or species caught during closed seasons, must be unhooked and released immediately. Such fish may not be removed from the water or otherwise handled for any purpose other than removing the hook and placing the fish back into the water. Intentionally angling for threatened or endangered fish, or for fish during the closed season for that species, is prohibited."
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

trapper2000

« Reply #64 on: Jul 17, 2013, 10:22 AM »
and  thats  exactly  why  people  don't  understand  the  law  it  at  first  says  you  can  take  a  picture  measure  as  long  as  it's  not  out  of  the  water  for  a  extended  period  of  time  (any  one  know  exactly  what  a  extended  period  of  time  is?)  then  next  they  say  this " must be unhooked and released immediately. Such fish may not be removed from the water or otherwise handled for any purpose other than removing the hook and placing the fish back into the water"  and  say  only  thing  you  can  do  is  remove  the  hook  and  let  it  go  ?????????......  to  be  honest  i  don't  know  if  it's  legal or  not  (don't  care  either doesn't  effect  me)  but  laws  need  to  be  clear and  leave  nothing to speculation .........  did  andrew  cuomo  write  this???????

and  why  wait  lets  just  stock  more  sturgeons  and   let  people  fish  for  them  ?  whats  the  since  in  stocking  a  fish  then  not  fish  for  it?????? this  whole  sturgeon  thing  makes  no  since  to me

esox v

« Reply #65 on: Jul 17, 2013, 11:47 AM »
Seems Gin clear to me.... 8)

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #66 on: Jul 17, 2013, 03:56 PM »
So if your fishing with someone and you accidently catch a sturgeon or if someone nearby you notices and they start taking pics while you unhook it and let it go you're breaking the law.....I think the intent of the law is to stress that you will be in deep crap if you take one home or are targeting them..... I'm not " stirring the pot " I just think the whole thing is being blown out of proportion... Yeah, yeah yeah the law is this that and every other thing.......
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

trapper2000

« Reply #67 on: Jul 17, 2013, 04:00 PM »
i  agree  mickey  but i still say  why wait  stock more and  let  people  take  em home  if they want

esox v

« Reply #68 on: Jul 18, 2013, 10:39 AM »
So if your fishing with someone and you accidently catch a sturgeon or if someone nearby you notices and they start taking pics while you unhook it and let it go you're breaking the law.....I think the intent of the law is to stress that you will be in deep crap if you take one home or are targeting them..... I'm not " stirring the pot " I just think the whole thing is being blown out of proportion... Yeah, yeah yeah the law is this that and every other thing.......
Negative... as soon as you stop and pose for a photo op.... take a weight or measurement... you are breaking the law... because the process of  releasing immediately does not include any of them.  A simple no brainer....

ripple

« Reply #69 on: Jul 18, 2013, 12:01 PM »
thats not going to work well for ice fishing..   :tipup:

Edit:
after re-reading, I understand you CAN remove from water to remove the hook.. My bad, carry on..

ratherbeonice

« Reply #70 on: Jul 18, 2013, 02:13 PM »
Negative... as soon as you stop and pose for a photo op.... take a weight or measurement... you are breaking the law... because the process of  releasing immediately does not include any of them.  A simple no brainer....

It says right in the first line of your regs, that pictures, measuring etc, is permitted as long as the fish isnt out of water too long. then in next line it says no removing the fish from the water....u must think like the people who wrote the law cuz its not gin clear to me either?

ripple

« Reply #71 on: Jul 18, 2013, 02:45 PM »
It says right in the first line of your regs, that pictures, measuring etc, is permitted as long as the fish isn't out of water too long. then in next line it says no removing the fish from the water....u must think like the people who wrote the law cuz its not gin clear to me either?

That was my thoughts too until I actually READ it through and clearly..
After doing so it is very Gin Clear..

Yes as proposed, if it is an endangered or out of season species you CAN take it out of the water to remove the hook.. You Can NOT measure, or take photos..

honestly it's a pretty lame proposal but is very clear once you read in its entirety..
I will say however, If I catch a trophy or fish of a lifetime and can successfully take a picture with out harming the fish then ....I do what I gotta do..

You have the opportunity to voice your opinion in comment to the DEC on this proposal, I suggest everyone do so.. iT IS NOT A REGULATION AS OF NOW, ONLY A PROPOSAL

esox v

« Reply #72 on: Jul 18, 2013, 06:24 PM »
It says right in the first line of your regs, that pictures, measuring etc, is permitted as long as the fish isnt out of water too long. then in next line it says no removing the fish from the water....u must think like the people who wrote the law cuz its not gin clear to me either?
  It's Simple........Those are the guidelines for catch and release fishing.... Bass has a catch and release season and  Measuring, weighing and photographing of the fish are permitted as long as the fish is not removed from the water for an extended period or handled in a manner that could cause it harm. Fish may not be placed in a bucket, tub, livewell, on a string or any other holding device".  8)

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #73 on: Jul 18, 2013, 07:08 PM »

A majority of the laws they pass now are as cloudy as where the Mohawk and Hudson meet after a rainstorm ,so I guess it must have something to do with it being Albany is right there......

The only thing that's gin clear is a bottle of gin , but man that stuff makes me angry....
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

The Polish Pirate

« Reply #74 on: Jul 18, 2013, 08:15 PM »
All that this recent additional proposal clearly identified is that the previous clarification needed to be cleared up ! Whether that was accomplished or not is yet to be determined ? I'm good with the way the law was or the way it may end up being.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.