FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cabelas coming to Cheektowaga  (Read 15489 times)

Prchmike

Re: Cabelas coming to Cheektowaga
« Reply #30 on: Jun 04, 2013, 06:26 AM »
snagger when i was in cheektowaga we had to clean up the parking lot every weekend. the canadians would come down wearing their rattiest clothes. buy new clothes change in the lot and wear the new stuff back. that way they didn't have to pay duty. we routinely had to rig up new rods and reels for them so they could tell the border that they came to fish and the rods where already theirs.
I watched a bunch of them in the Galleria parking lot one day. They put on so many layers of clothes that thier passports better have said "Pillsbury Dough Boy".  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
fishermen are born honest, but they get over it..

FrankM

« Reply #31 on: Jun 04, 2013, 11:21 AM »
Canadians coming to the US and spending money is a good thing. If they choose to avoid paying Canadian taxes on their way back home that is their problem.  Some of these comments mystify me.
Kool Aid Kool Aid, Tastes Great, Wish we had some, can't wait.

depewdriller

« Reply #32 on: Jun 04, 2013, 01:08 PM »
I live a 10-min drive from where this store is to be located. Can't freakin' wait. Just made a 2-hour drive to BPS in Auburn to do a return. Ate up a whole day. this is fantastic news and it's a great location for high traffic. Just hope they cater/tailor selection to the area and region.

eyedoktr

« Reply #33 on: Jun 04, 2013, 01:45 PM »
Canadians coming to the US and spending money is a good thing. If they choose to avoid paying Canadian taxes on their way back home that is their problem.  Some of these comments mystify me.

I agree Frank. I wonder how many of these complainers have filled out that little box on their own tax returns. You know, the box you are supposed to use to pay taxes on Internet purchases.
Pete Lewis

Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

« Reply #34 on: Jun 04, 2013, 05:16 PM »
guys i am not complaining. to me it was more amusing than everything. and the canadian money is excellent

filetandrelease

« Reply #35 on: Jun 04, 2013, 07:41 PM »

the green is always good

bailey63

« Reply #36 on: Jun 04, 2013, 08:03 PM »
And canadian green ia better than ours by .03, wasnt that long ago our green   .54 more than their dollar. I am sure cabelas will be a big draw to the area i know the one in PA is always busy. I really hope its placement location shows buffalo itself they dropped the ball with bass pro but you can maybe go watch the pretty light show on old grain solos because that'll bring lots of income to our area.
Fishing WNY on "facebook"
22' Islander "H"EYE STRUNG
Fishing is more than what I do it's who I am!!

chris458wm

« Reply #37 on: Jun 04, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Good for you guys that you're getting a Cabelas.  We have one here in Pennsylvania and I go there two or three times a year.  It's a hunter's and fisherman's paradise and fun for the entire family.  My kids love the mounts and walk through aquarium.  Good thing for me it's not closer, I'd be in the poor house.

ICE ADDICT

« Reply #38 on: Jun 05, 2013, 11:02 AM »
OK my turn....

This was the best news I've heard in my ENTIRE life concerning an outlet for us Fisherman and Hunters to gather and spend our hard earned money on the things we love most.  This store will be approx. 3 miles away from my home. Is the location a super busy corridor? Yes it is, but not nearly as busy or congested as the other two BUSIEST commercial spots in our area. Those being #1 Niagara Falls Boulevard(Tonawanda / Amherst / Blvd. Mall area)  and #2 Main/Transit area....With the addition of Cabelas the Walden Galleria business district will no doubt be the #1 busiest area. Will this keep me away from there? HECK NO!! Will it keep every other nearby sportsman away? Absolutely not!

As for the location, like many have pointed out the Canadian influence is what I'm sure had a huge impact on the decision....I have a business in the above mentioned Niagara falls Blvd. business district and BELIEVE me, if it weren't for our Canadian neighbors the retail business would not nearly be what is is right now! And right now it S@$*S bad enough as it is!

When it comes to where the "right" place to put this store is; well, in MY opinion I think it makes perfect sense to place it not only in one of the busiest areas of N.Y.State, but also nestled right in between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario along the mighty Niagara River. This will draw shoppers from most of the finger lakes region, including the central and eastern Ontario shorelines, the western southern tier and the central Erie shoreline, all of Ontario Canada and who knows how much further north, west and east in Canada...

As for paying the taxes, ship to store will always be an option for those who want to go that route, or for large ticket items....

This whole thing has me super stoked!! ....Watch now how long it takes Bass Pro to find an appropriate spot for one of their stores in the Buffalo area, then we'll have the best of both worlds! But my first choice is and has always been Cabelas! Their customer service is second to NONE! All they will have to figure out is how to groom the help they are going to have to find around here so that they are not the rude, uneducated, ignorant people they are!! That will be quite the task! I'm not saying EVERYBODY here in this area is that way, just unfortunately the majority...

Like someone said though, I wont actually believe it happens until I walk through the doors! This IS Buffalo after all, we can't even build a stupid bridge!

