FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cabelas coming to Cheektowaga  (Read 15487 times)

bailey63

Re: Cabelas coming to Cheektowaga
« Reply #15 on: Jun 02, 2013, 05:51 PM »
Rg i just went off quick reference of areas and roch was listed with surrounding so thats the reason for high number. Also bass pro is looking at just over boarder in canada to locate a super store. Also heard cabela's owns huge chunk of land in chatauqua co so maybe a fenced hunt area in plan? I just hope they capitalize on Walleye with lake erie so close .
Fishing WNY on "facebook"
22' Islander "H"EYE STRUNG
Fishing is more than what I do it's who I am!!

filetandrelease

« Reply #16 on: Jun 02, 2013, 06:02 PM »
Well.......Rochester population as of 2011 was 210,000, Buffalo was 261,000 Syracuse 145,000. But your theory makes perfect sense.

RG
this is there criteria

1. Site must be located in an area of our current expansion interest.

2. Prefer anchoring in growing retail developments of 400,000 sq ft. located with other major retailers.

3. Will lease or purchase; "pad ready" sites or big box shells, minimum 12 acres.

4. Require 80,000 to 125,000 sq feet, based on size of market, ceiling height of 21 feet with minimum parking ratio of 5:1.

5. Prefer Interstate frontage and require excellent access and visibility.

6. Require site to be within 20 miles of a metro area, Prefer 1 million people within a 30 mile radius.

7. 60 min. drive from another Cabela's Retail Store.

8. Prefer Minimum Traffic Counts of 40,000 cpd.

9. No Franchising or Bargain Outlet Stores.

10. Incentive Packages or tenant allowances are required.

wnybassman

• The Real "No Good"
« Reply #17 on: Jun 02, 2013, 06:04 PM »
This is Buffalo we are talking about.   I won't believe anything is "coming to Buffalo" until the day I walk through the doors.   lol

filetandrelease

« Reply #18 on: Jun 02, 2013, 06:08 PM »
Syracuse may be closer to the center of NYS, but the city obviously didn't meet Cabela's demographics or criteria. They were probably scared off by the white elephant at the south end of Onondaga Lake. You know the one....Congel's castle.

RG

it has no windows so we call it Carousel Correctional

and before that it was known as the big empty

bailey63

« Reply #19 on: Jun 02, 2013, 06:13 PM »
Actually its cheektowaga not buff so it makes a big difference. Buffalo itself is wasted space more worried about saving death trap grain silos and instead of growth wants public space.

wnybassman

• The Real "No Good"
« Reply #20 on: Jun 02, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Actually its cheektowaga not buff so it makes a big difference. Buffalo itself is wasted space more worried about saving death trap grain silos and instead of growth wants public space.

It's close enough.    ;D

For the record, I always though Batavia would be a great location.  Halfway between Buffalo and Rochester, and there is tons of commercial property available literally seconds off the Thruway.    I guess we are supposed to get the new Dick's "Field and Stream" store by Christmas, but that remains to be seen also.

bailey63

« Reply #21 on: Jun 02, 2013, 07:01 PM »
Yeah i am against the tax breaks for dicks at least the extent they wanna give developers for a second time. I do know a few yrs ago batavia was rumored to be looked at by cabelas that came from an official of area. I think batavia could be great primary location for big outdoor store. I just don't see dicks really being a draw even for locals. Heck batavia area was looked at for a few big draw ideas but ball was dropped. I think the suits just don't understand the common man. Oh yeah covington is a beautiful area nice place to live. I am. 30 or so mi north in swamps .

Pequod1

« Reply #22 on: Jun 02, 2013, 07:14 PM »
I agree with Baily's demographics but I have been told by people at Bass pro that they like their stores to be "destination" stores. A place where you would have to go a little out of your way to get there but a place that you planned your day around. I guess they feel you would spend more money that way. Galeria does draw a lot of Canadien visitors which probably helped the decision. What is this "Field and Stream" store about in Batavia. I would like to hear more about this. I know Dick's sells a lot of their hunting stuff.

Timber

« Reply #23 on: Jun 02, 2013, 10:25 PM »
I'd rather they stay out so I can keep paying my 5 dollar shipping and keep Albany from getting anymore of my money .

Without doubt the canuck market played into the location choice .

But that areas a congested  hole as it is .

Crappy location for sure .

wnybassman

• The Real "No Good"
« Reply #24 on: Jun 03, 2013, 05:48 AM »
I agree with Baily's demographics but I have been told by people at Bass pro that they like their stores to be "destination" stores. A place where you would have to go a little out of your way to get there but a place that you planned your day around. I guess they feel you would spend more money that way. Galeria does draw a lot of Canadien visitors which probably helped the decision. What is this "Field and Stream" store about in Batavia. I would like to hear more about this. I know Dick's sells a lot of their hunting stuff.

http://thedailynewsonline.com/news/article_546666f8-981e-11e2-8e08-0019bb2963f4.html

This article didn't say so I guess, but another I read said it was going be one of the new "Field and Stream" stores, which I think is just a bigger Dick's more suited to the outdoors.

Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

« Reply #25 on: Jun 03, 2013, 09:44 AM »
in 1991 i was the fishing manager of the dicks on union rd in cheektowaga. the store was the first dicks to do $1 million in fishing tackle. it will be a good location

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #26 on: Jun 03, 2013, 10:44 AM »

I forgot about Toronto to the north....   makes sense now.... 
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

« Reply #27 on: Jun 03, 2013, 12:01 PM »
snagger when i was in cheektowaga we had to clean up the parking lot every weekend. the canadians would come down wearing their rattiest clothes. buy new clothes change in the lot and wear the new stuff back. that way they didn't have to pay duty. we routinely had to rig up new rods and reels for them so they could tell the border that they came to fish and the rods where already theirs.

Pequod1

« Reply #28 on: Jun 03, 2013, 03:16 PM »
I don't know if that is funny or sad. There must be a market for used Canadian clothes - right ;D ;D ;D

OTIS

« Reply #29 on: Jun 03, 2013, 03:42 PM »
Now we'll have to pay tax on our orders. >:(  That's why I no longer do business with BPS!  All for a store I'll never visit...  More business for the little guys!
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.