FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: handheld marine gps  (Read 3273 times)

aquaman

• I,ll be home before dark. ( yeah right)
handheld marine gps
« on: Jun 18, 2013, 07:58 PM »
Cant get answers for companies. I need a handheld capable of taking navonics chip or lake vision(not hotmaps) to also mark waypoints. Garmin has no hand helds capable to take chips Lowrance has em but cant mark way points, Any suggestions
I remember EVERY TIME I fished or hunted. The REST of the time I...uh...um..... musta been doing something else that didnt matter.

stripernut

Re: handheld marine gps
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2013, 08:11 PM »
When you say that you can't mark waypoints with a Lowrance, I am not sure what you mean... I am no fan of the Lowrance brand, but are you saying that when you are out on the water, you can't mark a spot?  I have used most all the brands out there and they all let you mark waypoints. Or are you talking about on the computer/transferring waypoints? Do you already own navonics chips? They do cover some water better than Garmins, but over all I like the Garmins better.

aquaman

« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Ive never owned a contour gps Had a garmin 78 and could mark spots, no contour chip. Garmin said none of there gps hand helds are compatable with chips. I want a contour map I can mark spots on, Thanks for the reply AQUA
I remember EVERY TIME I fished or hunted. The REST of the time I...uh...um..... musta been doing something else that didnt matter.

dagfish

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2013, 09:12 PM »
Look at Delorme, i have an older PN40 that takes Navionics chip and I can mark waypoints on it.  I thinK i can even mark way points on maps on my computer and download the marked map to the handheld, but I haven't tried that.

dagfish

TunkTroller

« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2013, 09:15 PM »
yes Delorme works. I use it to run at night when I am clamming. However i found for a lake the trimble fish app for a smart phone beats the hell out of everything. Even better then the map card in my hondex plotter on the boat. lake contours on even the smallest remote lakes in Maine.

aquaman

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Has anybody ran the Lowrance endure safari with lake contour mapping especially north east with inland lakes. Can you mark spots on the contour map?

gearheart

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2013, 11:01 AM »
I have Magellan 610. It runs navionics mini SD chips. I am currently running Navionics Gold.  I had hotmaps but it didn't include great lakes so I switched.

delta9

• Go forth sin no more
« Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2013, 08:47 PM »
garmins lakemaster chips were bought by another company their name eludes me, but they discontinued the chip for garmin. I have a garmin 62s with a lakemaster sd and it works wonderfully.

threeten

• I fish,therefore,I lie!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2013, 10:36 PM »
garmins lakemaster chips were bought by another company their name eludes me, but they discontinued the chip for garmin. I have a garmin 62s with a lakemaster sd and it works wonderfully.
I have a 60 and use the lakemaster too.does everything I need it for,and I don't go anywhere without it. do want to look into the
 phone apps now that I finally upgraded my phone.

perchice

« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2013, 08:13 AM »
I have a 60 and use the lakemaster too.does everything I need it for,and I don't go anywhere without it. do want to look into the
 phone apps now that I finally upgraded my phone.

Definately check out the navionics app. Does everything I need, dont even carry anything else no more. Alot cheaper too, well if you already have a smart phone it is ::)

aquaman

« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2013, 11:49 AM »
Does a Navonics fish n chip run in the Magellan line. Is it a micro chip or sd card? do units have a slot for both

gearheart

« Reply #11 on: Jun 24, 2013, 06:50 PM »
Magellan have a slot for a mini SD card. It's about the size of a fingernail.  Goes in under the batteries inside the unit.  Smartphone apps are a lot cheaper. just keep the phone in a ziplock bag. They don't do well in the water.

aquaman

« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 2013, 07:08 PM »
thanks gear  settled on the Magellan 510 but having trouble with the appropriate chip. the great lakes chip is no longer available only in flash whatever that means. Theres a 510 bundle with nav gold available but no info available for where the chip covers. This stuff is kickin my butt.Also sez 15 hrs of battery but doesn't say what batt. offers wall charger so does that mean you charge it and not use AA batts?

aquaman

« Reply #13 on: Jun 26, 2013, 04:20 PM »
Update: Scrapped the 510 for a 610 with the nav gold n.y. chip. Only 99 bucks but gps store gave me 20 off and a smoking deal to upgrade to a 610 for an additional 20 Evens out. checked ebay and Magellan site and nobody could even get close to this deal. N.y. chip gets inland and great lakes where the east chip for 169 gets coast and great lakes only.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.