I absolutely can't wait!!! :w00t:

OK, that concludes my long winded .02 cents!  ;D
We all believe in something,...I believe I'll go fishin'....

Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

« Reply #39 on: Jun 05, 2013, 11:21 AM »
well stated IA

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #40 on: Jun 05, 2013, 03:46 PM »
I guess I see it as just plain good for the economy.

There's a lot of people who'll have work because of this. If the plans are similar to what they built in Dundee (I was there) there's hotels, restaurants, shops, gas stations and concierge services for local attractions. Most of that will be new businesses hiring new employees, construction workers, service companies, goods and material vendors........good for the economy!

And, next to LL Bean, the best customer service in the industry.

And....the gun library in Dundee was spectacular...so was the salmon stream running through the store...and the full elephant mounts. I remember a mount of several lions taking down a Kudu. Just to mention a few. I mean...a MOUNTAIN in the middle of the store :w00t: :w00t: An awesome place to visit.

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ICE ADDICT

« Reply #41 on: Jun 06, 2013, 08:21 AM »
I hope it's like that RG, but do you think the stated 100,000 square footprint they intend on utilizing is big enough for a store of that magnitude?

As for LL Bean I've never bought anything from them....I think they are a Little to ritzy for this simple man.

And yes, by ALL MEANS , GREAT for the local economy!

Cornbread

« Reply #42 on: Jun 06, 2013, 09:50 AM »
I'm happy for you guys! We are getting a smaller Cabela's in Kalispell here in Montana and it is already doing a lot for the local economy and that is just in construction jobs. They are supposed to open the doors this fall.

The next closest one for me is the giant one up in Post Falls, it is 800,000sq ft and it really is a destination event to go there. My kids love what my youngest calls "dead animal mountain" where they have full mounts of everything from Polar Bears to Musk Ox to Grizzlies to African wildlife. The one in Kalispell will be much smaller but still very appreciated.

I think the targeting of Canadian dollars is not just limited to you guys. Kalispell has a huge amount of Canadians coming down to it to shop and given that the population of Kalispell itself is so small I would bet this was actually the main driver behind putting one there. Especially in the Whitefish area just north of Kalispell thousands of homes in the area are owned by Canadians who use them as summer cottages, hunting and fishing cabins as well as ski cabins in the winter when they come down to ski Whitefish.

It looks like somebody at Cabelas wised up and said "hey look at the size of the Canadian market and how well their economy is doing, we can take advantage of that and not have to pay to set up stores in another country by putting our stores right across the border on the US side". It is a win win for everybody involved except for the Government of Canada not getting any taxes off of most of what is purchased but I'll be honest if the average Joe Sportsman on either side of the border wins out and it brings money into the US, I'm not going to cry over the fact the Canadian government lost some tax revenue.

As far as the dumping off of clothes goes suggest to Cabela's and other retailers in the area that they do what we do and put a permanent Goodwill donation trailer at the back of the parking lot. Again it becomes a win win for everybody that way, including the areas poorer citizens who rely on Goodwill for their clothing.
There are only two types of truly happy people in this world, married women and single men.

FrankM

« Reply #43 on: Jun 06, 2013, 11:12 AM »
I'm happy for you guys! We are getting a smaller Cabela's in Kalispell here in Montana and it is already doing a lot for the local economy and that is just in construction jobs. They are supposed to open the doors this fall.

The next closest one for me is the giant one up in Post Falls, it is 800,000sq ft and it really is a destination event to go there. My kids love what my youngest calls "dead animal mountain" where they have full mounts of everything from Polar Bears to Musk Ox to Grizzlies to African wildlife. The one in Kalispell will be much smaller but still very appreciated.

I think the targeting of Canadian dollars is not just limited to you guys. Kalispell has a huge amount of Canadians coming down to it to shop and given that the population of Kalispell itself is so small I would bet this was actually the main driver behind putting one there. Especially in the Whitefish area just north of Kalispell thousands of homes in the area are owned by Canadians who use them as summer cottages, hunting and fishing cabins as well as ski cabins in the winter when they come down to ski Whitefish.

It looks like somebody at Cabelas wised up and said "hey look at the size of the Canadian market and how well their economy is doing, we can take advantage of that and not have to pay to set up stores in another country by putting our stores right across the border on the US side". It is a win win for everybody involved except for the Government of Canada not getting any taxes off of most of what is purchased but I'll be honest if the average Joe Sportsman on either side of the border wins out and it brings money into the US, I'm not going to cry over the fact the Canadian government lost some tax revenue.

As far as the dumping off of clothes goes suggest to Cabela's and other retailers in the area that they do what we do and put a permanent Goodwill donation trailer at the back of the parking lot. Again it becomes a win win for everybody that way, including the areas poorer citizens who rely on Goodwill for their clothing.
I like the way you think. This is definitely a win win situation.
Kool Aid Kool Aid, Tastes Great, Wish we had some, can't wait.

ICE ADDICT

« Reply #44 on: Jun 06, 2013, 03:51 PM »
I like the way you think. This is definitely a win win situation.

Yep, what Frank said!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.